The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2016, 08:55 AM

Default D-TAR Solstice - Wow

I picked one up recently and while I found no need for it with my Schertler MAG-6 & S-Mic (they sound great with just the ParaEQ), it is amazing when used with the JJB SBTs. I was foolishly about to sell it but then installed the JJB in one of my guitars and came to my senses. I also picked up a Red-Eye Twin and have been comparing the two with the JJB for the last couple of days, the Solstice wins hands down. Had I not had the Solstice I would have thought the Red-Eye was great and been perfectly happy with it. With the JJB I am using an Audio Technica Pro 70 Lav mic as a second source and the three together with the Empress Para EQ is a heavenly combination. I could get away without the ParaEq and I'm using it more as a notch filter than for tone shaping. The Red-Eye while really good is a bit harsher sounding than the Solstice. Even with both treble nobs all the way down and the ParaEq dialed in, I couldn't get it warm enough compared to the Solstice. The fact that the Solstice has channel inserts, phase switch, phantom power, fx loop level control, 3 band EQ and multiple input and output options is the icing on the cake. I know JJB and K&K SBTs supposedly like 1Meg impedance, but the 10Meg Solstice just sounds good with the JJB. I wanted to like the Red-Eye more because it's small, built like a tank and runs on batteries or phantom power but with my guitar, setup and ears the Solstice kicks a**!

I have zero affiliation with the seller but wanted to post this in case anyone was looking for one. It's being sold at a good price.
https://reverb.com/item/3005623-dtar...e-amp-solstice
Old 09-23-2016, 11:23 AM

You should call Seymour Duncan and encourage them to get off their butts and get the Solstice back on the market.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
You should call Seymour Duncan and encourage them to get off their butts and get the Solstice back on the market.
Like everyone else, I heard there was one in the works but never heard when if ever, it was coming out. Maybe you should call, I'm sure they would respond to a dealer before a user.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:44 PM

I have one I'm not using that I would sell if anyone is looking for one. Let me know.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 09-26-2016, 10:02 PM

Hi Kalani

I'm interested will pm you.
I was an old member here.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:13 PM

do you find the 3-band EQ is sufficient or does a paraEQ really come in handy? Mine is in the mail btw
Old 09-27-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invyz View Post
do you find the 3-band EQ is sufficient or does a paraEQ really come in handy? Mine is in the mail btw
I've been trying different setups and the one that works the best for me is running the ParaEQ on the external mic through the insert jack and use only the Solstice EQ on the SBT.
I've been able to dial in a really good mic sound to compliment the SBT and with the ParaEQ I can eliminate any feedback issues allowing me to get more volume with the mic. 50/50 mic & SBT which makes for a really good sound.
I think it can never hurt to have a good parametric eq but you might not need it with the Solstice. What PU are you using?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
I've been trying different setups and the one that works the best for me is running the ParaEQ on the external mic through the insert jack and use only the Solstice EQ on the SBT.
I've been able to dial in a really good mic sound to compliment the SBT and with the ParaEQ I can eliminate any feedback issues allowing me to get more volume with the mic. 50/50 mic & SBT which makes for a really good sound.
I think it can never hurt to have a good parametric eq but you might not need it with the Solstice. What PU are you using?
K&K Pure Mini w/ LR Baggs M80, just installed last week. Waiting on a stereo cable so I can start fiddling.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invyz View Post
K&K Pure Mini w/ LR Baggs M80, just installed last week. Waiting on a stereo cable so I can start fiddling.
Cool, would love to hear your review after you've had some time with it.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
I emailed them with no response.

The Grace preamp looks like the bees knees is a little out of my price range
Old 10-15-2016, 08:51 PM

The Dtar Equinox is the parametric partner to the Solstice by Dtar.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification