The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-04-2016, 05:43 AM

Understanding the theory is important no question about that but if you want to get really good at this... I mean really good... then you need to do this all the time and have clever way to approach how you learn.

I learn average 1-3 songs by ear every day. Past couple days Madonna songs. When I learn new songs I put them to categories of music styles, artists etc. Learning 1-3 songs mean song types I don't already know. Hearing a new song which song type I have already learned is not really learning. It is knowing what you previously learned (I hope you understand what I mean).

It is very exciting journey and the joy you get when you learn something new is great.

One tip I can give is that when you learn a new song and you think you got the first chord right... Then when you get the second chord right: Analyze, feel, categorize and do everything you can to learn that movement from every single possible angle (bass movement up and down, inversion etc).

For example Madonna

1. Papa Don't Preach is down the line in minor (when you know that pattern you can play the song in any key) It goes Fm-Eb-Db-Eb if you want to know chords. Of course Em is better key or capo 1st fret.
2. Like A Virgin has famous 1-2 movement F#-G#m. I just played this from C.
3. Like A Prayer Dm-C-Gm.... I learned this song also today and it was lot of fun. Chorus from relative major. F-C-Bb-F/A-Dm-C.

Learn/transpose every song also to guitar friendly open keys. C and Am or G and Em.

Another way to learn is that you don't actually listen the song at all. You just map it out from guitar friendly key. Songs which are familiar but you dont know how to play them. For example everyone knows Hey Jude. Take a C or G as a first chord and just play it from there... Easy? Not really but doing this will give you good skills if you learn clever way...

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:05 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
If C is your root, four steps to the right in your circle of fifths is E. Work back to C and the sequence is;

E, A, D, G, C.

Make each chord a 7th and you get;
Code:
|C - - - |E7- - - |A7- - - | - - - - | D7 - - - |G7- - - |C - - - |G7 - - - |
The chord sequence to Five Foot Two. Try it.
Thanks. I will :-)
Old 11-07-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiPaldanius View Post
Understanding the theory is important no question about that but if you want to get really good at this... I mean really good... then you need to do this all the time and have clever way to approach how you learn.

I learn average 1-3 songs by ear every day. Past couple days Madonna songs. When I learn new songs I put them to categories of music styles, artists etc. Learning 1-3 songs mean song types I don't already know. Hearing a new song which song type I have already learned is not really learning. It is knowing what you previously learned (I hope you understand what I mean).

It is very exciting journey and the joy you get when you learn something new is great.

One tip I can give is that when you learn a new song and you think you got the first chord right... Then when you get the second chord right: Analyze, feel, categorize and do everything you can to learn that movement from every single possible angle (bass movement up and down, inversion etc).

For example Madonna

1. Papa Don't Preach is down the line in minor (when you know that pattern you can play the song in any key) It goes Fm-Eb-Db-Eb if you want to know chords. Of course Em is better key or capo 1st fret.
2. Like A Virgin has famous 1-2 movement F#-G#m. I just played this from C.
3. Like A Prayer Dm-C-Gm.... I learned this song also today and it was lot of fun. Chorus from relative major. F-C-Bb-F/A-Dm-C.

Learn/transpose every song also to guitar friendly open keys. C and Am or G and Em.

Another way to learn is that you don't actually listen the song at all. You just map it out from guitar friendly key. Songs which are familiar but you dont know how to play them. For example everyone knows Hey Jude. Take a C or G as a first chord and just play it from there... Easy? Not really but doing this will give you good skills if you learn clever way...

Good luck.
Good advice! Thank you
Old 12-08-2016, 09:29 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for great suggestions.
I can tell when a song resolves but finding key depending upon that is not happening soon.

I read some scale/key theory articles and it's good stuff.
So far this made into my thick skull...
>>Most things are based on major scale.
>>1 3 5 notes of major/diatonic scale make a chord.

>>There are 7 chords in a key that use the notes in that scale and chords follow this pattern:
Major triad: 1 3 5
Minor triad: 1 b3 5
Diminished triad: 1 b3 b5
Major pattern: Maj min min Maj Maj min dim.
Minor pattern: min dim Maj min min Maj Maj.

>>A lot of songs I looked at follow I IV V IV or I V IV I progression.
>>A lot of songs in key of G follow G Em C D G progression.

This helps narrow down the chords.
Need to make the chords by heart so I don't have to think and calculate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write