The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Here's a video of Janis Ian doing Somewhere Over The Rainbow with the intro. It comes just after her song 'At Seventeen'. She's not in great voice at the time because of a bronchial infection, but Tommy Emmanuel is there to lend her some support.

Touching performance.

https://youtu.be/lypR-Sw-UhQ

I linked Doris Day earlier. The intro is just too nice to be left off, both the lyric and the melody.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:15 PM

There's a reason it's called sound reinforcement and not sound enforcement. When you have an audience engaged, they are paying attention to the music and mood and are listening or singing along. Playing in a California winery, for example, requires amplification. Just enough to be heard, but not enough to drown out conversation. I was asked to play a scholarship benefit Sunday. Space was very limited and most were seated, so I stood up and played and sang acoustically. Fortunately I have strong vocals. Most I know would not be able to pull that venue off acoustically and tastefully. Whether amplification is needed or not varies by venue and equipment. A loud guitar is acoustically amplified. A resonator guitar is a classic example of acoustic amplification. Ric
Old 09-30-2016, 03:30 AM

I have no gigs that don't require sound reinforcement. Even the restaurants we play at have us playing after the "food rush " is over to keep people there having drinks. Add to that the effects I use and simply don't want to strain vocals overcoming the noise, Some moving tables to create a dance floor. I would not want to play without reinforcement unless it was in my living room.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

Obviously there are some types of gig where sound re-enforcement is necessary - large venues, noisy audiences etc.

It IS worth considering that the Martin size "000" was designed for performing in an "auditorium" unamplified, and that the "OM" and dreadnought sized guitars were designed as rhythm guitars in dance bands and orchestras.

A moderately well trained singer can fill a theatre with their voice unamplified ....because that's what they had to do before p.a.systems became commonplace.

Here in the UK there are, say, four or five types of venues for the acoustic singer-acoustic guitarist:

The Folk club - with numbers between five and 150ish
The Acoustic Music Club (like mine)
The "Open mic" - by definition a miced up venue - usually in a pub.
The Pub gig
The wine bar/cafe type venue.
The Arts Centre, a proper theatre.
Festivals.

In folk clubs, Acoustic clubs, and wine/coffee bars - amp0lification is rarely used.
Open mics, pub gigs - always.
Dining venues - light amplification often necessary
The more formal venues - house systems and engineers expected.

I think that in the UK we have more respect for "ARTS" : "A right to Silence" whilst the performers perform - I once played a "folk club" in Concord (Mass) and thoughout my gig there was one guy noisily "chatting up" a disinterested woman. No-one stopped him! Such a thing would not be acceptable here.

I've sold my Peavey P.a - don't have any bougs in my guitars, and would prefer to play into a condenser mic into a small combo system, and (as on Sunday - Charity festival) rely on a supplied p.a.system.

If I were doing pub gigs (which make good money but I hate) - I'd expect to have to provide a full p.a., and plug in.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:13 AM

Very well this thread is advancing in a strange path!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification