The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-27-2016, 09:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies folks. Keep'm coming. I'll take all the advice I can get. Was just listening to more X7 video's and I just can't help but think they sound "thin? " or "metallic?" sounding. I know that's probably a crummy description. I also don't trust hearing through a computer because I know that reality can sound very different.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

I am a strummer - I play to accompany my singing. My X7 handles strumming fine. I have a nice selection of guitars, wood and carbon fiber. I'll admit there is a "honeymoon" period with a new guitar, and the X7 is the most recent acquisition, 7 months ago. We traveled with it for the first 5 months, and since getting home, it is still the guitar I pick up most often.

I find it nicely balanced, and certainly not "thin or metallic." We all have to please our own ears, fingers, and hearts - the X7 does that for me. And so comfortable... it just makes me want to pick it up all the time.

I've only spent a few minutes with a Cargo, not long after I got my RainSong Shorty. I thought it sounded decent, but the neck felt cramped. I don't recall it being uncomfortable, but it didn't make me take special notice.

If one is deciding between these two guitars, sounds to me like a good situation to be in. My choice may not be yours, but they both have a lot of good going for them.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

What strings did you put on your X7 Jim? Thanks....
Old 12-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
What strings did you put on your X7 Jim? Thanks....
Elixir Nanoweb HD Lights. I didn't care for the D'Addario strings it came with - the sound was good, but a lot of squeek. The Elixirs have been my go-to strings on all my acoustics... I try other brands, but always come back. Added bonus: they last a long time. I have been buying the 3 for 2 packs.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Elixir Nanoweb HD Lights. I didn't care for the D'Addario strings it came with - the sound was good, but a lot of squeek. The Elixirs have been my go-to strings on all my acoustics... I try other brands, but always come back. Added bonus: they last a long time. I have been buying the 3 for 2 packs.
Coincidentally Jim, the guy who sold me my X7 included a pack of HD Lights as a nice little lagniappe with the guitar.

I was actually going to put them on my Taylor 312 (which likes lights) and stick 13-56 Martin PBs on the X7,
I've got a few packs of those, they are my usual dreadnought and GS Mini favourites.
I'm pretty sure the strings now on the X7 are plain mediums. Not sure I want to go lighter ...

ps. Thanks for the great word "lagniappe" which I got from you !
Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Cargo/X7

Have owned both. Currently own the X7.
Overall, I prefer the X7.
The Cargo is warmer, more bass.
The X7 has significantly more clarity. Better 'feel'. Top of the X7 is gloss while the b/s are matte. Doesn't slide off your lap. (Big +)
Old 12-28-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ted;

If I remember correctly I bought my first Cargo from you. It was a neat guitar, ultimately sold to move on to others. And then I ordered a Peavey Cargo just to see. There was a big difference in quality between the pre- and post-Peavey instruments. I think the original CAs were genius designs impaired by some issues in quality control.

I have been surprised that Peavey has not made a bigger push into the CF market, or maybe they have and I missed it. In any event I think the Peavey/CAs would fit the quality of your musical instruments.
I checked out the new Peavey Cargos and did not notice any major difference, but it's good to hear quality is even better than it was. I still have three Cargos, a custom gloss black given to me by CA, and two with the RT finish, which I purchased used from members here on the forum.

Interesting to read about the X7 not being slippery, I never has a problem with any of my Cargos sliding off my lap, not even the full gloss version. I guess this is where Rainsong has a distinct advantage, given their traditional shapes.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:21 PM

Default Emerald is too bright to strum

I recently purchased an X20 Artisan and am in the process of returning it. I am primarily a stummer (with a pick) and feel that the high and midtones have a sustain that builds as you strum eventually reaching a tone that is not to my liking. I have tried four sets of strings from the Daddario EXP19s that it came with to EJ16s to martin silk and steel and Elixer 13-56. Still too bright for me. I believe that it would be awesome for finger style as the notes are very clear.

I have played a cargo and love the sound but would like a closer to full scale guitar. I am currently trying to decide if the other CA models will come close to the Cargo sound (or maybe rainsong?). Anybody want to comment on the Cargo vs the GX, OX or Xi?

BTW, I think this is all moot if you are plugged in. All my comments pertain to being unplugged.

Last edited by Buzzy; 12-30-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:51 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
I recently purchased an X20 Artisan and am in the process of returning it. I am primarily a stummer (with a pick) and feel that the high and midtones have a sustain that builds as you strum eventually reaching a tone that is not to my liking. I have tried four sets of strings from the Daddario EXP19s that it came with to EJ16s to martin silk and steel and Elixer 13-56. Still too bright for me. I believe that it would be awesome for finger style as the notes are very clear.

I have played a cargo and love the sound but would like a closer to full scale guitar. I am currently trying to decide if the other CA models will come close to the Cargo sound (or maybe rainsong?). Anybody want to comment on the Cargo vs the GX, OX or Xi?

BTW, I think this is all moot if you are plugged in. All my comments pertain to being unplugged.
Too bad the X20 hasn't worked out for you. I own an '08 Cargo since new, and owned an '08 GXi (high gloss tobacco burst) from new until I sold it in '12 to help fund my Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck. When I bought the Cargo, I was so impressed with it, I wanted a full-size version thinking it would essentially be a Cargo on steroids with more volume, clarity, etc. I was right and I was wrong. The GXi certainly had more volume and also the wonderful bass that the Cargo is known for, but in reality, it was a whole other tonal beast with a beautiful piano-like ring to it. I only decided to sell it because of my lust for the Chimaera. I remain happy with my decision.

My take from my limited experience among CA models is that I wouldn't assume that a CA larger than a Cargo is going to sound like a larger Cargo. There will most certainly be some similarities, but I'd assume the full-size CA models will have a voice all their own. I hope I haven't confused you more than helped.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

The darker tone of a CA guitar might be right up your alley. At one time I've owned just about every guitar CA produced. They to me all share that darker tone over most other Carbon guitars that I've played or owned.

If I had to pick a favorite in the CA lineup that does everything pretty well I would say the GX was my overall favorite. To me the GXi was a little too bass-ie and the OX was a little lacking in overall volume for the little difference in size.

There Dreads are really great as well with my favorite being an older Bluegrass model.

Still if I had to pick one from the bunch I've owned I would say it's hard to go wrong with there GX model.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 12-31-2016, 09:05 AM

My personal opinion having played several Cargos (both old and new Peavey) and owning a new Emerald X7. The Cargo has a warm tone but with less definition than the X7. The X7 sounds great and has respectable basses, that increased noticeably when I replaced the tusq nut with a bone one. If you play fingerstyle I would definitely recommend the X7. Also, but this is a personal choice, I cannot play clean with a short scale as the one of the cargo.
Last but not least if the cost is important to you, an only acoutisc X7 costs less than 1K, an only acoustic cargo costs around 1.4K.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:06 AM

I have both a pre-Peavey Cargo and an Emerald X7-os. The Emerald is very bright in tone with not much bass response at all. My son says it sounds like a toy guitar. Whatever it sounds like, it has no resemblance to my Martin's or Larrivee parlor guitar. I think the lack of bass makes this a difficult instrument for me to bond with. But I have several friends who really like the Emerald's bright cutting tone! It does have excellent clarity and note separation.

The CA Cargo is a completely different animal. Strong bass response and a rather dark tone overall but the highs sparkle without that overly metallic tone of the Rainsongs I've played. The Cargo can sound muddy at times so if clarity is important for your playing, you may want the Emerald. Although I prefer a 24" scale over a 22-3/4" in theory, I find that I easily adapt to the super short scale too. Note that I prefer short scales anyway like the Martin 24.9" scale.

Anyway, I'm keeping my Cargo and selling the Emerald.

Last edited by LoMa; 12-31-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoMa View Post
I have both a pre-Peavey Cargo and an Emerald X7-os. The Emerald is very bright in tone with not much bass response at all. My son says it sounds like a toy guitar. Whatever it sounds like, it has no resemblance to my Martin's or Larrivee parlor guitar. I think the lack of bass makes this a difficult instrument for me to bond with. But I have several friends who really like the Emerald's bright cutting tone! It does have excellent clarity and note separation.

The CA Cargo is a completely different animal. Strong bass response and a rather dark tone overall but the highs sparkle without that overly metallic tone of the Rainsongs I've played. The Cargo can sound muddy at times so if clarity is important for your playing, you may want the Emerald. Although I prefer a 24" scale over a 22-3/4" in theory, I find that I easily adapt to the super short scale too. Note that I prefer short scales anyway like the Martin 24.9" scale.

Anyway, I'm keeping my Cargo and selling the Emerald.
I can't comment about the X7, but I totally agree with you in your assessment of the Cargo. Mine is also a pre-Peavey ('08). Any minor shortcomings it has are greatly overshadowed by all that it offers. It just doesn't seem to realize that it's "the little guitar that could", holding its own quite well among the big boys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber