The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 07:35 PM

Default Adi topped Furch owners

So on my quest of finding a new guitar, I've stumbled upon a new Furch millenial series with a nice Adirondack top. Believe it was a G24 with EIR back and sides.

So can anyone give me an opinion on the Adi topped Furch's? In general, are the millenial series consistent on how they sound? Unfortunately, if be buying sight unseen as Furchs are quite rare up here.

Specifically how do they compare to their cedar topped siblings in terms of responsiveness?

This would be a guitar just for fingerstyle, and would see if others have found Adi+ Furch voicing to be a good fit.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:15 PM

I hv not played an adi top. Around here an adi top furch is quite rare. On the Stonebridge website under marketplace they have a list of a few dealers in Ontario. Why not call them and ask!
Old 02-18-2018, 03:30 AM

I can’t help with the adi top question I am afraid, but I do have two Furch Millenium series guitars - one spruce/rosewood and one cedar/mahogany. They definitely share a consistency in style/sound (both are OM) with the cedar sounding typically sweeter and more balanced in the mid range, and the spruce sounding louder and more resonant with more bass and treble. I like them both very much.

I would love to hear an adi topped Furch...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-18-2018, 06:08 AM

I haven’t played an adi-topped Furch either I’m afraid but have played many Furch guitars over the last few years and we own two - OM23sf (spruce maple) and OM34sr (spruce rosewood).

The maple model (Millenium) is predictably very direct with a great tone for fingerstyle and soloing. The top is aged and helps give the guitar a healthy volume and projection for its small size.

The rosewood model (Vintage) is a monster! It is my loudest guitar and projects even better than the other Furch, my Taylor or even my vintage Guild D35. The rosewood back is a dark chocolate colour and has some of the prettiest and straightest grain I have ever seen on IER.

Furch are very consistent in their production in my experience though I have read some negative opinions (on AGF amongst others). They do seem to be lightly built compared to some other builders. That is not necessarily a bad thing - but it could lead to being sensitive to humidity or temperature changes: the maple guitar has a tiny separation of the top just below the fingerboard at the sound hole but as it is stable we haven’t done anything about it. The rosewood model is just fine.

Both our guitars have the narrower fingerboard profile which suits us perfectly: more D28 than OM28. That said, I played a walnut b/s G model a few weeks ago and that felt and sounded fantastic in my hands.

So although we can’t answer specific questions about adi tops I would buy another Furch in a heartbeat without trying it first - as long as there was the option to send it back if there was something wrong with the specific example they sent me.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-18-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I hv not played an adi top. Around here an adi top furch is quite rare. On the Stonebridge website under marketplace they have a list of a few dealers in Ontario. Why not call them and ask!
Actually talked to them about a G23CR, but those have been out of stock like a lot of different places.
But that's a good idea which completely skipped my mind. Ill give Roger from Stonebridge guitars a shout and ask him his thoughts.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I can’t help with the adi top question I am afraid, but I do have two Furch Millenium series guitars - one spruce/rosewood and one cedar/mahogany. They definitely share a consistency in style/sound (both are OM) with the cedar sounding typically sweeter and more balanced in the mid range, and the spruce sounding louder and more resonant with more bass and treble. I like them both very much.

I would love to hear an adi topped Furch...
do you find its easy to get a good sound out of both the Sitka and the Cedar topped guitars? I play quite softly with the pads of my fingers.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Furch are very consistent in their production in my experience though I have read some negative opinions (on AGF amongst others). They do seem to be lightly built compared to some other builders. That is not necessarily a bad thing - but it could lead to being sensitive to humidity or temperature changes: the maple guitar has a tiny separation of the top just below the fingerboard at the sound hole but as it is stable we haven’t done anything about it. The rosewood model is just fine.

Both our guitars have the narrower fingerboard profile which suits us perfectly: more D28 than OM28. That said, I played a walnut b/s G model a few weeks ago and that felt and sounded fantastic in my hands.

So although we can’t answer specific questions about adi tops I would buy another Furch in a heartbeat without trying it first - as long as there was the option to send it back if there was something wrong with the specific example they sent me.
thanks for the input, that was quite informative. Good point on the lightly built construction potentially needing more care on humidty.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 PM

I have a Furch OM35-AR (adirondack rosewood). It is my favorite guitar. It is light and responsive. the build is exceptional for the price. I ordered directly from Furch and picked it up on a vacation. I play almost exclusively fingerstyle and it fits the bill perfectly. It is crisp and balanced. I keep all my guitars properly humidified and have had absolutely no issues with it (4 years old). If you can't care for a quality instrument by keeping it properly humidified don't buy one.This recurring comment on AGF about Furch guitars being prone to damage is unjustified as far as I am concerned. Take care of it and you will not have a problem. If you can't, buy a carbon fiber guitar
Old 02-18-2018, 10:40 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
So can anyone give me an opinion on the Adi topped Furch's? In general, are the millenial series consistent on how they sound? Unfortunately, if be buying sight unseen as Furchs are quite rare up here.
I've never played a Furch, but every one of my guitars has an Adirondack top. I'm drawn to that top wood. I'm not sure how to explain why I love it so much. I'll try though: I think it adds sparkle to the trebles, a kind of melancholy to the mids, and a nice quality to the bass that I just don't hear as much from Sitka. Of course the back matters too, but I hear something in Adirondack guitars that seems to come out regardless of the back wood. Oh, and it's got tons of headroom. You can play soft or hard as rocks and it handles it. So my opinion is that if you're buying sight unseen, you could do much worse. That's assuming you're an Adirondack kinda guy (or gal).
Old 02-18-2018, 10:43 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
do you find its easy to get a good sound out of both the Sitka and the Cedar topped guitars? I play quite softly with the pads of my fingers.
In my considered opinion, Adirondack is a good choice for you because it can respond to light touch with nice volume. That's been my experience on three different makers: Eastman, Martin and SCGC, especially the SCGC, which is a very lightweight guitar.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
In my considered opinion, Adirondack is a good choice for you because it can respond to light touch with nice volume. That's been my experience on three different makers: Eastman, Martin and SCGC, especially the SCGC, which is a very lightweight guitar.
This is confusing to me as I've read here several times that adi is less responsive for finger style but has a lot of head room for a flat picker. (Someone posted a "top responsiveness" chart one time also)

I have also read is that cedar is the way to go for finger style. I play finger style on mostly sitka tops with one cedar top Seagull, which may not count. (Maybe the player's right hand attack actually overrides all of this.)

I'd love to get a cedar/rosewood or walnut or hog G22 (or 23)-C. Great looking and sounding guitars.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:33 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
This is confusing to me as I've read here several times that adi is less responsive for finger style but has a lot of head room for a flat picker. (Someone posted a "top responsiveness" chart one time also)

I have also read is that cedar is the way to go for finger style. I play finger style on mostly sitka tops with one cedar top Seagull, which may not count. (Maybe the player's right hand attack actually overrides all of this.)
I can only judge this by my own guitars. My 00 Skye is so responsive that you barely touch a string and you get a nice response. I can play it just hitting strings on the frets and it plays loud. If I cough in my room, every one of my Adirondack guitars rings out in response (it's kinda weird and cool). Cedar, in my opinion, needs a stronger attack to ring out than Adirondack or even Sitka, and it gets mushy with too much enthusiasm applied.

Take the Skye 00 again as an example. It was designed by a finger style guitarist for, fingerstyle, and his choice was Adirondack for the top for that purpose. The old Blues finger style guitars from the 30s and 40s mostly used Adirondack. Must be something to it if one sees it on a lot of guitars designed mainly for finger style.

Cedar is a bit too subdued for my tastes. I always seem to gravitate to the Adirondack over everything else.

Last edited by Guest 1511; 02-19-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:

Yes - the Sitka requires a little more effort to get the right sound but has no shortage of volume. The cedar/hog is warmer and a bit easier to reach for - seems to require less concentration and commitment if that masked sense.

I play fingerstyle with fingers/nails.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
I can only judge this by my own guitars. My 00 Skye is so responsive that you barely touch a string and you get a nice response. I can play it just hitting strings on the frets and it plays loud. If I cough in my room, every one of my Adirondack guitars rings out in response (it's kinda weird and cool). Cedar, in my opinion, needs a stronger attack to ring out than Adirondack or even Sitka, and it gets mushy with too much enthusiasm applied.

Take the Skye 00 again as an example. It was designed by a finger style guitarist for, fingerstyle, and his choice was Adirondack for the top for that purpose. The old Blues finger style guitars from the 30s and 40s mostly used Adirondack. Must be something to it if one sees it on a lot of guitars designed mainly for finger style.

Cedar is a bit too subdued for my tastes. I always seem to gravitate to the Adirondack over everything else.
Thanks FR.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:34 AM

I'm late to the party it seems, but I think you'll like my reply below.

2 yrs back, I was auditioning a Furch G25 adi-rosewood and a Furch G25 cedar-rosewood (not back to back though.. in different shops but on the same day).

I was willing to pay more for the adi top, but because I'm primarily a fingerstyle player, who likes to play loud too, I was really looking for the most responsive guitar for my relatively dynamic fingerstyle playing.

the adi top was sweet, but the cedar won for it's response to fingerstyle. as with most cedar tops, it gives a more immediate volume response when you pluck from soft to hard.

needless to say, I bought the cedar-rosewood G25!

having said that, I tried the Furch adi top against 2 other branded adi top guitars.. I noticed that the response and volume varied significantly between the 3 adi top guitars. the Furch was ok, the B* brand was very unresponsive to fingerstyle, and the M* brand was absolutely phenomenal in it's response to fingerstyle. this tells me that how the adi guitar was built matters alot to whether it's responsive to fingerstyle.

so back to Furch, I think if you yearn for cedar-like response, you should go with the cedar, and not so much the adi.

that's my take. hope it helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion