The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 05:57 PM

The builder can instantly tell you if a reshape is realistic or not. It's not a difficult question for the person who made the guitar! I'll tell you, though, that it is never, ever possible to fully specify a neck shape in advance. You will very likely get what you want, but there's no guarantee of it. Even slight differences in the curve of the shoulders, for ex., feel amazingly different in the hand. I would see the guitar and buy one that sounded equally good and felt better. I do not believe in the idea that there is a single guitar that is the only place in the universe where a particular tone can be found. Others may successfully order instruments, specific designs, etc., but I am much happier dealing with existing things and choosing from among them. So I would seek a guitar that had what I wanted, rather than seeking to have one remade into something closer to my wishes. Up to you. In any case, good luck. I'm sure the builder will give you a straight, square answer, and I would trust his judgment.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
I keep coming back to spending more money on a long and expensive “fix” that may be very tricky to do and might devalue or effect the tone.
I’m going to sell it to someone who will enjoy it as is. Then all I have to do is mail order another very expensive guitar that looks like it sounds as good and I’ll have my new greatest OM ever .

That's a great plan, you could end up spending a lot and ruining an otherwise great guitar. There are so many other fantastic guitars available, enjoy the search for one that suits you better and let us know what you find.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-19-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
That's a great plan, you could end up spending a lot and ruining an otherwise great guitar. There are so many other fantastic guitars available, enjoy the search for one that suits you better and let us know what you find.
Thx, Dwight. I’m good with it!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I have experienced the issue of undesirable ergonomics on otherwise excellent guitars. Two times it was a neck issue and my problem was the opposite of yours in that I wanted a thicker neck. One was a wingert and one a Brondel. In both cases I had new necks made and was very happy with the results. I now have some pretty good quantitative specs.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Appreciate the responses very much (ignoring the obligatory snarky one that pricier guitars seem to always incite).

I keep coming back to spending more money on a long and expensive “fix” that may be very tricky to do and might devalue or effect the tone.

I’m going to sell it to someone who will enjoy it as is. Then all I have to do is mail order another very expensive guitar that looks like it sounds as good and I’ll have my new greatest OM ever .

As always, the support here at this forum is excellent and appreciated!
Almost every time I have dealt with a builder I have been humbled by their knowledge, their practicality and their willingness to help. You have a great guitar, made by a masterful builder...have you talked directly with him yet about your needs? I really hope you do before you make a decision to sell, as the fix may not be as hard or as tone affecting as you think. It's just a phone call

I also think that it is worth the effort because you like everything else about this guitar and if you sell this one the next one you try may have issues of its own.

Best of luck,
Col
Old 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Appreciate the responses very much (ignoring the obligatory snarky one that pricier guitars seem to always incite).

As always, the support here at this forum is excellent and appreciated!
Hmm, that's a shame. I doubt reshaping the neck would devalue the guitar since it's a handmade item, as opposed to a factory model where all necks are expected to be the same. Unless a buyer is specifically looking for a Franklin with a beefy neck, then the reshaped neck could just as well have been that way from the start. As long as the refinish blends with the rest of the guitar, then your guitar's value should be exactly the same as it was before the reshape.

Tone wise you won't notice much of a difference. And if the builder does the work, there's no risk. They made the neck and the guitar, so they can change it They can also make a new neck if necessary.

Uber-builder Kathy Wingert is completely fearless when reshaping necks on her finished guitars if it makes the player happier.

If you really love the tone, I'd encourage you to reconsider. A wise man once told me "never sell tone." He is right.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:24 AM

Default Update

Thanks again for all the advice, folks.

I reluctantly decided to sell the Franklin but feel good supporting a great NC shop by putting it straight to consignment. Dropped it off with Lowe Vintage Instruments in NC yesterday and it’s already on their site.

https://lowevintage.com/products/?id=502

Great shop with an amazing selection of vintage and newer guitars with absolutely beautiful, friendly folks. I highly rec a visit if you are nearby.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
A reshape is very easy to do -- the problem is the finish work. Getting the wood to match can be difficult unless the entire neck is stripped and redone. IT may be possible to do a burst on the neck and that may save time -- assuming it works with the guitars aesthetic. Regardless, talk to the builder and see what they can do and for how much. IF you love the guitar then it's a shame not to keep it.
It could be left with a speed neck. Then it will feel better and play faster/smoother!
Old 03-15-2018, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
...The one problem is correctable.......
I think correcting this is a major undertaking, even for the original luthier who built it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

I sent a Kopp K 35 back to Kevin, While I like a full neck it was too rounded for my taste, he shaved the shoulders and gave it more of a V. I should add he was very happy to try to get it to what I was looking for. Superb service.
I'm sure Frankln would do the same, the difficulty is communicating what you want.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:15 AM

I hate to say it but I would go with reshaping the neck. There is a nice little cottage industry out there of reshaping square neck Oahus and others. It does take a lot off the value when compared to one of the rarer factory round necks. But if a guitar does not feel right then it really does not matter how it sounds. I have just the opposite problem. I own a 1950s Gibson CF-100 which is not only one of the sexist looking guitars on the planet but is the best sounding LG-2-ish Gibson I have ever run across. But the neck carve is just too thin for me and consequently I do not play it near as much as others. While as some of the worst mistakes I have ever made were selling or trading off certain guitars, I have not done anything yet, I cannot shake the notion that it may be time for us to part ways.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Dilemma. I have a Franklin OM and I absolutely love the tone. Lightly built but solid, responsive, powerful yet sweet. Exactly what I want in a mohagany OM.

The problem is the neck. It’s very beefy and I just can’t comfortably play it without a significant adjustment time and then it makes my hand sore. Then when I go back to my other favorites I have to re-adjust again.

Sell it (and take a bloodbath) and find something comparable or send it to Mr. Kukich to have the neck reshaped? I’ve had it for a while and don’t think getting used to it is an option for me. Thx for any input!
The neck, IMHO, is the most important part of the guitar. If it doesn't suit my hands, it doesn't matter how it sounds or looks. It won't be easy or enjoyable to play. So.....................onto the next.

Maybe you could try trading it on the used market.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:51 PM

I personally would move on to a different guitar. Did the comfort issue arise over time or from the beginning? Point being, how do you insure that you don’t repeat the same issue? Suggest playing any “new to you” guitar before purchasing so you’re not back where you started.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I had just this issue and opted for a neck reshape after consulting the builder. I am so happy I did it. It did not lose anything tone wise and I opted to have the neck oiled as opposed to re-lacquered. Great decision as it makes for both a comfortable and fast neck.

Re-sale was not a consideration as I have no intention of ever selling this guitar.

I hope you find a resolution that works for you.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-15-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I had just this issue and opted for a neck reshape after consulting the builder. I am so happy I did it. It did not lose anything tone wise and I opted to have the neck oiled as opposed to re-lacquered. Great decision as it makes for both a comfortable and fast neck.

Re-sale was not a consideration as I have no intention of ever selling this guitar.

I hope you find a resolution that works for you.

Best,
Jayne
Wish I had done that with my CEO-7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion