The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 AM

No way. I don't know anything about cars but I know I could do an oil change and put on the winter tires if I wanted to. The problem I have is that I spend long days on the job (on the road too) so my spare time is my own time and that free time is worth more to me than the money I'd save doing it myself.

Perhaps when I have more time I'll tackle it.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jersey,

I did all my own car maintenance for years. It did save me a lot of money. However, in recent years and as I have gotten older, my osteoarthritis in my finger joints has gotten so bad that I have given up, even on routine oil changes. Now that my kids have all grown up and my expenses have dropped considerably, I guess I can afford to have someone else change my oil and keep my brakes up.

- Glenn
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM

Good lord, no. I don't know one end of a car from the other ... well, just about, but that's the extent of it!
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post

And without pix..... Well, you know, it never happened.
Very true
Here are my finished projects. Race the red one often. This will be the first season for the black one.

And the daily driver last. Dubbed Storm Trooper haha.

Last edited by JLed79; 04-24-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I try and do all the repairs and maintenance on our cars and motorcycles.
I find the grief of doing it myself much easier to bear than the grief of dealing with typical service departments. The more you know about automotive technology, the more you sense the bs often peddled in shops. Auto service can be bad, and ime, motorcycle service is worse.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 PM

I do it. Do I like it? Hell no. Right now the truck is up on stands getting a complete rear drum brake job (actually a rebuild) and new e-brake cables. The local shop quoted me $1900 parts and labor ... I'm into it for less than $300 in parts, and a few aggravating hours of labor. I'm selling the truck, it's otherwise in great shape for a '99. I also work on my 2002 Road King. It's easy to work on, just routine maintenance, tires, brakes and such in 65K miles. The HD shop gets nearly $300 to replace and mount a new tire. I costs me about $140, and that includes paying someone to mount the tire on the wheel. When I was working (now retired) and making six figures I had no time and had the money to pay someone. Now, I have plenty of time ... and much less money.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

I used to do most of my own repairs and maintenance. I enjoyed doing my own wrenching, and it saved me a lot of money to boot.

Nowadays I change wipers and bulbs. Anything more invasive than that is a job for the shop.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 PM

When I had the jeeps I did all the repairs. Wheel it, break it, repair it, repeat the following weekend. Got out of the offroading and now the dealer takes care of both our vehicles.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:36 PM

I've done it all my life and I still have one track car but these days I don't have much time so pretty well reduced to helping my friends with their nascar trucks on about 6 weekends a year. My daily driver is a 2010 F150 and it hasn't needed anything other than oil changes so far.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 PM

I've worked on my own cars since I was a teenager. Over the years I've accumulated a nice set of tools. I have 2 older cars, which I maintain very well. When a big job does come up, I can drive the other car and work at my leisure.

Some repairs on modern cars aren't exactly fun, but it's a darn good paying part time job. In general, I enjoy mechanical work. I wouldn't want to fix cars for a living, but as an occasional hobby/necessity it's alright.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I did in the days of owning big block Chevrolets. When I open the hood of my 2013 car, I can only assume there is an engine in there somewhere.
Same here. Altho I admit I never really "liked" it at any period.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:09 PM

After paying the dealership $85 to change the in cabin filer, I turned to YouTube. We have tractors and all kinds of equipment that needs to be maintained. It is not economically and time feasible to out source.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:17 AM

Moments ago, I finished the ONE job that a man's got to do, here, if he wants to pretend he knows ANYTHING about cars: made the swap from "winter tyres" to "summer tyres". A bit of a workout without power tools...

I also replace fuses, lightbulbs, and wipers when needed, and could probably do a few other things. Anything that has to do with engine, transmission, or suspensions goes to a shop. I don't have the facilities for coping with those.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-27-2014, 09:09 AM

In my younger days I had to do it all because of economic necessity. Brakes, clutches, mufflers, starters, fuel pumps, alternators, radiators... short of tearing down an engine or trannie I learned how to do it all.

Today.... I pump my own gas and put air in my tires and change wiper blades... that's about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic