The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 AM

Default Colonial America.

We took nine days looking for the 18th Century..some of this music is a good match for what we saw.
Lots of walking..

*Washington DC/Georgetown
*Charlotesville Thomas Jefferson's estate (Montecello)
*Richmond Va
*Agecroft Hall Va
*Colonial Williamsburg,Va
*Alexandria,Va
*Gatsby Tavern/Pohick Church/Mount Vernon
*Merchants & drovers Tavern NJ

We will go to Newcastle Delaware..Winterthur..and our usual vist to the big one Philadelphia Pa.

Last edited by Athana; 04-19-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:26 AM

I was looking for music of that era sometime ago -
and one CD that does a decent job is "Appalachian Journey"
with Mark O'connor ,YOYOMA -etc. even has a cut with james taylor on it .
Guess I got lucky with this one -i found it at my salvation Army brand new for a buck !
its a great CD ...
Old 04-20-2014, 09:20 PM

I kind of don't understand why this was knocked over here as this post is about music ?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I live right near Colonial Williamsburg. The stores in the Colonial district keep a pretty good supply of Colonial period music and the Williamsburg Chamber Ensemble collects period instruments and plays concerts on them. A little-known factor in the musical scene was how important playing an instrument was to social status. The landowners were expected to learn an instrument. From there, movement within the social scene was often greased by being able to play and complete an ensemble. A well-to-do person would order sheet music from the latest of what we call classical chamber music in Europe. When it arrived, they would throw a party, inviting players who they thought could carry their end of the board to successfully play the music. There would be a meal and fellowship and then the players would repair to the parlor to work up the piece while the wives would socialize. Eventually they'd play it for everyone present. Meanwhile, personal relationships were curated and the beginnings of business relationships planted.

If you are ever in Williamsburg and get a chance to attend one of their candlelight concerts, do. It is amazing.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
I kind of don't understand why this was knocked over here as this post is about music ?
if it was in the general acoustic section, and wasn't about guitars specifically it goes here.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I live right near Colonial Williamsburg. The stores in the Colonial district keep a pretty good supply of Colonial period music and the Williamsburg Chamber Ensemble collects period instruments and plays concerts on them. A little-known factor in the musical scene was how important playing an instrument was to social status. The landowners were expected to learn an instrument. From there, movement within the social scene was often greased by being able to play and complete an ensemble. A well-to-do person would order sheet music from the latest of what we call classical chamber music in Europe. When it arrived, they would throw a party, inviting players who they thought could carry their end of the board to successfully play the music. There would be a meal and fellowship and then the players would repair to the parlor to work up the piece while the wives would socialize. Eventually they'd play it for everyone present. Meanwhile, personal relationships were curated and the beginnings of business relationships planted.

If you are ever in Williamsburg and get a chance to attend one of their candlelight concerts, do. It is amazing.

Bob
Thanks Bob..lovely.You brought me right back.
I wish the society was set up more like that today.
We did go to the main church one evening and students from the W&M played..nice atmosphere. I think the williamsburg visit was my favorite,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic