The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-27-2017, 09:29 AM

Default Home recording set up with mac - need help

Hi,
For the last 7 years i have been doing some light home recording using the following workflow.

Guitar or Mic as input (AKG 414c)
Apogee Duet
Macbook pro
logic express

I've had pretty good results with that but barely scratch the surface of what logic can do.

I need a new computer and am open to suggestions on what might be a good rig to get for the next 5 years. I'm not automatically going to go with another macbook as i sense they are slipping and may not be the best choice for someone like me.

What are your suggestions?
Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 AM

Well, if you want to stick with Logic you'll need to stay on the Mac side. I like the MacBook Pros. That's what I use, but I also need to record on location...so portability is a big deal for me. You could go for an iMac if you wanted to move to a desktop.

I think it depends on what other tasks you intend to accomplish with the computer & whether or not portability is part of the criteria. And then, there's always budget.

Maybe a little more info about your needs & intended uses for the computer would help.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
Hi,
For the last 7 years i have been doing some light home recording using the following workflow.

Apogee Duet
Macbook pro
logic express

I've had pretty good results with that but barely scratch the surface of what logic can do.

I need a new computer and am open to suggestions on what might be a good rig to get for the next 5 years. I'm not automatically going to go with another macbook as i sense they are slipping and may not be the best choice for someone like me.

What are your suggestions?
More info would be helpful . Like do you want only one computer for everything ? Will it be used for more than just recording ? is your current Macbook Pro faltering( i.e why do you "need" a new one ? also What are your old Macbook year and specs .

And why do you "sense" the new Macbooks are "slipping" (whatever that means)

If you need/ want only one computer and it has to be portable (laptop) there is arguably no better choice than a new Macbook Pro.

If it does not need to be a laptop then a new 27 " iMac i7 is probably the obvious choice

Also note while I am not familiar with logic express if you get a new mac machine likely to ship with High Sierra and logic express is still 32 bit then might as well get the new one with Logic Pro X installed

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-27-2017, 11:14 AM

Everyone's request for more info above goes for me too.

Do you just record "live/real" instruments and voices? Or do you use "virtual instruments" where the computer is acting as everything from a piano to a bank of synthesizers to a full orchestra?

Do you edit and process what you record heavily either afterward or while you are recording?

Do you record large projects with lots of tracks? (as I recall, Logic Express may be limited in numbers of tracks, so your current software may have already implied you don't do large projects)

As several have already asked, is portability a concern?

How big an issue is cost of the computer system and software?

Striking out blindly, the "logical" successor to your old Logic Express would be either full on Logic Pro X for $200 which is extraordinarily full featured, has a reasonable amount of similarity to your existing software, and I believe will import old projects into the newer format. Garage Band, which is even cheaper, is now essentially what Logic Express was, a subset of the features of the Logic Pro X program. Both of course only run on MacOS.

How "much computer" you need depends a great deal on what kind of recording and editing/processing of the results you are doing.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-27-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
More info would be helpful . Like do you want only one computer for everything ? Will it be used for more than just recording ? is your current Macbook Pro faltering( i.e why do you "need" a new one ? also What are your old Macbook year and specs .
I agree more info is needed. And why do you need a new recording computer if the one you have is working?

I'm still using a Windows XP computer dedicated to recording with Sonar 6 and lots of Windows XP software. I could spend $2,000-$3,000+ for a new computer and software, but it would not improve my recordings. No Internet or virus protection software to hinder its performance.

I keep my home/internet computer separate.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I agree more info is needed. And why do you need a new recording computer if the one you have is working?

I'm still using a Windows XP computer dedicated to recording with Sonar 6 and lots of Windows XP software. I could spend $2,000-$3,000+ for a new computer and software, but it would not improve my recordings.
Well to clarify in my post I was not being (or trying to be) even remotely challenging to the OP, and perhaps should have said "what are the reasons you are considering a new computer ?" ... I was simply seeking more info.

Not to mention without more info it's pure speculation to even bring up "dedicated to recording", and even if it is dedicated , simply "wanting" a new one, is still a totally valid reason and sufficient unto itself.

And finally obviously computers (new or old) do not improve recording, but often newer faster computers and software can vastly improve the workflow and efficiency, so there is that possible consideration among a vast number of other possible considerations . I also have a dedicated "studio" computer but because I really like the newer the features and enhancements of the newer Pro Tools software versions it has to be capable of running that, as well able to do video editing in as timely a manner as possible. Luckily even though it is a Mid 2010, it has been upgraded so as to be still compatible . But if it were not sufficient to the task , even though it works fine, I would be considering a new one ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-27-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well to clarify in my post I was not being (or trying to be) even remotely challenging to the OP, and perhaps should have said "what are the reasons you are considering a new computer ?" ... I was simply seeking more info.

Not to mention without more info it's pure speculation to even bring up "dedicated to recording", and even if it is dedicated , simply "wanting" a new one, is still a totally valid reason and sufficient unto itself.

And finally obviously computers (new or old) do not improve recording, but often newer faster computers and software can vastly improve the workflow and efficiency, so there is that possible consideration among a vast number of other possible considerations . I also have a dedicated "studio" computer but because I really like the newer the features and enhancements of the newer Pro Tools software versions it has to be capable of running that, as well able to do video editing in as timely a manner as possible. Luckily even though it is a Mid 2010, it has been upgraded so as to be still compatible . But if it were not sufficient to the task , even though it works fine, I would be considering a new one ...
There is no disagreement here, KevWind. Neither of us is "challenging" the OP. I asked a simple, straight forward, logical question regarding why there is a need.

He said he needed a new computer, not a new recording computer, so I think he is using it both for personal use and recording. Therefore I used my setup (two different computers) as an example/option of an older computer performing quite well for recording (which he said his is doing, so no speculation there), not to berate him for his desire for a new computer.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
There is no disagreement here, KevWind. Neither of us is "challenging" the OP. I asked a simple, straight forward, logical question regarding why there is a need.

He said he needed a new computer, not a new recording computer, so I think he is using it both for personal use and recording. Therefore I used my setup (two different computers) as an example/option of an older computer performing quite well for recording (which he said his is doing, so no speculation there), not to berate him for his desire for a new computer.
Yes no disagreement, I just happen to see where my post could have be taken a different way from intended context, and wanted to clarify.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-27-2017, 03:37 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Hi,

Apogee Duet
Macbook pro
logic express

I need a new computer and am open to suggestions on what might be a good rig to get for the next 5 years.
I'd get an upgraded MacBook Pro and Logic Pro X - otherwise you are looking at a steep learning curve. Apple may be doing a lot of things wrong lately but this setup still works well and Apple recently updated the software to support their new 36 core monster desktop.

I cut my latest album on Logic Pro X and Waves Plugins - nothing else.

JR
Old 12-27-2017, 05:38 PM

Agreed. Stick with Mac and Logic as you know them - 27 iMac and Logic X
Martin J40
Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 PM

Thank you all for your feedback so far, here is more context that will hopefully focus your advice.

Hi, I write and record acoustic guitar/vocal ditties at home. Pretty lo-fi stuff.

For the last 9 years I have been using the same gear: Mac Book Pro (Fire wire) / Logic Express / Apogee Duet (old silver one with Fire wire). The results have been good but I don't really know how to use Logic at all anyway as i'm just adding tracks, getting a good level and recording.

I'm ready to totally overhaul this rig as the mac is obsolete and I want to see if there are better/simpler options in the market today. Garage band might be perfect for my needs I just want to make sure I can export high fidelity wav or AIFF so that I can send them to an audio engineer for mixing if i go that route. Also, I NO LONGER need the portability of a laptop and am open to buying a desktop, PC, Mac Mini, iMac, etc. Would an iMac be better / less fan noise than a mac mini?

Not married to mac anymore, especially after how they are treating customers who have the iPhone 6 battery issues that are widely reported.

I would also like advice on whether it makes sense to get an adapter so that I can keep using my old Apogee Duet with a new computer.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:59 PM

This would be a dedicated computer for recording, so i'm open to anything, i barely scratched the surface with logic express so logic pro would mostly be lost on me. My primary objective is to get hi fidelity tracks that i can export and send to a pro for EQ and other post production. If i go with free ware like garage band i just want to make sure there are not show stopper blockers that would prevent me from doing all of the basics...

this new rig would be dedicated to recording, so not using it for other things, don't need SQL or Excel running

And to clarify my comment on mac books slipping, that was more meant to apple in general, i have loved their products for the last 15 year but am now feeling like they care a lot less about the customer and I was unlucky enough to get one of the iPhone 6 phones with the bad battery that they are not standing behind...that made me not want to spend another dollar with them but that is really a side issue. if they are still making the best/most user friendly hardware /software for a hobbyist writer/recording artist then i will consider staying with them.

thanks again for your input!

Last edited by cheer tunes; 12-28-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This would be a dedicated computer for recording, so i'm open to anything, i barely scratched the surface with logic express so logic pro would mostly be lost on me. My primary objective is to get hi fidelity tracks that i can export and send to a pro for EQ and other post production. If i go with free ware like garage band i just want to make sure there are not show stopper blockers that would prevent me from doing all of the basics...

this new rig would be dedicated to recording, so not using it for other things, don't need SQL or Excel running

And to clarify my comment on mac books slipping, that was more meant to apple in general, i have loved their products for the last 15 year but am now feeling like they care a lot less about the customer and I was unlucky enough to get one of the iPhone 6 phones with the bad battery that they are not standing behind...that made me not want to spend another dollar with them but that is really a side issue. if they are still making the best/most user friendly hardware /software for a hobbyist writer/recording artist then i will consider staying with them.

thanks again for your input!
Full disclosure even though I use a Mid 2010 Mac Pro

IMO it is very hard to imagine a more user friendly or "better" dedicated home recording computer than the current 27 iMac w /SSD .. Both the hardware and OS software are excellent. And will be totally serviceable most likely for 5 to 10 years into the future .

IMO your worry that Logic Pro would be "lost on you" is completely misplaced and counterproductive to your stated goals , particularly since you are currently using and already familiar Logic Express . That fact that you may be utilizing only small % of it's capabilities is not a detriment to using it.
Functionally there is no such thing as "too much DAW" regardless of whether you are recording a solo acoustic guitar single mono track or a symphony orchestra with 100 tracks ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 12-29-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:10 PM

fair points KevWind. i can get good sounding tracks with logic express but i really don't do much beyond basic tracking. i thought logic pro would be even more overkill. But for $200 it's probably worth having it pre-loaded if i get another mac. The 27" iMac is pretty sweet, been checking it out.

Question: does it make sense to use my old apogee duet (that works perfectly) with an adapter, or should i also consider upgrading that as well.

The computer is basically obsolete and I don't even think the OS can be upgraded - so i'm fine getting a new computer, but my duet works perfectly and if it would work via an adapter i'd lean in that direction.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
fair points KevWind. i can get good sounding tracks with logic express but i really don't do much beyond basic tracking. i thought logic pro would be even more overkill. But for $200 it's probably worth having it pre-loaded if i get another mac. The 27" iMac is pretty sweet, been checking it out.

Question: does it make sense to use my old apogee duet (that works perfectly) with an adapter, or should i also consider upgrading that as well.

The computer is basically obsolete and I don't even think the OS can be upgraded - so i'm fine getting a new computer, but my duet works perfectly and if it would work via an adapter i'd lean in that direction.
Yes If it were me ( Given I only record two tracks max at time ) for now I would stick with the Duet, as it has nice pre's and good conversion

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD