The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2014, 12:39 AM

Default Anyone have a chance to compare GS mini models?

Hi I'm new to the AGF and there is a wealth of information. I was interested in a Taylor GS mini both as a travel guitar or something to just dink with that I can share with others when they come over. I guess its just an excuse to get another guitar.

Has anyone played the Holden Village GS mini and the GS Mini Koa FLTD - what are you impressions? I recently played a Koa FLTD and I was amazed for such a small size guitar. I've played a Mahogany vs Sitka top - I'd choose the mahogany. If it was between the mahogany vs koa - I'd choose the koa. But its tough to try the Holden Village model since no one I know owns one. I'm intrigued by the Engelmann top.

Also, have you had problems travelling with it as carry on - a lot of the airlines use smaller planes nowadays.

Thanks.

Last edited by D28A1941; 12-19-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added a question
Old 12-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D28A1941 View Post
Hi I'm new to the AGF and there is a wealth of information. I was interested in a Taylor GS mini both as a travel guitar or something to just dink with that I can share with others when they come over. I guess its just an excuse to get another guitar.

Has anyone played the Holden Village GS mini and the GS Mini Koa FLTD - what are you impressions? I recently played a Koa FLTD and I was amazed for such a small size guitar. I've played a Mahogany vs Sitka top - I'd choose the mahogany. If it was between the mahogany vs koa - I'd choose the koa. But its tough to try the Holden Village model since no one I know owns one. I'm intrigued by the Engelmann top.

Also, have you had problems travelling with it as carry on - a lot of the airlines use smaller planes nowadays.

Thanks.
You may not get a lot of answers on this since you are looking at the Holden which is order direct from Taylor only.

There are quite a few owners of them hanging out here, but they may not have experience with the Koa FTLD.

Like you I preferred the hog version when compared to what is stocked in stores.

Maybe this will bump it up and get you an answer or two. If you want the Holden, you better move quick as this year end is the last of them as far as I understand it.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I own two GS mini's. Original Sitka/sapele and a Holden Village. I have played the Hog and a Sitka/blackwood ltd. I love the GS mini! That being said, I purchased the HV because I have been to Hondoras and seen the lack of fresh water firsthand and I work in the water industry. The entire concept of what was done to take a contaminated river, beautiful 250 year old Englemann spruce, companies coming together for the greater good, to come full circle and contribute for clean water in a third world country is phenomenal, beautiful and worth the price of admission! I am honored to be a part of that!! Pull the trigger and get one while you can!

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 12-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorgirl View Post
I own two GS mini's. Original Sitka/sapele and a Holden Village. I have played the Hog and a Sitka/blackwood ltd. I love the GS mini! That being said, I purchased the HV because I have been to Hondoras and seen the lack of fresh water firsthand and I work in the water industry. The entire concept of what was done to take a contaminated river, beautiful 250 year old Englemann spruce, companies coming together for the greater good, to come full circle and contribute for clean water in a third world country is phenomenal, beautiful and worth the price of admission! I am honored to be a part of that!! Pull the trigger and get one while you can!

All this and the Holden Village model is the best Mini I have played. I have never played a KOA. I prefer the Hog over the Sitka and like the Engelmann better than them both.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D28A1941 View Post

Thanks.
Very happy with the HV, but I've not played the koa.

Took my mini with me on the BOS to DCA Jet Blue shuttle Wednesday evening -- fit neatly in the overhead and nobody batted an eye at the gate. I had preferred boarding, btw. Obviously I cannot promise that you'll have the same experience, but I found it to be a piece of cake.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:18 PM

Default Love my GS Mini

I have the mahogany GSMini and it is a wonderful instrument. I take it all over the place, and it is my favorite couch player. I have also play the Sitka and Koa models, but I like the richness of the mahogany tone just a touch more. The koa I tested was a looker though. If you are even considering one, get it. It will be a bargain because you will play the heck out of it and feel ok dragging it around.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:48 PM

My HV is my main guitar. I absolutely love it, it's loud and articulate and playable. Never played the koa but I can whole heartedly recommend the HV Mini.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the advice. I listened to more clips of the HV mini.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:03 PM

The hog was my favorite mini until I got the HV. Great balanced tone and surprising volume. The guys at my local guitar store were pleasantly surprised as well and agreed that it was the mini of choice although they lamented the fact that its ordered thru Taylor exclusively.
Froggy Bottom: P-12
Martin CS 000-28 VTS
Walkabout Dulcimer
Fender: Select HH Tele
Old 12-22-2014, 01:10 AM

I own 2 mini-Es: The Rosewood (RW) and the Koa FLTD one.

I am of the opinion that the RW one is instantly very playable while the Koa one despite its good looks will need abit of time and playing for the top to really open up. In the initial few days, you can obviously hear the tightness of the Koa one while I remember being instantly rewarded with the RW mini.

I do find the conversation amusing though since GS Minis are really solid tops but veneered back and sides (which shouldn't make too much difference tonally, only aesthetically), so really, all we can only compare: Spruce Vs Koa Vs Mahogany.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
engelmann, gs mini, holden village, koa, taylor guitars