The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 PM

I've played more than a few Godin nylon stringers, and the ergonomics just don't fit me. It always ends up with the peghead way too far away for comfortable playing, I really need a 12 fret neck.

Mike
Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
I've played more than a few Godin nylon stringers, and the ergonomics just don't fit me. It always ends up with the peghead way too far away for comfortable playing, I really need a 12 fret neck.

Mike
My Godin is a 12 fret... 2" nut width Concert Grand Duet.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensicguy View Post
But that's a problem for me with Godin's; great guitars though they might be, the necks are either too long or the nut width is too wide!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Yep, but by the time I played one of those, I already had a Taylor NS, a Gibson Chet Atkins CE, and a custom-made nylon stringer. The Godin didn’t offer a clear advantage to those, so I never pursued it.

The 2" wide nut is a hair wider than I like, also.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I have one of them. Great guitar.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:33 PM

I'm curious to know the difference in tone between the older Godin Grand concert with the RMC hexaphonic's and the newer Duet Ambiance. Anyone able to compare?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 PM

I have a Godin nylon, I think it's an ACS, with the synth pickup. I have a Roland synth, but haven't had a lot of time to work with it. I like it better than my Gibson Chet Atkins CE, not sure why. I do have a Guild Mark V for playing acoustic, as well as a very intro level Bernabe, so I the Godin is really only for use when I need to amp it.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Thumbs up

I have a Grand Concert SA (with the synth access), and also their new Grand Concert Ambiance (with the custom Fishman imaging electronics package), and I love 'em both. Being a long-time nylon player, the 12-fret neck and 2" nut suit me very well, and the slight radius makes for a very comfy neck for me.

Another thing I've come to really like about the Godins are the control sliders in the upper-left bout. At first I wasn't sure about the idea, thinking that knobs would be much more intuitive. But I've realized that being able to visually review all your settings at a glance is a huge advantage, and with a little practice using the sliders, tweaking your volumes, EQ or whatever is very easy.

Actually, the only change I would make to Godins is cosmetic -- a little trim around the edges would set it off nicely. I may have to indulge in a little custom abalone inlay work one of these days.
2010 Godin Grand Concert Ambiance
2003 Godin Grand Concert SA MIDI-Classic
1995 Custom Turner Renaissance MIDI-Classic
2004 Yamaha CGX-171SCF Electric-Flamenco
1972 Alvarez-Yairi 5032 Classic
1989 Custom Vlado Proskurniak Hybrid Flamenco-Classic
2002 Ibanez PM-100 (Pat Metheny model)
2004 Custom Filomino Strat-clone
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM

In regards to the scale length, I've heard this several times about Godin. But isn't 25.5" the normal scale length? Every classical I've looked at had that scale length, so why are people saying that the Godin's have a longer than normal scale length?

What am i missing here?

Basses:
Ernie Ball/Music Man Stingray 4 HS
Old 09-13-2010, 06:07 PM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

Too heavy and awkward for a nylon, but sounds great when plugged in.

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball Jones View Post
In regards to the scale length, I've heard this several times about Godin. But isn't 25.5" the normal scale length? Every classical I've looked at had that scale length, so why are people saying that the Godin's have a longer than normal scale length?

What am i missing here?
It's where that 25.5" is distributed. On a classical, the strings go quite a long across the main box of the guitar, which means there isn't too much neck to negotiate. On a Godin, a lot of the 25.5" is in the neck, which can be less comfortable.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:52 AM

I exchanged my Godin Multiac SA for the Grand Concert SA, since the Multiac was designed to played either resting on the right leg or standing, and the Grand Concert the ergonomics are the same as a classical guitar and ok for resting on the left leg.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
I exchanged my Godin Multiac SA for the Grand Concert SA, since the Multiac was designed to played either resting on the right leg or standing, and the Grand Concert the ergonomics are the same as a classical guitar and ok for resting on the left leg.
Do you find that the neck feels just like a classical, or is it a little easier for us steel string players? I have to say I prefer the overall design of the Grand Concert, but neck on a standard classical is a problem for me.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 PM

I owned a Duet for years and it definitely had some good points. I was playing Gypsy Kings, Strunz and Farah and some Brazilian music.

The Good;
The duet really helps with body taps since it has a built-in mic. It also helped with mellowing the quack of the piezo. Of course you can get too much mic and have feedback problems, but I found that it handled higher volumes better than full acoustic guitars. The smaller body and access up the neck were also very nice for gigging. I found it to be very versatile.

The Bad;
As with most mass produced instruments there can be a huge differences in each instrument. My friends and I owned 4 duets and there were huge differences in acoustic properties, pup response and intonation. The cedar top with a satin finish typically gave the instrument a more dynamic and open sound even with the lack of body. The high gloss spruce held up better to body taps but sounded fairly dead (when directly compared to the cedar/satin). I didn't like the 1 7/8" nut, the radius of the fret board or the fact that the SA version was the only one that came with an ebony board (but these are personal preferences).

Overall;
If I was still gigging.....I would probably buy a Grand Concert Duet and be quite happy, but would still try and stick a mic in front an actual acoustic whenever I got the chance.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Do you find that the neck feels just like a classical, or is it a little easier for us steel string players? I have to say I prefer the overall design of the Grand Concert, but neck on a standard classical is a problem for me.
Neck does feel a little better than a standard classical, the radiused fingerboard does make barre passages a bit easier.

Andy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical