The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2012, 05:13 AM

Default NGD - Taylor GS Mini with Full Expression System

Had this delivered from Taylor over the weekend! Absolutely love the GS Mini, and the full expression system works very well. It sounds great. I A / B'd the Mini and my 410ce side by side through an acoustic amp yesterday and the Mini wins!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 AM

yep. pretty amazed at how good the mini sounds... mine just needs a good setup... I thought my 310 sounded better.. but not by much...
Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 AM

I genuinely think my GS Mini has more character than any of the other acoustics I own. My 410ce is lovely, but potentially too pristine, and my Gibson J200 has a fantastic recording sound, but it doesn't come across well on stage at all I find, and is prone to feedback (obviously this is more down to the pickup).

Plus I LOVE the size of the mini and the satin finish.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 AM

How much did the expression system cost to be installed in the GS Mini?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 AM

Paid $100 at GC for my Mini ES system. Easy to install too.

yep those GS Minis are one of the best sounding acoustics out there, not quite there with my Gibsons but close. Sounds better than the majority of Taylors I have played.
And I have played alot of Taylors, lived down the street from their El Cajon plant. 1988 to 2006. I used to goto their musical guest night every month, usually a bluegrass picker. And I got to sample alot of Taylors. Good guitars.

Prefer Gibsons though.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 AM

To get a full Expression System fitted (including tone and volume knobs and body sensor etc) I think it costs around the same price as the guitar, but I was lucky enough to get it a lot cheaper.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siritalks View Post
To get a full Expression System fitted (including tone and volume knobs and body sensor etc) I think it costs around the same price as the guitar, but I was lucky enough to get it a lot cheaper.
is this the full ES or is it the ES-T-- the same as in the 100 and 200 series guitars. I can see that being much less expensive as it is just a preamp with a UST.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markini View Post
Paid $100 at GC for my Mini ES system. Easy to install too.

yep those GS Minis are one of the best sounding acoustics out there, not quite there with my Gibsons but close. Sounds better than the majority of Taylors I have played.
And I have played alot of Taylors, lived down the street from their El Cajon plant. 1988 to 2006. I used to goto their musical guest night every month, usually a bluegrass picker. And I got to sample alot of Taylors. Good guitars.

Prefer Gibsons though.
you do not have the same system as the OP. you have the sound hole ES Go system. much different animal.
I used to own a GS Mini and ended up selling it. was nice sounding but too cramped. For just a few dollars more I could by a 110 and sounds much better than the mini. More bass - volume- power etc. I have never played a 300 and up series Taylor that any Mini could beat for tone. I guess if one likes a thinner brighter tone then ya but wont compete wth any higher end ones. I have played SEVERAL over the years as well as owned many. The GS mini can not come anywhere close to my 816CE not even in the same zip code for tone.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM

Fantastic! I've never seen one with the ES system installed. I played one at the local guitar store 2 days ago ... heading back tonight to play it again.

Enjoy!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:15 PM

@leeasam - it is the FULL ES system. Also, I understand what you mean about the tone but I can only compare it to my 410ce and Gibson J200. It sounds on a par (and slightly more sparkly - in a good way) than the 410ce when it's plugged in, and beats th J200 hands down when plugged in (but I think that's more down to the pickup in my J200). I, personally, really really like the tone of the mini and don't here this "tinny" sound people talk about.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM

may I ask how you got it alot cheaper? You can PM me if need be. I am not sayig the GS mini was bad. very nice sounding for a small guitar. With a full ES I believe it could sound pretty good plugged in. I had an ES Go in mine and was very disappointed. Terrible noise from lights and needed an out board preamp to get signal to board ran it into a Baggs PARA DI and it sounded good but the noise was even worse when under lights.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
is this the full ES or is it the ES-T-- the same as in the 100 and 200 series guitars. I can see that being much less expensive as it is just a preamp with a UST.
Please fill me in on what the difference is? Is the ES-T the older version?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 AM

One of the best places to find info about Taylor is their web site.

Here is the full Expression System info:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars...ression-System

Here is the ES-T info:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars...ectronics/ES-T

Here is what it says;

The ES-TŪ is a single-source, under-saddle transducer with individual elements for each string. It features an onboard preamp and the same active controls found on the full ES. Featuring a custom-voiced EQ and dynamic response, the system is powered by a 9-volt battery, with a battery life LED power indicator (which is lit when the battery is being used). The pickup also has a Phase switch for feedback control, which is located on the preamp board inside the soundhole. Available on the 100 and 200 Series.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
expression, gs mini, gs-mini, system, taylor