The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Played 3 LaPatrie guitars (etude,concert,collection)

So I went to the local shop today and played 3 of the LaPatrie models, starting with the Collection (~$590), Concert (~420), and the Etude (~350). I have an Etude that I bought 15 years ago and it's a really nice guitar but both the Collection and Concert sounded better than my Etude and better than the Etude I played today ... I guess I'm not surprised because the Collection (cedar/EIR) and Concert (cedar/mahogany) are all solid wood guitars and are "higher" models. And the Etude is cedar/lam wild cherry).

Anyway, I was impressed with both the Collection and the Concert. They both seemed to have a lot of "depth" (sorry for the lack of tonal words) compared to the Etude. I'm going to keep my eye open for a used Concert.

Anyone else play these guitars?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM

I played a Collection many years ago when I was looking around at classicals, and I was surprised and impressed by the tone out of such a relatively low priced guitar. I was out of work at the time so couldn't really do anything about it, but it the impression it made has stuck with me to this day.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
I played a Collection many years ago when I was looking around at classicals, and I was surprised and impressed by the tone out of such a relatively low priced guitar. I was out of work at the time so couldn't really do anything about it, but it the impression it made has stuck with me to this day.
I too was surprised at the tone, very lush. It was tuned 1/2 step down whereas the Concert was standard tuning so it made it difficult to do a straight comparison.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM

As is the case with Seagulls, I've always been impressed by the LaPatrie guitars I have played. Seagulls and LaPatries are always the first guitars to come to mind when I hear of folks looking for modest-priced guitars. I like my Spanish-made classical better, but had I been restricted to the <$1K price range I think I probably would have ended up with a LaPatrie. And it would have been a nice playing and very satisfying guitar to play.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've played a couple dozen LaPatries - guitars my students have owned, as well as playing them in guitar shops. They've been excellent in workmanship and sound quality.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 PM

I have a Presentation (same as Collection with out the gloss finish I think). It has a great tone and the fit and finish are excellent as well. All in all a great guitar.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
As is the case with Seagulls, I've always been impressed by the LaPatrie guitars I have played. Seagulls and LaPatries are always the first guitars to come to mind when I hear of folks looking for modest-priced guitars. I like my Spanish-made classical better, but had I been restricted to the <$1K price range I think I probably would have ended up with a LaPatrie. And it would have been a nice playing and very satisfying guitar to play.
Those thoughts come to my mind too, regarding recommending those guitars at that price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
I've played a couple dozen LaPatries - guitars my students have owned, as well as playing them in guitar shops. They've been excellent in workmanship and sound quality.
That's great to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJScott View Post
I have a Presentation (same as Collection with out the gloss finish I think). It has a great tone and the fit and finish are excellent as well. All in all a great guitar.
I'll have to check out the Presentation. Probably save a few $ without the full gloss. The Collection was very glossy.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Dru, I've found that a bone saddle really helps the tone from laminated guitars. If you want to improve your Etude, I bet it could help a lot.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi View Post
Dru, I've found that a bone saddle really helps the tone from laminated guitars. If you want to improve your Etude, I bet it could help a lot.
Thanks Sachi. Great idea. I must admit I rarely play it and I need to pick up strings next time I'm at the shop. I keep lots of electric and acoustic strings at home but no spare classical sets.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM

So I put new strings on my Etude last night. It makes a difference but the Concert and Collection I played still have a better tone to me. I
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Yep. I bought a La Patrie Concert this afternoon. I ran across one at Guitar Center for almost $100 off the Musician's Friend price, and they knocked another $50 of due to a small nick on the back of the headstock.

I like the radiused fingerboard.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:46 PM

I have a 15-year-old Etude, which is my only nylon guitar (since selling my Taylor NS32CE a couple of years ago.) I bought it used for ~$200, added a K&K Pure Classic pickup, sanded down the back of the neck for feel/texture and it's a keeper. I'd grade it:

Playability: A-
Unamplified Sound: B
Amplified Sound: A
Visual Appeal: C
Bang for the Buck: A+
Old 05-09-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiked0 View Post
Yep. I bought a La Patrie Concert this afternoon. I ran across one at Guitar Center for almost $100 off the Musician's Friend price, and they knocked another $50 of due to a small nick on the back of the headstock.

I like the radiused fingerboard.
Congrats! How do you like it and how does it compare to other classicals you've played?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
I have a 15-year-old Etude, which is my only nylon guitar (since selling my Taylor NS32CE a couple of years ago.) I bought it used for ~$200, added a K&K Pure Classic pickup, sanded down the back of the neck for feel/texture and it's a keeper. I'd grade it:

Playability: A-
Unamplified Sound: B
Amplified Sound: A
Visual Appeal: C
Bang for the Buck: A+
Great review, Patrick. My Etude is also 15 years old ... well, 16 I guess. 1997.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Congrats! How do you like it and how does it compare to other classicals you've played?
It stacks up pretty well. I think my 1962 Goya G17 had a sweeter sound, my 2000 Esteve GR9C had more volume and was a bit nicer in the upper register, but I'm satisfied with it. I also have a Taylor NS32ce, which has an so-so acoustic sound (although much improved to my ears since I first bought it in 2003).

I like the wider neck (50mm nut) on the La Patrie over the one on the Taylor (47mm), and the fingerboard has a radius which makes it relatively easy for me to play. I finally sold my Esteve to a student of my old classical instructor when it became obvious that the flat fingerboard was very difficult to handle due to my arthritis.

I'm idly considering a K&K pickup for the La Patrie. I have a McIntyre contact microphone on the Taylor and it sounds very nice, much nicer than the piezo that came on it.

The La Patrie seems to be of very nice quality, the tuners stand out as being much nicer than I would have expected on this price range. Very smooth. It seems to be well set up from the factory.

I think I may try some Savarez Alliance Corum strings on it in the near future, they might help the upper register a bit.

I've played some fairly expensive custom classicals in the past, and they didn't sound that much better to my ears than the Esteve, so I use that as my benchmark.

I'd likely still be playing my Goya except that after 40 years, the top rose behind the bridge and sunk in front of it so it's now unplayable. It was my only guitar between about 1968 and 2000 and traveled coast-to-coast with me. I miss it. It's as if an old friend had died.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:56 PM

hii

I like play guitar but I don't know how to play it? I want to learn play guitar.

pease sugges me when it easily possible..

.................................................. .....

top ten classified website

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical