The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Composite Acoustics OX RAW ELE

I recently picked-up my first CF guitar, a 2012 CA OX RAW in near mint condition. I was almost immediately smitten by the guitar's tone and playability, so I wanted to give the guitar some time before posting this NGD (to ensure it wasn't just honeymoon infatuation ). Well, I've had the guitar for about a month now, and I have to say, I absolutely love it! It has dominated my playing time, and I expect it to continue to do so.

APPEARANCE:
Though I have always thought of myself as a guitar appearance "traditionalist", I must admit that I absolutely love the appearance of this guitar! I really like the "industrial", "post-modern" appearance of the RAW finish.

TONE:
Great, full, unique midrangy voice, that has a fine, chimey "ring" with 80/20 strings. Despite its full midrange, the treble notes ring remarkably clear and strong. Maybe most importantly, it accompanies my singing voice wonderfully.

FIT, FINISH, & BUILD:
Flawless. Simply flawless. One very minor observation is that the bridge pin hole for the low-E is a very tight fit. This is particularly noticeable when a string of gauge .054 or larger is installed.

PLAYABILITY:
Exceptional. This is the best playing guitar I have owned (acoustic or electric). Wonderful neck profile and feel. The spacing specs are interesting: I played the guitar for three weeks before I realized that the nut width is actually 1-11/16". I would have bet money it was 1-3/4"! I am sure this is because the string spacing at the nut (1.5") is about as wide as one would expect with a 1-3/4" nut, and the string spacing at the saddle is 2-1/4". I find this combination of spacings remarkably comfortable for both fingerpicking and for strumming. Also, the action on this guitar is "electric guitar like low". Action under the low-E is a hair under 5/64". The action is so low, I have to watch my right hand technique to avoid things from getting a little "buzzy". However, this is easy for me to avoid since I have a fairly light right hand, and the benefit of the razor close action is well worth it.

ELECTRONICS:
This was the biggest surprise for me! I'm amazed how good the Baggs StagePro Element in this guitar sounds through my Carvin AG200 amp! Warm, full, and rich, with no hint of quack. Surprisingly, I can not find a setting on my TC BodyRez that improves upon the pickup straight into the amp. Moreover, the StagePro's on board EQ and tuner seem to be quite effective. I very much look forward to hearing this baby through a PA system.

OVERALL:
I am loving this guitar! #TeamCarbonFiber

Obligatory pics

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Very nice ! Is the OX considered an OM size ?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:30 AM

Very nice Ed !

Hang on to it ! They are still pretty rare on the used mkt as you know.

I foolishly parted with my bargain used c.f guitar, mourned it, then had to replace it with a new one...
Old 10-01-2017, 08:41 AM

As a relative newcomer to CF, I will agree with all you say.

I picked up a CA Cargo last spring at Elderly Instruments, where I had hoped to try out a few options. There was little to choose from, and when first shown the little Cargo my first impression was, this will never work out for me. I was amazed from the first chord! Even though it is rightly billed as a travel guitar, the instrument impresses in all ways. Already sold on a short scale and small body by Taylor's GS Mini, the Cargo fit me exceptionally well. Granting that a guitar this small can't compete with the depth and especially volume of a larger instrument, the comfort, playability and better-than-decent sound make this a real winner. While it was the ease of maintenance (as in, none) that first drew me to CF, I am now sold on the quality as well. And now considering a Rainsong CH-OM...
Old 10-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! My first carbon fiber guitar changed how I consider guitars. Nice review... and I'm guessing this won't be your last CF acquisition.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Very nice ! Is the OX considered an OM size ?
Thanks! Yes, but a little shallower (see below).
Very comfortable to play.

CA-OX-vs-Martin-14-000.JPG

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Nice! I've contemplated the OX and been both intrigued and perhaps a bit put-off by how shallow it is (front to back). However, it sounds from your description it produces a sufficiently full acoustic tone. I hope I get a chance to check one out in person some day!

I could kick myself -- my daughter spent four years at Occidental College in Eagle Rock (quite close to LA Guitars) and I never knew about this shop. Oh well, perhaps it's a good thing -- her graduate school has left her impoverished to the point where I have to support her for a while - while she does her occupational therapy internships - so any money I didn't spend then... Next time I'm down in LA I will be checking that shop out --- shops up here in the Bay Area rarely have one CF guitar, let alone bunches I can A/B!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:46 PM

Congratulations on your first CF guitar!
Quote:
ELECTRONICS:
This was the biggest surprise for me! I'm amazed how good the Baggs StagePro Element in this guitar sounds through my Carvin AG200 amp!
Every cf I've ever plugged in sounded great, even through a mesa with pedals.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Ed... what a fantastic review! Enjoy it...
Old 10-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Great review! Sounds like you found a match that suits you well. And there's nothing quite like a light-touch acoustic guitar that plays as easily as an electric
guitar. Real special. I have a similar love affair with a CF in my collection.

Make a joyous noise.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Huge congrats, Ed. I had one of the first ones off the line back in 2009, and it gave me many years of pleasure. Use it in good health.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all!

Quick Update:
I have owned the V-Picks Screamer (in clear, white, and blue) for some time. Though I like this pick's combination of heft and brightness, I always got an annoying "chirp" pick noise when using this pick on my traditional tonewood guitars.

Since the CA OX responds so differently to things, on a whim, I decided to try the Screamers on it. The result is WONDERFUL! Especially with the clear Screamer - The tone is clearer and louder, with crisper trebles and rounder, fuller bass notes! All this, with no "chirp" in sight (sound? ). Outstanding! (And again, the wife immediately noticed and commented on the improvement).

I am one happy CFer!

V-Pick-Screamer.jpg

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-06-2017, 07:29 PM

Welcome to the dark side Ed-in-Ohio. Better late than never
Old 10-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Welcome to the dark side Ed-in-Ohio. Better late than never
The dark side? I like to think we are on the enlightened side!

Save a tree - play carbon fiber. Just don't put it in a wood case!

Yes, I'm kidding. I like wood. These jokes almost write themselves.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber