The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2017, 05:12 PM

Default K&K Pre Phase Internal Preamp

Since I am using modeling for the pickups in my guitars, I found that the internal mic in the DTAR, while excellent, was just getting in the way, or added little to the mix.

If I didn't use modeling, then it would still be beneficial. Also, my other guitars are ES2 without mics, so I wanted a similar setup for the Martin.

I purchased the Pre Phase internal preamp from K&K and removed a substantial amount of DTAR gear from inside the guitar, as a result. That's good news!

The tone out of the K&K pre phase preamp is not as musical as the DTAR with the same K&K pickup. Go figure. The DTAR is warmer and smoother. A lucky accident I guess. However the K&K has lots of clean headroom and no noise that I can hear.

Keep in mind, once the signal hits the modeler, it doesn't matter. They all sound better through the modeling/processing software from Line 6 or TC electronics.

So far, so good. As a bonus, it seems I got a tiny boost in acoustic tone by removing the stuff adhered to the top.

I still have the onboard K&K ultrapure preamp system with the full controls. Haven't sold it. I may attempt to mod that in the future. That preamp was a bit more musical than the Pre Phase unit.

The only downside I see is participating in open mics straight into the PA. I'll need a little EQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-14-2017 at 05:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification