The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-28-2017, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Great review and pics. I couldn't agree more... what a fine instrument. Welcome to Club Savoy! ~ Mike
Old 07-28-2017, 11:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I know! Right?

My Savoy spent the day on the lake today.

This pic is bordering on Kramster material!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
This pic is bordering on Kramster material!
Look out!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-29-2017, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! Nice review! Nice to see all the great options available to those who appreciate choices beyond wood.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:13 PM

I edited my review a few times over the weekend as I got to know the Savoy more...just adding some details and trying to be as objective as possible without just drooling all over.

But I'm still in love with it. The tone continues to impress. It has a great bark! Also, volume and punch stay consistent wayy up the neck...and thanks to that double-cutaway, you can easily play up to the 16th fret. I lowered the saddle by about 1mm (it ships with a stock-height Graph Tech) and it plays so perfectly.

Last edited by tommyld; 07-16-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I know! Right?

My Savoy spent the day on the lake today.

Ted... you enjoy a wonderful lifestyle and a beautiful wife/partner! Congrats to you for your success as an entrepreneur. You know what you're doing and you're doing it well!

My new Eastman E10 OO-M flame mahogany needs a CF partner. I will be in touch!
Old 07-31-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Ted... you enjoy a wonderful lifestyle and a beautiful wife/partner! Congrats to you for your success as an entrepreneur. You know what you're doing and you're doing it well!

My new Eastman E10 OO-M flame mahogany needs a CF partner. I will be in touch!
Thanks for that DH, very kind of you.

So glad the Eastman is working out, and when you're ready to discuss CF guitars just give me a call. I have every model you're considering, as well as many other excellent options on hand, be happy to give you an in hands description.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 PM

Another point I forgot to include...Blackbird should look into some lighter-weight tuners for the Savoy.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM

Wow that's a really nice looking guitar... and I LOVE the access to the upper frets... very cool. Wish I could try one out! It was on my list to try before I bought my P12 but I could not find them anywhere near me (and they were a bit out of my price range).

Congrats!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:41 PM

Yeah, the fret access is amazing! With no reaching or change in hand-position:
Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyld View Post
Another point I forgot to include...Blackbird should look into some lighter-weight tuners for the Savoy.
Half ounce should make all the difference in the world. Just attach a helium balloon to the head whilst playing... hope this helped.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Half ounce should make all the difference in the world. Just attach a helium balloon to the head whilst playing... hope this helped.
Perfect! The Rube Goldberg solution.

I'm currently weighing (sorry) my options. Not sure I need to go as extreme as Gotoh Stealths...maybe some open backs, but I'll have to check the measurements and check with Blackbird to see if there are any concerns.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
That Kramster...such a Joker...lol...
Hmmm...on second thought, maybe I should do the Helium thing on all my guitars??? Just need a BB gun in case they float away...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
That Kramster...such a Joker...lol...
Hmmm...on second thought, maybe I should do the Helium thing on all my guitars??? Just need a BB gun in case they float away...
What can I say... you all inspire me.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyld View Post
I'm currently weighing (sorry) my options. Not sure I need to go as extreme as Gotoh Stealths...maybe some open backs, but I'll have to check the measurements and check with Blackbird to see if there are any concerns.
My Cargo has the Hipshot Classic Open Gear Tuning Machines (6GN0). I didn't know if I'd like them when I ordered the Cargo, but they are now some of my favorite tuners. They are very smooth (with virtually no play in the gears), tune quickly and accurately, hold tune well, weigh very little, are small on the headstock, and look nice. There are Snakewood buttons that can be ordered that I think would look incredible with the Ekoa. I have some Snakewood buttons on a set of Waverly tuners, and everyone who sees them loves them with the rosewood guitar they are mounted on. The Hipshots with the Snakewood buttons would be my first choice for tuners on the Savoy, and the cost is not at all prohibitive. The Hipshot tuners are available in black, gold and chrome, but I would either go with black to match the other hardware currently being put on the Savoy and add the Snakewood buttons or change all the hardware and go with gold tuners and Snakewood buttons. I doubt there would be any problem installing them on the Savoy at the factory. I like the more traditional style of the oval buttons shown, but the picture of the gold tuner with the modern button shows how nice the tuners look with that combination. Somewhat surprisingly, the gold doesn't look gaudy with the Snakewood buttons. The third picture is what my Waverlys look like.

Last edited by Amar911; 08-04-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Clarify and add images

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber