The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-05-2016, 09:05 AM

Default What strings do you prefer on parlor sized classicals?

On my regular sized classical I use either LA Bella 2001 or Aquila Alhambra. I was recently gifted a A&L Ami Nylon and I was wondering what you folks prefer on your smaller sized classical guitars. Lower or higher tension etc.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:02 AM

What is the string length on your new guitar?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
On my regular sized classical I use either LA Bella 2001 or Aquila Alhambra. I was recently gifted a A&L Ami Nylon and I was wondering what you folks prefer on your smaller sized classical guitars. Lower or higher tension etc.
Congratulations on your Ami Nylon. I've owned mine for nearly 4 years and I love it dearly.

There are 3 types of strings I've used on mine--all sounded good, but I've settled on a preference....below, in order of preference:

1. D'Addario Pro-Arte Dynacore with Titanium Trebles, normal tension. The Ami sounds best with these. They stretch into tune very quickly, last a long time and their inherent brightness balances well with the Ami's mellowness--yes it's a small body but the cedar top yields a very mellow tone, which has increased as it's been 'played in'.

Sometimes I substitute a D'Addario Pro-Arte Composite G string for the Dynacore titanium G string. The D'addario composite G string is known for sounding less 'tubby'; a frequent complaint about nylon G strings.

2. The Ernie Ball 'Earthwood' 80/20 Bronze Folk Nylon Ball-end strings. I needed strings, was low on funds, and these were the least-expensive classical strings at a local store, so I tried them--and they sounded/played really good! (though at first I only replaced the bass strings.) Like the Labella 'folk singer' ball-end nylon strings & the Martin ball-end nylon strings they, yes, have ball-ends--but none have ever broken. Ball-ends increase the break-angle over the saddle, which some say makes for better tone/volume. They also last a long time--longer than the LaBella and Martin ball-end nylon strings. If you prefer the traditional tie-method, just cut the ball-ends off and tie them as usual.

3. The basic, excellent, affordable, reliable D'Addario Pro-Arte, normal tension.

I also tried the LaBella 820 red nylon flamenco strings on the Ami, but the sound wasn't as good as with the above-listed sets, so I transferred them to my 1962 Swedish-built Goya G-10 and, happily, they sound great on the Goya!

Hope this input helps you find the right set for your Ami Nylon.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:33 AM

Thank you for the replies. I think it's 25.6 string length. I currently put Aquila Alhambra on it. Currently liking it. Does medium or high tension strings work better for this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical