The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
Thanks for the updates. So, what strings are fitted standard?
No idea, but I don't like them at all. Certain strings played much louder than others, tensions were a bit odd. The D'Addarios I really liked were all of $6, so I don't know why they don't fit something similar.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
No idea, but I don't like them at all. Certain strings played much louder than others, tensions were a bit odd. The D'Addarios I really liked were all of $6, so I don't know why they don't fit something similar.
The strings we fit as standard on the X20 are Daddario EXP 11 which are .012 to .053 80/20 bronze.
We find these to be a great all rounder but certainly may not be the perfect string depending on preferences. I always encourage people to try various strings to find what works best for them.
Alistair
Old 12-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Thumbs up Moved from Lowden to Emerald X-20 Artisan

I love my Emerald X-20 Artisan! Mine is the amber color. I have ten plus guitars... 2 Taylors, 2 custom Lowdens, a Cordoba classical, etc., just to name a few. Through the years, 35 plus, I've become very picky about the sound of my acoustics. I've experimented with various pickups, usually preferring K&K for their authentic reproduction of sound although they are prone to feedback.

I spent many years touring and had many accidents happen to my guitars. Once, at a church, a lady dancing on stage kicked my Ovation Custom Legend across the platform. Incidents like this made me not want to take my pristine Lowdens out! But, nothing ever sounded as good, until... I found my Emerald! The trick with the Emerald X-20, for me, was stringing it with Elixir 80/20 medium gauge strings. It really came alive! Brilliant highs but not strident... full and balanced lows but not muddy. And mid-tones only to dream for. As far as the B-Band pickups, I never thought I would love anything better than the K&Ks, but, they are way better and easy to deal with. Plus, the tuner comes close to my Peterson.

I play through a Fishman Aura Spectrum and loop in a DigiTech (Hardwire) Supernatural Ambient Verb for a little reverb and slight (ever so slight) chorusing. I have more comments and praises on the sound than all my years of playing. I never thought I would like a carbon fiber guitar but I LOVE this one!!! Also, it stays in tune and the intonation is perfect all the way up the neck. To me, the radius feels wonderful. If you're a high end acoustic player, i.e., Lowden, Goodall, etc., you'll love the Emerald.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:50 PM

I have a red X20 Opus and I agree that the Elixir strings work great. I am trying to reduce the number of acoustics around the house. I am (as always) still looking for the perfect acoustic, but so far the X20 is destined to become my only guitar assuming that I manage to sell the rest.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-28-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
I love my Emerald X-20 Artisan! Mine is the amber color. I have ten plus guitars... 2 Taylors, 2 custom Lowdens, a Cordoba classical, etc., just to name a few. Through the years, 35 plus, I've become very picky about the sound of my acoustics. I've experimented with various pickups, usually preferring K&K for their authentic reproduction of sound although they are prone to feedback.

I spent many years touring and had many accidents happen to my guitars. Once, at a church, a lady dancing on stage kicked my Ovation Custom Legend across the platform. Incidents like this made me not want to take my pristine Lowdens out! But, nothing ever sounded as good, until... I found my Emerald! The trick with the Emerald X-20, for me, was stringing it with Elixir 80/20 medium gauge strings. It really came alive! Brilliant highs but not strident... full and balanced lows but not muddy. And mid-tones only to dream for. As far as the B-Band pickups, I never thought I would love anything better than the K&Ks, but, they are way better and easy to deal with. Plus, the tuner comes close to my Peterson.

I play through a Fishman Aura Spectrum and loop in a DigiTech (Hardwire) Supernatural Ambient Verb for a little reverb and slight (ever so slight) chorusing. I have more comments and praises on the sound than all my years of playing. I never thought I would like a carbon fiber guitar but I LOVE this one!!! Also, it stays in tune and the intonation is perfect all the way up the neck. To me, the radius feels wonderful. If you're a high end acoustic player, i.e., Lowden, Goodall, etc., you'll love the Emerald.
Do you think the K&K mini pure would not be a good choice for the X20 ?
Old 12-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

How long have you had your X20? I understand Emerald has changed to LR Baggs pickups, with in-the-soundhole controls. I have the B-Band in my X7, and it kicks butt! I have no issue with the barndoor install with the B-Band; the only downside of the B-Band from my perspective is those little control knobs. Fortunately, I set 'em once and generally don't have to mess with them again.

Any others here want to share their experience with the LR Baggs (either the Element Active or the Anthem) with us? You know, in case a guy was thinking about falling off the GAS wagon.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 PM

My used (3 year old ) X 7 came with the little B Band barn-door (It must be a teeny barn !) I would not have chosen this and I too have K&K minis in other guitars.

I don't want the added complication of being able to adjust so many settings on the guitar. Volume control is handy, otherwise too much to go wrong for my limited skills...

However, I played around with it thru' my Fishman Artist at home, dialled in how I liked it, and didn't touch anything but the master vol when I did an o.m with it later.

It really is a great little p/u system . The controls all actually do things which make a noticeable difference to the sound.

The tiny pots all have a nice smooth solid feel, with a centre notch in all but the volume, they stay put after adjustment.
Unlike those 3 knobs on Taylor's ES, that they located under your fretting hand, right where you'll hit them, but move anyway if you breathe on them....

The tuner works fine, although a bit harder to see and trickier to fine-tune than a Snark.

I wouldn't want one of these on my wooden guitars, for aesthetic/snobbery reasons, but I have decided to grant the X7 a pass, as it's so unconventional looking anyway.

What surprised me is the size ! If you are looking at this pic on a 15" monitor like mine, then that's larger than life. It only measures about 2" x 1.3/4"

Best of all ,, EVERYTHING GOES UP TO 12 !!! Rock and Roll !

Last edited by Long Jon; 12-28-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:01 AM

Smile

Quote:

I think what I love so much about this post is that eusebius has been on the forum 10 years . . . . and this is his 3rd post. This is a man of few words!

When someone posts this seldom, I pay close attention to what they have to say when they do choose to write.

Great post and sounds like the X20 is a GREAT guitar!

Look forward to hearing from you again in a few years!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber