The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM

Default Replacement Nut/Saddle for GS Mini?

I have had my GS Mini Mahogany Top for almost a year now. I absolutely love this guitar. Lately, I have a had some string buzz and lightly adjusted the truss rod and didn't get the results I wanted.

I have decided to take it to a well respected tech for a full setup. I am almost positive I need a new bridge due to wear. A few questions for those who have messed with or upgraded their Minis:

1. Where is the best place to get replacement bridges for them (bone, etc)?
2. I have seen conflicting thoughts on bone saddles on this specific guitar, so I am not sure whether to upgrade to bone or not. (I am happy with the tone the way it is, just not the action and playability issues I have been having in a humidified home).
3. Any reason to go ahead and get a bone nut as well?

Just Looking for open thoughts. I do not want to brighten the guitar. Love the tone where it is.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Default Replacement nut and saddle

Ok, time for another Bob Colosi commercial!

Seriously, get in touch with Bob, great product and top shelf advice and service.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/default.asp

Last edited by PTC Bernie; 03-09-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.E.P. View Post
I have had my GS Mini Mahogany Top for almost a year now. I absolutely love this guitar. Lately, I have a had some string buzz and lightly adjusted the truss rod and didn't get the results I wanted.
Did you try to lightly tap down (re-seat) the fret wires adjacent to where the buzzing appears to come from? Just a chance this could be the cause of a buzz.

Happened to me on a Gibby hollow body recently. I was ready to 'sell the farm' until I tried the above cure. Worked wonders.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:29 PM

Default Do It

Colosi Bone
Bone Nut
Nice results.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:37 AM

$5 Fully-Compensated-Bone-Saddle I put this in my GS Mini it slid right in

http://www.allparts.com/BS-2213-000-...le_p_1173.html

Here's a thread of my upgrade
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=Gs+Mini

Last edited by TaylorTele; 03-10-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:38 AM

KEP - The GS Mini has only been around a few years. You're "almost positive I need a new bridge due to wear.". Your bridge shouldn't be wearing out so I'm assuming you're talking about the saddle, which is the piece of tusq/plastic/bone that fits into the bridge.

Bob Colosi has great bone saddle replacements. You could also call Taylor to see if they have replacement saddles. Take it to a Taylor qualified tech. The GS Mini has the NT neck, perhaps you just need a slight neck adjustment, which is done with shims on that neck.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Call Bob...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 AM

Kep, i would call Taylor Support. Not sure what kind of wear you are talking about on your saddle (i presume it is the saddle you are talking about) but when i had issues with my new guitar's saddle, Taylor Support sent me a new replacement. Not saying that they will do that for you but you should talk to them.

If you want to go bone ... like others i have gone to Colosi (many times). I don't (my opinion only) think a bone nut will make a significant difference.

Ken
Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 PM

I am calling taylor on Monday, but where do you get a NuBone Taylor saddle? I didn't see it on the Graphtech website?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM

I looked at the GraphTech website and I think they sell NuBone blanks. In other words, if you want a NuBone saddle, you or some else (guitar tech or luthier) would need to compensate it for your guitar (Taylor, Martin, Breedlove, Yamaha, etc).

But why are you interested in NuBone? I can only speak from first hand experience about Colosi saddles (bone) and Taylor saddles (bone and Tusq) and not about NuBone. Colosi saddles are excellent quality and are pre-compensated for a lot of guitars including Taylor. Not saying that you cannot compensate a saddle yourself but you sound like you are looking for a pre-compensated saddle. If you use NuBone, you will have to let us know about your experience.

Ken
Old 03-16-2013, 10:33 PM

Make sure your guitar has not dried out. The first sign I had of my PRS Angelus drying out was some string buzz. Like you I thought I needed a new saddle. Replaced the saddle and things were fine, only to find out in the middle of the next summer that the action was too high and I put the old saddle in and it played fine. Taylor has a video about just this problem. As the top dries it losses some of its arch pulling the bridge down and lowering the action. I would find it hard to believe one year of play would wear down a nut or saddle. If this is your problem it is easily remedied with rehumidifiying
Old 03-16-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_az View Post
Make sure your guitar has not dried out. The first sign I had of my PRS Angelus drying out was some string buzz. Like you I thought I needed a new saddle. Replaced the saddle and things were fine, only to find out in the middle of the next summer that the action was too high and I put the old saddle in and it played fine. Taylor has a video about just this problem. As the top dries it losses some of its arch pulling the bridge down and lowering the action. I would find it hard to believe one year of play would wear down a nut or saddle. If this is your problem it is easily remedied with rehumidifiying
@ken Taylor used graph tech nubone for the gs mini now. I was just getting an extra in case.

@al_az, my office, where I primarily keep the guitar, is usually between 47-55% humidity. I will double check. Something I have not thought about. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 AM

the two mini's I had .. both had the same issue with buzz... I had to file down the nut the side of the tuning pegs.. I think the string vibrates off the backend of the nut ... it was also creating a pingy sound... it helped a bit... it was one of the reasons I sold both of them... couldn't fully get rid of it....
Old 03-17-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neastguy View Post
the two mini's I had .. both had the same issue with buzz... I had to file down the nut the side of the tuning pegs.. I think the string vibrates off the backend of the nut ... it was also creating a pingy sound... it helped a bit... it was one of the reasons I sold both of them... couldn't fully get rid of it....
This could be the issue, but the guitar was pretty much flawless for several months.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 PM

In order;

Check pick (if you use one), pick angle while striking string and edge of pick
Check string, if always the same one. Even a new one can have issues with it, they ain't all perfect.
Check saddle IF you know what you are doing and finally, check nut IF you know what you are doing.

If all of he above do not solve it, a good technician is needed.

Buzz can be very simple or very complex.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
gs mini, set up, taylor