The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Default sitka spruce coloring

ok, i tried this in the taylor forum, and got no responses. i notice that some of the taylor tops (sitka) can be awfully yellow when they are new. as in almost a maize yellow. i have an older 710 that did the honey fade, but it wasn't this yellow to begin with. does anyone have one that started this straw yellow color, and did it turn honey?

thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 PM

I don't have an answer, but I'm interested in hearing other members' responses. I have a few sitka-topped Taylors, but they are rather new...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 PM

All guitars that are sitka spruce top get a "tan". You can accelerate this by exposing the guitar to direct sun if you leave it out by a window or take out of your house... play live during the day, etc.

Not a bad thing.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
All guitars that are sitka spruce top get a "tan". You can accelerate this by exposing the guitar to direct sun if you leave it out by a window or take out of your house... play live during the day, etc.

Not a bad thing.
right, i know that with my 710, but when i got it, it was more amber to begin with. some of these lower model taylor's tops are maize yellow. i can post a pic if this place allows that.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

I no longer have pictures of my 2002 Taylor 410ce, but it had the typical nearly white top when I got it and by the time I sold it, the top was so dark golden that people often mistook it for cedar.

I think it's just a natural thing that happens over time, regardless whether the guitar is outside, sees sunlight or all that other stuff. Mine just sat on a stand in my little music room and it happened.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 AM

questions about Taylor guitars belong in the Taylor section of the forum...........
Old 05-07-2009, 06:41 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

A quick personal response...guitars and music are personal a lot...

I love the old, old amber of my '55 Gibson J-50. I think it looks mature. The white ones, the almost bleached ones, look anemic and unhealthy. Yes, others might consider the white to be pristine, pure, unused, etc.

I got an instrument that came in colors and I got natural and it was OK. I got another in natural, and then I got a third one and was sent an amber finish by mistake. When I saw it, I thought, "Now THAT is what I call natural!"

I talked to them and told them I would keep the "mistake." I wish now all three had been mistakes and were in amber.

Ken C. (Been gone playing guitars in TX.)
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion