The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2018, 12:33 AM

Default Fishman Loudbox Tolex Covering

I purchased a floor model new Fishman Loudbox Performer from Alto Music for a good discount. I didn’t inspect it well enough until I got it home. The tolex is trashed. I contacted Fishman and they offered to replace the amp for $50 plus round trip shipping.

My problem is that the OEM tolex is super thin and will damage again. I can replace the tolex with high quality tolex that will really last for less than $40.

What would you do?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-02-2018, 08:39 AM

I talked to a Fishman support person last year and he told me the new covering they are using is heavier than the old covering. Round-trip shipping is going to be costly though.
Epiphone Dot
Old 02-10-2018, 10:57 PM

I finally decided to replace the tolex myself. I purchased high quality brown tolex. I already have the adhesive on hand. I’ll wait until it gets warm enough to work in my garage to do the job.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 02-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I finally decided to replace the tolex myself. I purchased high quality brown tolex. I already have the adhesive on hand. I’ll wait until it gets warm enough to work in my garage to do the job.
Yeah sometimes you gotta do the job yourself to do it right. I thought I read somewhere that Fishman was going to upgrade its Tolex, since it's notoriously trashy on these units. Very strange approach to quality, except I suppose for the fact they keep selling them.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:04 AM

I had a Fishman Loudbox Mini for awhile and the tolex started tearing right away. I am VERY careful with all my instruments and equipment. Turns out, the Fishman cover was causing it. I was really disappointed in the tolex product they use. The amp was great, but I didn't want to deal with it anymore. So I ended up replacing the amp with a different make, that I actually like better (for my needs). So, I just rid myself of the problem.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I had a Fishman Loudbox Mini for awhile and the tolex started tearing right away. I am VERY careful with all my instruments and equipment. Turns out, the Fishman cover was causing it. I was really disappointed in the tolex product they use. The amp was great, but I didn't want to deal with it anymore. So I ended up replacing the amp with a different make, that I actually like better (for my needs). So, I just rid myself of the problem.
I'm really careful with my gear as well, and my amp is just shredded, every time I grab the handle, my fingernail pulls more off....and i have the cover as well. I've accepted that the covering sucks...but my concern is the little pieces that come off will find their way into the chassis.

I'm not very handy at fixing things (I usually make them worse) but I refuse to spend $100 round trip to Fishman to have it recovered...so I will just have to be careful none of that nasty stuff gets into the chassis.

Last edited by jricc; 02-12-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Would love to see a step-by-step or You Tube video on repairing/replacing amp tolex if any of you guys ever get inspired!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Good thread. I have a Loudbox Performer, and am always careful with my gear but it has picked up numerous rips in the (ridiculously fragile) tolex. I think that perhaps I'd like to get some nice tweed to replace it with, but don't know how much effort that would require.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox Tolex Covering

I’m not a video guy but will start a new post with pictures when I recover the amp. It will probably not be until April when it gets warm here. I’ll be doing the job in my garage as sanding the case will be required to get a good surface before installing the new Tolex.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 02-13-2018, 06:21 PM

I know I for one will be looking for the video if posted.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

I will also look forward to your video.

Btw, I contacted Fishman and their response was, "It will cost $50 to replace cabinet, plus customer pays for shipping both ways". Smh...
Old 02-16-2018, 09:06 PM

The new models have a pebble grain brown tolex, similar to a Fender amp, or a wood cabinet, with a brown stain. Both very handsome. I have the old stuff, and so far not much wear from my monthly gigs.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:15 PM

Can’t count how many times the crummy covering for the Loudbox has been posted on this forum. I don’t gig with mine much, but despite light use its pretty frayed. Reminds me of the BMW cup holders which are so crummy. Car is great, but the cup holders fail constantly. Problem just keeps going on, because BMW doesn’t fix it. Go figure.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Btw, I contacted Fishman and their response was, "It will cost $50 to replace cabinet, plus customer pays for shipping both ways". Smh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJamie View Post
The new models have a pebble grain brown tolex, similar to a Fender amp, or a wood cabinet, with a brown stain. Both very handsome. I have the old stuff, and so far not much wear from my monthly gigs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
CanÂ’t count how many times the crummy covering for the Loudbox has been posted on this forum. I donÂ’t gig with mine much, but despite light use its pretty frayed. Reminds me of the BMW cup holders which are so crummy. Car is great, but the cup holders fail constantly. Problem just keeps going on, because BMW doesnÂ’t fix it. Go figure.
Please accept my apologies in advance (jricc, DrJamie, gfsark) for the resurrection of this old thread.

Any of you guys know if and when Fishman started manufacturing better (tolex?) amp covering? I have been looking for 2020/21/22/23 news updates about the Fishman "amp skin peeling problem" but haven't found anything yet. Any chance you guys have info regarding IF/WHEN Fishman upgraded their amp exterior covering (tolex?) for the Artist or Performer amps? Was there ever an official or non-official Fishman product update that solved or changed this old "skin peeling" problem?

If I buy an Artist that was built in 2020, or a brand new Fishman amp today, -do you think this old skin problem would (still) show-up?

Thank you in advance for your Fishman experience and any replies.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofantom View Post
I talked to a Fishman support person last year and he told me the new covering they are using is heavier than the old covering. Round-trip shipping is going to be costly though.
Same experience here. I contacted Fishman support prior to purchasing my LBM. Alot of the reviews mentioned the poor quality Tolex. Their support told me they improved the Tolex on the newer amps.

Last edited by GTRGUY005; 02-12-2024 at 08:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification