The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-05-2016, 02:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Osthoff 0-12, new model

I mentioned this in another thread, that I am starting a new model. It all came about when I was going through my Adirondack Spruce stash and came across a really nice top. I was going to make it into a GP (Grand Parlor) or a 00-12. Upon further investigation I found this top (once processed) will be too small for either. I know sometimes a builder will put (ears) on the lower bout to get a little more width but I was not really keen on that idea. Rather than just throw this top back on the shelf, ADD got the better of me, and the 0-12 was underway.

This model is a single 0 size with a 13-1/2" lower bout. The back and sides are mahogany. While I am still liking my SSP (Straight String Pull) headstock, this one will be getting a little variation on that with the NQSSP (not-quite-straight string pull) headstock. It will still have the Stealth trussrod cover but I am going to also use Gotoh Stealth tuners on this one. More on the headstock later as that is still on the drawing board.

I finished up most of the tooling and started moving forward on this one. It is sort of a fill in project, but I hope to give it some attention in the next couple of weeks and after the new year.

Here are a few shots, first up the top

The back and sides getting ready

Here I am (Dynamically) testing the back for stiffness. In this particular shot, I am looking at the stiffness across the grain.

The back after joining (shown through the fixture)

Last edited by John Osthoff; 12-05-2016 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 PM

That is looking really nice thus far John. That top looks pretty amazing, tight straight grain. I like the name of the new headstock NQSSP...I am sure it will catch on (well maybe, haha)...

Must be a lot of work to make all new forms etc. for a build. I have always wondered about the forms, are they just plywood laminated together and then cut to shape?

This will be a fun project to follow, I hope you have time to post as you go along.

Tom
Old 12-05-2016, 08:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That is looking really nice thus far John. That top looks pretty amazing, tight straight grain. I like the name of the new headstock NQSSP...I am sure it will catch on (well maybe, haha)...

Must be a lot of work to make all new forms etc. for a build. I have always wondered about the forms, are they just plywood laminated together and then cut to shape?

This will be a fun project to follow, I hope you have time to post as you go along.

Tom
Hi Tom,

I will try to keep up with the photos of the process. Yea it is a really nice piece of Adirondack. Regarding the forms, yes they are plywood laminated together. I have used MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) which makes nice forms (as long as they don't get wet.) MDF is really heavy though.

I sent a sketch of the NQSSP headstock to a guy who is working with me on an archtop project. We plan to use it on that one, although it will probably be getting something other than the stealth tuners we are using on this 0-12.

Thanks for checking out this one.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here are a few more shots from the shop regarding the 0-12.

First up, get the sides ready for bending

the sides (and binding) in the bender

Just right

Here is the side after coming out of the bender, the binding and purlfing went along for the ride.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looking good John. I am always impressed with your attention to detail. One of those forms looks like a laminating form. Are you going to laminate the sides?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

This will be a fun one to watch come together. I like the old school thermometer.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
This will be a fun one to watch come together. I like the old school thermometer.
Thanks Bill, Yea I like that little guy too. I have some digital thermometers too, but sometimes you can tell how hot it is just by the way the water "dances" on it. Don't get me wrong, I like precision, but this spot thermometer works great for this application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Looking good John. I am always impressed with your attention to detail. One of those forms looks like a laminating form. Are you going to laminate the sides?
Hey thanks John. Yea I will be doing double sides on this, or more accurately I should state, I have done double sides. It is mahogany over mahogany, and here are couple more shots of the process.

Working on the top and back now. Still have to do some design work on the top, and come up the rosette.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Still making some progress on this fill-in project. It has been fun.

I decided to go with a sort of Stauffer style rosette although I will be using rosewood and maple, no pearl. I also plan to make is a fairly thin band. More on that a little later.

The rim is taking shape and the linings are installed. Working on the back and will hopefully get the bracing on the top going next week. (Still have some design stuff to finish.) Here are some shots of the rim coming together

Old 12-10-2016, 03:20 PM

Looking good John!

I was so sorry to hear Memphis was cancelled as I assumed you would be there and I was anxious to try out everything you brought after falling into this magical Cocobolo OM of yours that I purchased at Woodstock!!! It is a standout among standouts in my home!!!!
Old 12-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Man, I've got to visit your shop. It's just down the road a piece. Beautiful John.

It looks like you "spot check" the temperature on the bends. What temperature are you shooting for?
Old 12-11-2016, 06:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looking good John!

I was so sorry to hear Memphis was cancelled as I assumed you would be there and I was anxious to try out everything you brought after falling into this magical Cocobolo OM of yours that I purchased at Woodstock!!! It is a standout among standouts in my home!!!!
Hey Tom,

Bob and I were talking about the Memphis show and had been planning on going back. I have done tons of shows over the years and I might just end up taking next year off from the show scene to concentrate on my build list and work on some ideas I had up my sleeve for a while. Still you are welcome to come over the Berkshires for a shop visit at some point, maybe once I string up this little guy.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Man, I've got to visit your shop. It's just down the road a piece. Beautiful John.

It looks like you "spot check" the temperature on the bends. What temperature are you shooting for?
I am sure we can figure out a time for you to stop by.

For mahogany, I preheat the bender to 310(f) and then bring it back up to 310 once the sides are in there. There is a little spring-back with mahogany but not enough for me to worry about as that gets taken care of with the epoxy when I laminate the double sides.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Got the back all braced up. (I didn't get shots of the whole process.)

Here is a shot of the (3) cross braces in the go-bar deck

Old 12-14-2016, 07:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

The rosette is based a bit on the staufer style Martins. This one however uses Maple (instead) of pearl, and they dark ring is rosewood.

Here is a closer look,

Old 12-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Very nice JO...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop