The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Blackbird Rider vs Emerald X7

I have a Blackbird Rider and with all of the recent glowing reviews of the X7, I am curious how the two compare.

Mitch
Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 AM

I have owned a Rider since last summer and it took me awhile to get used to it.Two months ago I bought an Emerald X20 which I liked enough to order an X7. I returned the X7 because I didn't care for the size and felt the Rider is a better small guitar.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawton View Post
I have owned a Rider since last summer and it took me awhile to get used to it.Two months ago I bought an Emerald X20 which I liked enough to order an X7. I returned the X7 because I didn't care for the size and felt the Rider is a better small guitar.
I have played a Rider several times and I think it is a wonderful high quality instrument but I just could not find a comfortable playing position due to the body shape and I don't always want to wear a strap or use a secondary device to prop it up. I want to be able to just grab it and play.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:49 PM

I always use the neck-up that came with the Rider and it's still an adjustment to hold. The size and sound makes it worth it to me to keep learning to play it.

The X20 is very comfortable to play and hold. I would recommend that the OP consider the Emerald X20 unless you were thinking of replacing the Rider with the X7.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:40 PM

I have owned the rider, cargo, x7 and the best sounding IMO is the rider for both strumming and finger picking. I just could not get used to the shape. A close second was the cargo if you do not mind the scale. X7 stunning to look at and wonderful finger picking but does not have the warmth and bass that I like.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:58 PM

I really liked my X20 as a Taylor substitute. I looked at the Rider but ultimately came home with a Lucky 13 as I wanted a CEO7/Johnson type guitar. Boy that guitar is fun to play.

Can't help you with the X7/Rider though I think I would go for the X20 if you are looking for a comfortable guitar.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:16 PM

Smile

I just might have to buy a Lucky 13.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawton View Post
I just might have to buy a Lucky 13.
Just out of curiosity, is this Rahn that used to own a Com-Pac Suncat? TSBB participant?
Old 01-02-2017, 06:08 AM

Yes. I own a Seaward 23 now.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Nice boat, Rahn! Good to see you here.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:34 AM

I cannot comment on the direct comparison (never played an X7 or any emerald yet) but the Blackbird Rider had surprisingly good tone. You will need a strap or a Neck-Up device to hold it properly, but it is a fine choice for a travel guitar - durable, compact, yet still great-sounding. Hope that is helpful.

I bought a Lucky 13 and took delivery in October 2016. Love it! Most of my other guitars are whining, neglected in their cases since it got here. My wife still likes her "mama bear" sized Cargo better, but only from a physical comfort / sort scale viewpoint.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Default ridder / x7

Currently own an X7 and have played a Rider.
I like the tone of both. But the tones differ.
X7 seems to have more clarity, more 'zing'.
Rider seems to lack some bass, otherwise very balanced.
The biggest issue is the 'feel' of the Rider: Difficult to hold and get comfortable.
Guess it's the shape.
Both fine instruments. Personal preference will apply on this comparison.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:45 PM

I value compactness a whole lot in a travel guitar -- a small regular body to me just doesn't cut it. So I'm really happy with my Rider -- I just can't think of a better total package of tone, volume, playability, durability, weather-imperviousness and compact size than the Rider. (Haven't played any other carbon travelers though, for the record.) Love the sound of the Rider and wearing a strap solves all the playing-position issues for me, so I don't mind it at all.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-05-2017, 02:52 PM

I agree with Sean. My Riders are my go to guitars for work and play. I use a strap while standing and a NeckUp while sitting and I am a happy camper. The Riders give me great Tone and light weight and sound great amplified.
Barb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber