The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2017, 12:43 PM

Default Boss AD-2 vs Bodyrez

I another thread I asked for help in taming the under saddle pickup Quack in my guitar. I got many great responses.
I would like to limit this to just the 2 pedals listed in the title if i may. They are the same price. The Boss can use a 9v Battery, but does not come with a power source. That is extra.
Just to list the current chain. CF guitar with Fishman Prefix Plus to TC Harmony Singer to RCF Lapd mixer to Bose L1 compact.
If you were to choose between these 2 which one? Has anyone tried both?
Thanks all for any help.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:16 PM

If I were you, I wouldn’t count on our opinion. We all have different gear in our chain and that makes a difference. Also tons of variables in what we like. You should buy both at a store that accepts returns and gives a full refund return. Try them out and see which works best in your set up. Guitar Center does this if returned within 30 days and the condition is same as when you bought it (no damage).
Old 10-05-2017, 03:29 PM

The Body Rez is nice but it scoops mids a little too heavily for my taste as you turn it up and it can't be powered via-battery, which makes it a no-go for open mics and events like that. I haven't tried the Boss but in true Boss fashion, they stumbled across someone else's effect and improved upon it with more tunability, function, and convenience. The Boss is probably similar and can even act as a DI so, that's pretty cool.

Their new AD-10 pedal looks positively futuristic.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

I own both and gig with both extensively as a full-time musician, here's my take:

* I use the Body Rez on my Pro Series Cooltube equipped Taks when I play large venues at high volumes and use it ever so slightly set at about 10 o'clock...this gives it just a tweak of mid scoop and compression, any more then that causes the highs to thin out, mids too scooped and low end muddy. Just a touch goes a long way to adding a more natural flavor. At smaller venues I bypass it because at lower volumes I'm not quackin' out and my Cooltube sounds great direct into Loudbox Performer or my Artist.

* I use the Boss AD-2 on my D18 equipped Baggs M80 to tweak to the mids that are associated with mag pickups. The AD-2's notch filter really dials in the sweet spot for an already great sounding mag. It too has a touch of compression and saturation. Again a little goes a long way and I set the resonance at 10 to 11 o'clock. I did not like how the Body Rez sounded with the M80, it works better for a UST as was intended. The AD-2 has a very natural acoustic flavor moreso then the Body Rez.

** Overall the AD-2 works and sounds better imo and a bit more versitile then the Body Rez with the AD-2 having more features ie outputs, battery operation, an ambience which dials in a nice lite reverb etc... The AD-2 sounded good with my Tak equipped Cooltube too. However I run 3 different rigs for the many different venues I perform at playing a wide range of material that requires versatility.
I should also mention that the Body Rez phase changing feature is nice on the fly at high volume feedback encounters, but overall if I had to choose one it would be the Boss AD-2 from the many hours and gigs I've used them both at. They both yield a nice tone if used in small amounts.

Hope this has been helpful,

eric
Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
I own both and gig with both extensively as a full-time musician, here's my take:

* I use the Body Rez on my Pro Series Cooltube equipped Taks when I play large venues at high volumes and use it ever so slightly set at about 10 o'clock...this gives it just a tweak of mid scoop and compression, any more then that causes the highs to thin out, mids too scooped and low end muddy. Just a touch goes a long way to adding a more natural flavor. At smaller venues I bypass it because at lower volumes I'm not quackin' out and my Cooltube sounds great direct into Loudbox Performer or my Artist.

* I use the Boss AD-2 on my D18 equipped Baggs M80 to tweak to the mids that are associated with mag pickups. The AD-2's notch filter really dials in the sweet spot for an already great sounding mag. It too has a touch of compression and saturation. Again a little goes a long way and I set the resonance at 10 to 11 o'clock. I did not like how the Body Rez sounded with the M80, it works better for a UST as was intended. The AD-2 has a very natural acoustic flavor moreso then the Body Rez.

** Overall the AD-2 works and sounds better imo and a bit more versitile then the Body Rez with the AD-2 having more features ie outputs, battery operation, an ambience which dials in a nice lite reverb etc... The AD-2 sounded good with my Tak equipped Cooltube too. However I run 3 different rigs for the many different venues I perform at playing a wide range of material that requires versatility.
I should also mention that the Body Rez phase changing feature is nice on the fly at high volume feedback encounters, but overall if I had to choose one it would be the Boss AD-2 from the many hours and gigs I've used them both at. They both yield a nice tone if used in small amounts.

eric
Great info, just what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:51 AM

Once again NoleDog comes through with excellent recommendation..
Thanks Eric!

I finally picked up a Boss AD-2 yesterday to use with my Baggs M80 equipped J-35...
It was the missing link that I have been looking for!

Since the Bodyrez function of my Play Acoustic doesn't really mesh well with the M80.

As ND said below, it tweaks the mids associated with Mag Pickups. To me if the Acoustic Resonance is used right (meaning not too much .. Below 12 noon) it kinda opens things up...Along with the Ambiance feature which is s subtle reverb. Produces airiness to the overall tone/mix .. Hard to explain. Still playing with the Notch filter and I haven't played out with it yet.

In addition, 2 outputs including a balanced out for a TRS cable...
So one output can go to my Play Acoustic for Harmony chord detection and the balanced out direct to my PA or mixer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post

eric
Old 02-17-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Once again NoleDog comes through with excellent recommendation..
Thanks Eric!

I finally picked up a Boss AD-2 yesterday to use with my Baggs M80 equipped J-35...
It was the missing link that I have been looking for!

Since the Bodyrez function of my Play Acoustic doesn't really mesh well with the M80.

As ND said below, it tweaks the mids associated with Mag Pickups. To me if the Acoustic Resonance is used right (meaning not too much .. Below 12 noon) it kinda opens things up...Along with the Ambiance feature which is s subtle reverb. Produces airiness to the overall tone/mix .. Hard to explain. Still playing with the Notch filter and I haven't played out with it yet.

In addition, 2 outputs including a balanced out for a TRS cable...
So one output can go to my Play Acoustic for Harmony chord detection and the balanced out direct to my PA or mixer.
Glad to hear that Jake! I set the resonance at around 9 o'clock, the ambience around 11 depending on my MXR Carbon Copy delay setting, then the notch filter seems to dial in nicely at around noon to filter out any honky miss while bringing in a nice, articulate clarity...it definitely works well with M80!

Cheers mate!

eric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification