The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-05-2017, 10:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I could be wrong, but I think it would be as per the black versions because I think the color tints are applied in the gloss resin overspray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
Ok I'm a bit confused here.

I thought the colored Emeralds are made with color CF weave cloth, and not sprayed on color to the base Black/grey CF weave cloth.

Someone please enlighten me.
Jimmy, again, I could be wrong and I'm certainly not privy to Emerald's processes, but I'm almost certain that the CF fabric is not available to Emerald in various colors beyond its blackish base, nor is the fabric itself sprayed with colors. I believe the way it's done is along the lines of what I stated with the tint added to the gloss resin which is applied over the fabric. I hope Emerald will respond to clarify.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:50 AM

Unless in diamond form, carbon is black, and so carbon fiber is black.

There are some composite weaves that add fibers from other materials, Kevlar and others, which can add some color by itself, but then it's also no longer just "carbon fiber" composite. I think they mention if other materials were added in that case.

I thought in some past posts that Emerald had mentioned the color is part of the coating, but hard for me to recall all the posts over the last five to ten years. Personally, I would want the color in the coating, not from CF mixed with other fibers (unless the strength and sound quality was good) We will likely get clarification soon.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I just heard back from Sean and this is what he said.

"The translucent amber colour is applied to the guitar using a spray gun after it is moulded. Following this the clear gloss coating is applied.

I hope this answers your question."

From the man himself
Old 09-06-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I am super excited! I couldn't decide between black and amber for my x7 I ordered. I ended up ordering black. Kind of wished I had gotten amber so I asked Sean if it was possible to switch it. Just got word that my x7 is in the fretting stage and then getting prepped for spraying so he was able to change the order. ya!
Amber is an excellent choice
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 09-06-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:

"The translucent amber colour is applied to the guitar using a spray gun after it is moulded. Following this the clear gloss coating is applied.

From the man himself

Very nice! Thanks.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Amber is an excellent choice

Thanks 121. That's a beauty. But you are not making the wait any easier [emoji846]
Old 09-06-2017, 08:40 AM

In my thread about my X20, I alluded to a special look on it. It involves a unique color, I am not sharing yet, but the price was verra reasonable. I know I will love it (at least I hope so haha), not sure everyone will though. I am thinking I am about 3-4 weeks out yet!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 AM

My mind is racing through possible colors and I'm at a loss as to what this is going to be.

Count me as VERY curious.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
Ok I'm a bit confused here.

I thought the colored Emeralds are made with color CF weave cloth, and not sprayed on color to the base Black/grey CF weave cloth.

Someone please enlighten me.
Quote:

From the man himself
Well Jimmy, it appears your thought that the color is sprayed on to the CF weave before the clear gloss is applied and not a tint in the gloss coat as I had thought, is correct. I must've misunderstood past descriptions, so I also learned something. However Emerald does it, they're masters at creating an awesome look.

Thanks for inquiring and sharing, bry.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:21 PM

AFAIK, for any guitar, the "gloss" is always achieved by polishing the final coat only, which is typically clear urethane. Pigment is applied in an intermediate layer. Even the wood veneers can be thought of as an intermediate opaque layer. Emerald definitely suspends their pigment in some kind of transparent resin, which is what allows tinted woodies to still show the grain and tinted standard guitars to show the weave. Multiple tinted layers can be layered upon each other, as displayed by the marine burst in the "Lake Tahoe Special." These intermediate layers may be sanded, but are not polished in order to facilitate adhesion of the layers.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
AFAIK, for any guitar, the "gloss" is always achieved by polishing the final coat only, which is typically clear urethane. Pigment is applied in an intermediate layer. Even the wood veneers can be thought of as an intermediate opaque layer. Emerald definitely suspends their pigment in some kind of transparent resin, which is what allows tinted woodies to still show the grain and tinted standard guitars to show the weave. Multiple tinted layers can be layered upon each other, as displayed by the marine burst in the "Lake Tahoe Special." These intermediate layers may be sanded, but are not polished in order to facilitate adhesion of the layers.
Fwiw, wrt the woodies, although the finished tops appear a fair bit darker than the raw wood veneer, Emerald has told me that no tint is applied to the clear resin/urethane.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

However they do it, they do it very nicely!
Old 09-08-2017, 05:10 PM

I was specifically referring to the tinted woodies, not the natural ones, unless blue and purple are actually natural colors for quilted maple.

I find the idea of translucent color, instead of opaque color, to be fascinating.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 PM

Translucent color is called "stain" and gets used all the time on all kinds of woods. Taylor used to make their 600 series maple guitars in red, blue, orange, green and even purple for Prince. Opaque color is called.....wait for it........paint.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:43 PM

Unless it's crayon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber