The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Question Search for a 'strong' guitar

Hi,

I am recently a proud owner of a martin om-28v, a guitar which is sensitive and needs a sensible touch and good care.

For several times I have played in local café's and outdoor area's (ofcourse not with the martin).

So, I am searching for a guitar which can handle things as smoke from cigarettes, humidity, sun. However, it still needs to have a nice warm sound and a nicely balanced tone, so a 'motion' is not what I am looking for.

So could somebody give me some advice about a luthier/brand/special wood which survives in conditions as I mentioned before.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Budget?

A Yamaha FS720S comes to mind.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:04 PM

I don't own one myself, but Guild guitars have a reputation for being very solidly built.

I'm sure others on the board will have more suggestions.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
For several times I have played in local café's and outdoor area's (ofcourse not with the martin).
Of course not, why? Dude, guitars are meant to be played out, as long as you use common sense. You wouldn't play anything in direct sunlight on a hot day. Your body wouldn't like it - your guitar wouldn't like it. But shaded outdoor areas and, of course, local cafes, are great spots to play a good guitar.

That old D-28 of mine supported me many a year playing in hot, humid & smoky Kentucky bars.

Pictured below, my old D-28 and my buddy's new HD-28 go to this festival every year, Labor Day weekend outside Yosemite. Our jams have new & old Martins, Collings, even an occasional Taylor allowed...

Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Rainsong's or CA Guitars (Composite Acoustics) are really nice sounding outdoor guitars!! They are very strong and hold up well in tough weather conditions. I guess people have stood on these acoustic guitars and they don't break or crush!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Try a carbon fibre guitar. You can take 'em anywhere without concern for heat or humidity. Heck in an emergency you can use one to paddle your canoe. The brand I'm most familiar with is Composite Acoustics. They have quite a few models in their range and I'm sure you could find one with the balance and tonal qualities that you're looking for.

Here's a link to the CA website where you can read about the various models and listen to some soundclips: http://www.compositeacoustics.com/

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for a Yamaha or Takamine with a good pickup system in it, maybe going through a Fishman Aura stomp box. Using the Aura you can get very usable sounds from a pretty routine UST pickup. Yamaha and Takamine make reasonably priced guitars that if set up well will feel good to play and will hold up well to outdoor conditions and if stolen or damaged won't break the bank.

I heard a pretty good guitar player at my local music store playing a very modestly priced Yamaha through the store's acoustic amp setup and it was quite impressive.

This is just me and my tastes, but if I were looking for a general guitar to play a wide range of songs, from strumming to finger picking, I would be looking for a decent sounding dreadnought, readily available from Yamaha or Takamine.

Good luck with this,
Glenn
Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
+1 On KY Daves advice.... I love my guitars and take good care of them, but that said, I want my "good" ones in my hands even if playing outside. I would draw the line at playing in the rain or snow or cold weather, but if I am comfortable, I figure so is my guitar. For years, all I had was my Taylor 612C and that never stopped me from playing in all kinds or places. If your lucky someday it may have the Mojo of my 64 Gibson LG1. The thing was played hard and put away wet by the prior owner in gigs from Minneapolis to Dublin for years before I got it.... I plan on playing it the same way for the next 45 years! It may not look pretty to anyone but me and others who feel this way about old Gibsons, but it sounds like what a good guitar should should like after 45 years of playing and living the "hard life".

That's a beautiful guitar, Paul. Most of my guitars are "highly mojo-ed" from years of hard playing, bumping mikes, getting beer spilled on them (that usually by me), etc. Love 'em, play 'em, grow old with 'em and never look back.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM

I'd say "Yamaha" because it could withstand great humidity (I live in tropics called Singapore!). Strong because it takes hard knocks and bruise others along the way. Well built and consistent workmanship. The L-series is the way to go. No point buying boutique gutiars if you afraid of knocks, humdiity like that. Those should stay at home for personal enjoyment. Yamaha is the way to go; otherwise, I'd say "Takamine"

Mcilroy A25
Yamaha LL-16 12 Strings
Yamala LL-TA
Headway HD113 STD
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT (classical)
Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
I don't own one myself, but Guild guitars have a reputation for being very solidly built.

I'm sure others on the board will have more suggestions.
Yep. GottaGettaGuild ! and the older the better ...
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-07-2009, 05:00 AM

Besides the possible dings and smells playing outside shouldn't damage a guitar. It's long term exposure to high or low humidity ect that damages guitars. However I do understand you not wanting to play your prize in situations like that. Since you love your Martin, how about a less expensive one for a gigging guitar. How about a 15 or 16 series Martin?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Yamaha or Guild - they are built like tanks.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Yep. GottaGettaGuild ! and the older the better ...
+2 on the Guild. Fantatic sound - great mojo - good price point. Can't go wrong IMHO.

For tonewood go with either rosewood or mahogany - both prevalent on many types of Guilds. Rosewood is a tropical wood by birth - so theoretically might do better in tropical climes. Mahogany will provide a slightly deeper tone.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 AM

I have to agree with the OP...I wouldn't play a Martin in public either

Sorry! Couldn't resist!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 AM

Since you are a Martin fan how about a OM-1?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion