The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 PM

Default DBX GoRack Review

Had my first chance to use the GoRack at a gig this weekend. Review follows, first the context.

My system is 1 or 2 (depending on how many of us are there on a particular date) condenser mics into a Carvin AG300 amp, with an extension cabinet when we want it. Amp and cabinet up on stands. Mics are used for all of the instruments (no pickups) and vocals. No monitors. This is kind of a loose application of the "one mic" approach, and I love it. We just lean in, lean out, and play together in a semi-circle, much like jam night back at the house. Because my mics need phantom power, the GoRack runs on the FX loop of the amp.

This gig was about 50-70 people packed into a square room. Birthday party. Three of us on various stringed instruments and vocals. People weren't there for the music, so there was a fair amount of background noise (people talking, eating, drinking).

The GoRack was, in a word, spectacular. First, I used the sweepable mid cut on the amp to cut the first feedback producing frequency. Then I engaged the feedback suppression on the GoRack and goosed the master volume. You could hear it work; feedback starts up, then it stops within a second or two. No noticeable impact on overall sound, just death to the annoying feedback. I have no way of quantifying it, but the GoRack definitely enables a significant gain in gain. Gotta be the loudest $30 you can spend. Plus, the auto feedback suppression deals with that random stuff that comes up from time to time. Meanwhile, we're playing music and not running sound.

The subsynth could seem gimmicky, but it was a cool addition on a couple of songs. One of my guitars is a 12 fret Martin with a big, big bottom end. The subsynth took that bottom end and replicated it an octave below. It sounded kind of like a bass player was there, playing the root. Very cool when you want it.

I played with a couple of the EQ presets. There was nothing dramatic evident in trying different pre-sets, but there are some that seem likely to be helpful in particular situations. I wouldn't buy a GoRack just for the EQ.

I dialed in a little compression (set at about 20), but didn't play with it much and so don't have much to report on it.

To my ear, and given the context, this system sounded great. Very natural, but with a bit of the presence and punch you get from judiciously applied FX and processing.

For under $30, and at the size of a paperback book, the GoRack is a no-brainer bit of gear for the small semi-pro setting. Get one now. And go have fun!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 PM

Yes! I just used mine on a New Year's gig for the stage monitors. I had done the FOH with a Driverack PA/RTA and was out of time (and the patience of the locals) so I inserted the GoRack at the sub outputs that send signal to a Carvin HD900 power amp (350w rms per side @ 4 ohms) that runs the stage wedges.

I was able to get plenty of level on stage with zero feedback...as said, it starts to creep in, then fades away for good and doesn't squash all the intelligibility out of the sound in the process.

I'm quite certain that it would have worked just as well for the FOH, which is a Carvin DCM 3000L pushing 950 watts rms per side through 4 ohms.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 AM

I just ordered one for me and four for the church.
2006 R. Taylor Style 1 Cutaway Old Growth Redwood/Madagascar (ES V1.3)
2005 Tippin Jumbo Adirondack/Quilted Cuban Santa Maria Mahogany
2003 Eichelbaum Slope Dreadnought
2001 Lowden O35 Sitka/Koa
BlueRidge BR163
pendulum preamp hz-10se
Trace Elliot TA100R Mahogany Box
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-24-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckong View Post
I just ordered one for me and four for the church.
Why 4 for the church? Multiple sound systems? Different implementation on different channels? Something else?
Old 01-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Why 4 for the church? Multiple sound systems? Different implementation on different channels? Something else?
I used it for couple hours and I like it a lot.

We have many speakers and amps, but do not have anti-feedback system, comp and EQ. Maybe we buy 3 more.
2006 R. Taylor Style 1 Cutaway Old Growth Redwood/Madagascar (ES V1.3)
2005 Tippin Jumbo Adirondack/Quilted Cuban Santa Maria Mahogany
2003 Eichelbaum Slope Dreadnought
2001 Lowden O35 Sitka/Koa
BlueRidge BR163
pendulum preamp hz-10se
Trace Elliot TA100R Mahogany Box
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Thumbs up

Just got one of these yesterday. I'm using it with a K&K Trinity system in my guitar, through a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal, a Keeley Aurora reverb pedal, to a volume pedal with a kill-switch into the GorRack, then onto a Turbosound Inspire IP2000 (which I love).

At first I didn't think the anti-feedback feature was really working, but it seems that it only really works if you're pushing some volume. In which case, it really does work. I was surprised to hear it cutting out the bands that were causing some obnoxious humming/squealing. The compressor and EQ are pretty nifty as well. Mute button is great to have.

I'll test it live tomorrow evening.

I paid $25 for this little gadget and it was definitely worth the money. It doesn't eliminate all feedback problems, but zaps most of them. The bigger issue for me, I'm guessing, is that the feedback it isn't cutting is due to the resonance of my instrument, which can maybe be helped with a feedback buster in the sound hole. If only I could remember where I put that thing....

Regardless, for $25-$30, I highly recommend it.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 PM

I got one from that Candy H2O place. For 30 clams it can't be beat. I tried it out as a backup for my mixer and although it's really tiny, the features are great! I discovered it from a comment in an obscure post and checked it out. Much thanks to the guy who shared. The 16 EQ presets are pretty good but the feedback killer is great! I wanted to buy 2 but that was just out of habit. I really don't need a backup for my backup. That only applies to external computer hard drives!

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
... I discovered it from a comment in an obscure post and checked it out. Much thanks to the guy who shared...
Likewise. I wish I could remember whcih thread led to my discovery of the GoRack so I could thank that person. But I don't recall. I never would have thought you could get so much from such a small and inexpensive device. I'm glad to see that others are putting them to use.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 PM

(Update to my short comments from above.)

I finally got a chance to test out the GoRack when I was trying out powered speakers. Before the GoRack, I took my vintage Mackie 1202 (1985 original) to use as an interface into the powered speakers I was testing. When the GoRack came in, the Mackie went out. That darn GoRack could fit in your pocket if you have cargo pants!

I was trying out various power 15" speakers to use as my 'big room' P.A. when playing larger acoustic gigs. Had the GoRack hooked between a Martin with the Fishman Aura pickup in it & a JBL 515XT. I had the JBL volume cranked a little bit & when I was standing right next to it, there was feedback. So I hit the feedback button on the GoRack & POOF! it disappeared. I didn't have to do any know twiddling. This is cool!

So I found a good image on the Martin to feed the JBL. I wanted to start with no EQ to see how the JBL would sound. I dialed in a good image & things sounded pretty good about 20' away. Then I went through the EQ presets on the GoRack & found one that really made the Martin sound 5x better. So I was in finger picking heaven. Plus I like the way the volume control is a BIG dial. Makes it easy to crank it up or down. That control goes from 0 to 99 & has a very useable wide range.

I believe the JBL was set to 'main' on the EQ with the volume at about 50%. The GoRack was at about 85 on its volume & it filled the P.A. room very well. I didn't mess with the compression or the sub-eq. Didn't need to. Just 2 simple controls in a unit that'll fit in your mic bag... what more could you ask for? (& at 30 clams new you better not ask for it to be cheaper!)

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification