The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2018, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Cool Last Night's Gig w/ 2 Bose Rigs...

As many of you know, I have a Bose L1 Model II rig that I absolutely love the sound of, along with it's "well-mannered" nature when performing...

One thing I've known about was that these Bose systems are "really" designed for one player, and that multiple players in the same group would ideally have their own Bose system to play through...

Of course, the cost is nearly prohibitive for many, but, in my mind, I questioned how well two of the Bose L1 series would "play together"...

Last night, I had a gig with a friend, a recent playing partner... he plays electric and acoustic guitar and usually amplifies the electrics through one of his guitar amps, but he does own a Bose L1s, too. After working with his Telecaster through his Bose PA, he decided that he'd bring only that, for both electric and acoustic guitar.

We've played out a few times, either through his Bose or my own Model II; once we just used my AER and his Loudbox Mini... and the sound was very good, regardless of which system we employed. I was, however, a bit concerned about using both systems in a medium-small venue where both rigs would be within 8' of each other, as well as pretty close to each of us.

Well, now I know why Bose recommends that each performer has their own system: IT SOUNDED GLORIOUS!!!

Smooth, even, not a whisper of any conflicting frequencies... I could hear him perfectly, and he could hear both my voice and guitar in the same fashion. One of the audience members remarked that the sound was "like some sort of 'Super Stereo' or something"... both of us were distinctly heard, but the balance between us was perfect!

Not to mention that we could tweak our own sound, each independent of the other... (using 2 T1's).

Plus the set-up was still a breeze, as well as carrying the gear in/out of the place...

I know it's pricey, but using separate L1 systems is REALLY the way to go, for a duo or trio... the sound is SO much better...

I'm SO looking forward to the next gig where we can both use the pair together!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Cool! ... having great sound and appreciative crowd is very fulfilling..
Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Any $6K system should sound "glorious".
Old 02-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
Well, more like $4k, but you are right... it should sound glorious and it does!

Expensive as that gear is, it is REALLY nice to finally (after nearly 50 years of using all manner of PA gear) have a great sounding, manageable, easy to set up PA rig...
are near...

Old 02-18-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
$3K each at Sweetwater with one B1 bass module and matching ToneMatch mixer. Other configurations priced proportionately.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Depending on how the Tax Fairy treats us this year, we plan to buy a second L1C for our acoustic trio, which is three voices and one guitar. We run everything into a small mixer then to the Bose, and the sound, volume and projection is more than adequate for most of our venues. We do have some larger rooms coming up, however, and feel the second L1C might be in order.

Interestingly, I did just today pull out my old Carvin system that I had used for years, a powered mixer and speakers on sticks. I found I simply did not like the sound of this system. Oh, it'll do in a pinch, but I have been spoiled by the sound of the Bose.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Depending on how the Tax Fairy treats us this year, we plan to buy a second L1C for our acoustic trio, which is three voices and one guitar. We run everything into a small mixer then to the Bose, and the sound, volume and projection is more than adequate for most of our venues. We do have some larger rooms coming up, however, and feel the second L1C might be in order.

Interestingly, I did just today pull out my old Carvin system that I had used for years, a powered mixer and speakers on sticks. I found I simply did not like the sound of this system. Oh, it'll do in a pinch, but I have been spoiled by the sound of the Bose.
That's different than having two players each with their own, and what you need to watch out for is phase issues (in the listening area), due to having a different distance from each tower. I've struggled when there was a Bose tower about 10 feet away and a monitor right in front of me, the delay/phase issue from the tower was really annoying.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 AM

I use the bose too. My brother has the same set up. We use one or two depending on venue, we use two with a trio and we use use two as powered speakers with a 16 channel board for a full 6 piece band. We take the speaker outs with XLR to 1/4 TRS in the analog input and use that to run full band. Easy set up. We use our HUGE QSC speakers and monitors for large outdoor venues with the full band. Love Bose products. I also have the original fishman soloamp and that has served me well too for acoustic solo gigs. I still drag that one out too. Great choices for all.
1993 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Little Martin travel guitar
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM

People tell us we sound good with our $1000 system.
Two powered speakers, a mixer and a sub.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post

Hard to explain the difference between having everything going through one of the Bose rigs (which works and I've heard sound very good with 6 different signal sources) and having each player running their own Bose...

Although the audience reports were that everything blended and sounded great together (in this instance, one voice, 6 or 12 string acoustic guitar and one electric or acoustic guitar), it was just SO different to be able to adjust an aspect of MY sound without affecting his sound, and vice-versa.

Absolutely ZERO "sonic insubordination" between my guitars and my partners'; I've played with another player when we both had acoustic guitars and there can be some furious cross-frequency intermingling that doesn't sound good at all... none of that with this set-up, even though we were each only 6-8' away from the other system, and we both were within 4' of our own rigs...

Set-up is marginally more difficult with two systems, but the difference in sound quality makes that extra effort well worth it... if you have two Compacts, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and take both of them with you, even to a smaller gig... we had an L1 Model II and an L1s (soloist), but they worked perfectly together. There was no "phase" foul-up out in the audience, either, and we had listeners in several spots in the entire depth of the room who were "paying attention"...
are near...

Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
$3K each at Sweetwater with one B1 bass module and matching ToneMatch mixer. Other configurations priced proportionately.
Bought my L1 for $2000 used with the T1... my buddy got his L1 Soloist and T1, new, for around $1500...

There are always "work arounds" than can be found...
are near...

Old 02-20-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
That's different than having two players each with their own, and what you need to watch out for is phase issues (in the listening area), due to having a different distance from each tower. I've struggled when there was a Bose tower about 10 feet away and a monitor right in front of me, the delay/phase issue from the tower was really annoying.
I tried using two L1 Model II's for New Year's Eve a few years back and preferred both my guitar and vocals through a single unit. Bass support was definitely better with the extra bottom end and I wonder if it wasn't a phase issue that caused my problem with using two at once.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Why bother with a monitor when using multiple Bose systems??
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Why bother with a monitor when using multiple Bose systems??
It was an odd set up (not mine) - large square room, but the 'stage' was facing a bar (4 feet in front of the mics) with the Bose tower off to one side (past the open doorway into the room).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
That was one of the cool things about using the two L1 systems; there was none of that phase interference to deal with... plus, an added bonus? Because each unit was "working less" to put out the same sound pressure level, the overall volume was less demanding on the units... each of us had our main volumes lower than when we've played together through the same rig... and the signal from each unit spread throughout the room evenly...

Hope that makes sense...
are near...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification