The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which option would you choose (in my shoes)?
Larrivee P-03 ($1070) 61 56.48%
Taylor GS Mini ($768) 47 43.52%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 AM

Default Hmm. What to do?

This has been giving me much more of a headache than I initially anticipated. I planned on purchasing my new acoustic at the beginning of this month, but haven't been able to make a decision.

Here's the deal:

*I've narrowed it down to either a Taylor GS Mini or a Larrivee P-03. While I appreciate all input, I'm not interested in purchasing anything else. I'm mostly looking for feedback regarding these two models. I do not want a carbon fiber or VA guitar - in fact, they're not even available to me here, so it's a non-issue.

*I live in China and since it's extremely crowded in my area, I want something light and portable to bring on planes, trains, and buses.

*The GS Mini sells for $768 here, while the Larrivee P-03 goes for $1070. I've tried the GS Mini before, but never had a chance to test a Larrivee parlor and won't be able to do so before purchasing. To make the decision even more difficult, the shops don't offer returns here unless the guitar is broken. I'd really be taking a leap of faith here.

*I'm primarily a strummer and I have an extremely low tolerance for buzzing! I want something that can handle most playing styles without any buzz/rattle. Tone isn't my highest priority, but it certainly is important.

I strongly prefer a 14-fret guitar, but since the prices are so close, the Larrivee is very tempting (all-solid, Canadian-made, etc. Also, I have CTS and arthritis, so the short scale is appealing.

Please help! I've been losing both hair and sleep over this (haha). I haven't had a guitar in over two years . I've been playing quite a bit of ukulele in the meanwhile.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 AM

Buzzing or no buzzing depends on the setup -- not the guitar model.

If you buy a good quality guitar that's in good condition, you can worry about this later.

Between the Taylor GS Mini and Larrivée P-03, I'd take the Larrivée without hesitation.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 AM

Thanks, Joe!

I was originally looking at larger bodied acoustics because I was concerned with how the parlor would handle my strumming, but since I travel multiple times throughout the year, I just wanted to pick-up one guitar that I could use both at home and on the road.

This might be a dumb question, but... does the 12-fret neck joint present any issues when playing? It seems that I would probably miss the 12 extra notes, since I do play down the neck in some songs. Does the smaller body make it easier to fret the high notes than on say.. a 12-fret 000?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 AM

you need to think Eastman for that money twist
Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

I have played and owned both. "On paper," the Larrivee should be a no brainer. But, that was not the case for me.

I have found all Larrivee parlors to be very boxy sounding, regardless of tone woods. I have tried several and to my ear, this has always been the case. It's too bad, as I have always wanted to have a keeper in the Larrivee.

The GS Mini is a good guitar; very comfortable, good volume and tone, great for taking places as the gig bag is really well designed and a lot of fun to play. Is it a perfect guitar, of course not, but for the money and what you get, IMO, it is hard to beat the Mini.

Good luck in your decision!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

I've played several Larrivee parlors. I want to like them, but I agree with KH1967. To my ear, they're just too boxy. The Taylor GS-mini sounds better by far. Between it and the P-03, I choose the Mini without a second thought.

As you're concerned about size, I note that the Mini is a little larger than the P-03. The body of the Mini is comparable to a Martin 00 in size. (That's probably why it sounds better than the P-03)

Mini:
lower bout = 14 3/8. 1 1/8 inch wider than the Larrivee.
upper bout = 10 1/4 1 inch wider.
Length = 36 1/2 just a little shorter, may be 1/4 inch.
Depth = 4 7/16 1/16 inch less than the Larrivee.

I've never come close enough to buying one to ask whether the Larrivee comes in a case or a gig bag. The Mini's gig bag, however, is pretty decent and provides ample padding around the guitar and under the neck.

As to 12 fret guitars, if you play up the neck, you'll probably miss the other two frets. A cutaway solves the problem, but raises the price.

Last: I've found the craftsmanship on the Larrivees to be pretty erratic. Lots of glue stains and other cosmetic issues. Most players would probably consider the cosmetic stuff to be minor, but I wouldn't order one over the Internet.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
you need to think Eastman for that money twist
You must not have read the original post: "I'm not interested in purchasing anything else."

In any case, I vote Larrivee.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwistinside View Post
Thanks, Joe!

I was originally looking at larger bodied acoustics because I was concerned with how the parlor would handle my strumming, but since I travel multiple times throughout the year, I just wanted to pick-up one guitar that I could use both at home and on the road.

This might be a dumb question, but... does the 12-fret neck joint present any issues when playing? It seems that I would probably miss the 12 extra notes, since I do play down the neck in some songs. Does the smaller body make it easier to fret the high notes than on say.. a 12-fret 000?
It's not a dumb question per se but I guess you've just provided your own answer (and the only one that matters).

I have one 12-fret guitar and wouldn't want all of my guitars to be like that.

Body size has no impact on fretting hand obviously.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM

You say you played the GS Mini. What did you think? If you liked it and returns are not permitted, I don't think there's much of a choice here at all.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 AM

Wow! I'm not surprised over how many people have voted for the Larrivee, but it's surprising that the GS Mini has received so many votes despite it costing more than $250 extra (above U.S. retail). I guess it's perceived as an excellent value beyond the $500 price tag.

I really love the idea of the Larrivee (especially it's looks and build quality), but I'm not sure if I can live with the limitations of a 12-fret as my main guitar. I had played 14-fret acoustics for about 8 years and wrote many songs w/riffs that require reaching down around the 14th fret. Hmm. I was originally looking at the Parkwood OM models, but ruled them out because I wanted something I could bring with me everywhere.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneK View Post
You say you played the GS Mini. What did you think? If you liked it and returns are not permitted, I don't think there's much of a choice here at all.
I played one that needed a set-up and I wasn't very impressed at all (naturally). It had some buzzing and didn't seem to project well. I tried one at another shop in Taiwan and thought it was a pretty nice little guitar. I would really like to get something that's all-solid, though. However, I'm sure I could happily live with the GS Mini all the same.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Default Suggestion

You asked about a Larrivee/GS Mini choice, BUT....

If I were located in your part of the world I would take the time to check out an Eastman Parlor. They are built in China so I'm thinking your cost would be a lot less than the $1000 they sell for in the states. Perhaps you have already looked at them but if not, you should. or... check out some of the youtube videos.

E-man...
Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 AM

I actually rode my motorcycle just this week with my mini in its backpack behind me. Thats really a nice feature. I'm not sure I would want a case in your conditions. That said, I've really been wanting a Larrivee. I've been gassing for one ever since I added them on my facebook. Every day, cool stuff coming out of that factory. Jean and his son right there in the heat of every situation. I have heard a couple complaints on this forum about the p-03 being boxy and that would keep me from purchasing one without a demo. That might well be the only reason I'd steer clear. Definately find some youtube demos of the model. To me, the tone of a gs mini is incredible. I have the ES go in mine, it does have a hum at home, where my terminals are not grounded. At church, it does not have feedback, in fact, its just as clear as a bell and loud, plus no battery. It was so easy to install too. I dont know man, tough choice for you. The only hesitation I've had with mine is the short scale.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME

Last edited by magazine; 07-27-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwistinside View Post

*I'm primarily a strummer and I have an extremely low tolerance for buzzing! I want something that can handle most playing styles without any buzz/rattle. Tone isn't my highest priority, but it certainly is important.
It's really rather simple. Given what you said, it's GS Mini all the way. It is a very versatile guitar. As others have said, the Larrivee will just sound small to you. If you had said primarily fingerstyle, it would be a more even comparison, but for mostly strumming the GS Mini will be the better choice.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 07-27-2012, 11:01 AM

GS mini...

No reason, just making the decision for you...there, don't go thanking me, now!
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
china, gs mini, p-03, travel