The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2016, 03:58 PM

Default low volume

does anyone else play very low volume? it seems most people play on this forum are playing ;loud . i play mostly restaurants that just want backround music. one place ,i hardly even need any amplification.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:32 PM

Probably many of us who play coffeeshops/restaurants/small events qualify as low volume players.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 09-25-2016, 05:40 PM

Another vote for no amps/PA...and I'm in the PA sound and production business.

I played on the streets back when and learned what it takes to project music and presence. It's not about sheer volume. Knowing something about acoustics and how to arrange the music for best effect seems to be a lost art. It's very true that less can be more and amplification can actually make it worse in many cases.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:03 PM

i defineitely vote for NO amplification. it makes for better listening room. NO effects pedals. NO loopers[ thats my pet peeve].... but on the other hand ;there is no perfect listening place. [venting].
Old 09-25-2016, 06:19 PM

Nothing says "poser" like someone hauling in a porta-PA and a boutique guitar with a raft of electronics to play in a small room to a handfull of people...and posting it on YouTube.

Music is more important than that...

Old 09-25-2016, 06:24 PM

Well this thread is headed in a strange direction!

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
Old 09-25-2016, 06:49 PM

not trying to sound pompous at all here!! but i have to use an amp [fishman solo amp ] and guitar [martin om28]. but i prefer the sound of an acoustic UN amped any day. i don't get noticed too much; and that is OK. a friend of mine plays everywhere with a whole pedalboard and doesn't use half of them. but he is loud and gets lots of attention.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:01 PM

Purism in and of itself is for posers. Look hard for stuff that really turns you on in a creative and musical sense. Amp'd, un-amp'd, wild pedals, whatever. Do your thing.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
not trying to sound pompous at all here!! but i have to use an amp [fishman solo amp ] and guitar [martin om28]. but i prefer the sound of an acoustic UN amped any day. i don't get noticed too much; and that is OK. a friend of mine plays everywhere with a whole pedalboard and doesn't use half of them. but he is loud and gets lots of attention.
I'm curious.

1. Why do you "have to" use an amp?

2. Is your friend playing to get attention or to share the gift of music with the world?

Old 09-25-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Purism in and of itself is for posers. Look hard for stuff that really turns you on in a creative and musical sense. Amp'd, un-amp'd, wild pedals, whatever. Do your thing.
Posers are simply folks who use stuff for the sake of stuff. The point is that none of that stuff is really necessary in the situations where a simple guitar and voice can carry the room with average effort.

That's not purism. That's just being practical.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:09 PM

well ;when i first set up; it is always very quiet in these places . as the night goes on, it gets louder[drinking]. in about an hour ,i can't hardly hear myself .so i turn up ;just a little.... i'm using a few of my buddies as examples[attention ]. they have their own motives.mine is; "it's a hobby i LOVE to do"...and i make a few bucks at it...better than playing golf! right?
Old 09-25-2016, 07:15 PM

If they're drinking I just haul out the accordion...

Old 09-25-2016, 07:15 PM

Wyllys, seems as if you've created a straw-man argument here. If you have a situation where you don't need amplification that is fine but very often, even in a small setting, it is necessary. So you do the best you can. I'm a Fingerstyle player and it is pretty hard to create enough volume acoustically. Amplification is not a bad thing.....it is a useful tool in many live situations. Sure, when overdone it can be off putting, but I'm a big fan of amplification because among other things it allows my playing to actually be heard by the audience! (Plus, I kind of like the sound of an added bit of reverb)

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
Old 09-25-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Wyllys, you've created a straw-man argument here. If you have a situation where you don't need amplification that is fine but very often, even in a small setting, it is necessary. So you do the best you can. I'm a Fingerstyle player and it is pretty hard to create enough volume acoustically. Amplification is not a bad thing.....it is a useful tool in many live situations. Sure, when overdone it can be off putting, but I'm a big fan of amplification because it allow my playing to actually be heard by the audience!
I also play finger-style and have NO problem projecting without amplification. As I said before, knowing how to make the room acoustics work for you...or at least not against you...and having clear, clean arrangements that can carry is something I learned back before amplification came into use.

I also use a guitar that has a strong, clear tone and PROJECTS. I do not use picks.

The problem with amplification in situations where folks are drinking and partying is that when you turn up the amp they talk louder. It all escalates.
You don't have to contribute to that.

I wll confess to one thing:

I've done this for a living since '68, not for pocket money.

Edit:

Jon...

Nice job on Over the Rainbow. Have you ever thought of learning the first part of the song? I like to go back and get the verse, intro or whatever you call it that sets up the well-known parts.

https://youtu.be/894ASWtNKN8

Last edited by Wyllys; 09-25-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:27 PM

This is getting a little silly. Sometimes, for some kinds of musical performances, in some contexts, all acoustic is the right thing. In others settings and/or with other kinds of music you need sound reinforcement or amplification of one kind or another. Why is this even a matter of controversy?

Wouldn't be more constructive to discuss how to be effective in situations where reinforcement is unnecessary (or undesirable) or how to take the measure of a situation in order to make the right choices going in?

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification