The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-09-2016, 06:14 PM

Default chord theory

learning and playing all of these christmas carols got me wondering why are there so may out of place chords in these songs? Like god rest ye merry gentlemen has numerous E major chords in key of Am that sound so right yet E major is about the last chord I'd ever think to play in key of Am What makes that last E note of the word gentlemen Part of an E major chord? The note is preceded by D and before that C Why are they not grouped to together in to Am chord infact numerous times in christmas carols I see notes that you group all 3+ of them together and make a standard minor or major chord but they are played over many different chords why? I though I had figured out how chords and notes work together boy was I wrong. Any way to better explain why all these weird chords over simple melodies?
Old 12-09-2016, 06:48 PM

It is not unusual at all to have a minor progression i-iv-V. Very common in any minor blues tune. And the picardy third (minor chord-major sus4-major chord) is a hallmark of many Christmas carols.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Harmonic minor. V makes a stronger leading tone back to i than does v.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-10-2016, 05:49 PM

You need to learn more minor key songs. Most of them will have a major V chord. It's conventional, not unusual at all.

As for the other question, melody notes can be harmonized in many ways, some more interesting than others. Composers (or arrangers) will frequently choose the less obvious ways, precisely for that reason. In fact, hymns and carols are normally harmonized in straightforward, traditional ways. They're "weird", compared to what?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write