The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Well, I'm also seeing ads on TV for a product I didn't understand at first. It's a shaver designed for men's chest and body hair. Would not occur to me to shave my chest but enough do it to justify a special tool for the job.
I just heard about this, too. Maybe swimmers? I know a few women who shave their arms as well as their legs and pits. I had never heard of this until recently.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
I just heard about this, too. Maybe swimmers? I know a few women who shave their arms as well as their legs and pits. I had never heard of this until recently.
It appears to be fashion versus sports performance enhancement. I was thinking of having mine shaved in the shape of a guitar.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
It appears to be fashion versus sports performance enhancement. I was thinking of having mine shaved in the shape of a guitar.
Be sure to share a photo of that!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:54 PM

I love shaving. I use a badger brush and DE razor. It's an enjoyable ritual. Much better than using canned cream and a plastic multi-blade razor.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 AM

Listen up... growing a beard, by itself, does not mean you'll make the Boston Red Sox!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Imo, the stubble look is a fashion statement of 20-30 somethings.

I used to shave every day during the work week, and on weekend days if going out with people. Although I prefer the clean shaven feel and look, since retiring two years ago, I generally shave every second day, unless I have a special outing.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM

C'mon Acousticado! No mention of a hockey playoff beard??!! I'm disappointed

Got mine underway right now (the wife insists!!). I think it looks like road kill but all the 20 something girls are bumping into me with their carts now at the grocery store. They're either flirting or trying to check me into the boards. Either way....

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 AM

Default Time to shave?

http://youtu.be/1XlH7as17tc

Just the first 30 seconds apply here I think. After that it's definitely risqué. View with caution, or just turn it off after the beard part. The whole thing is pretty funny though.
*No offense intended to anyone*

Last edited by JLed79; 04-18-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
C'mon Acousticado! No mention of a hockey playoff beard??!! I'm disappointed

Got mine underway right now (the wife insists!!). I think it looks like road kill but all the 20 something girls are bumping into me with their carts now at the grocery store. They're either flirting or trying to check me into the boards. Either way....
Ha-ha…note I did say 20-30 somethings...even hockey players are that age.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Isn't keeping that look just as much work as shaving everyday?
Not the way I do it.

I just use a beard trimmer about once a week. Don't mess with trying to "sculpt" anything or shave off parts of it.

That's FAR easier than shaving every day.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
If you were in the hospital would you like someone who looks like Dr. House walking into the room to tell you what treatment you need?
Absolutely. Especially if he had House's reputation.

We used to have a CEO who believed (literally) that "casual dress leads to casual work" . . . that's just crazy talk. I can get a LOT more done when I'm dressed comfortably.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I would much prefer a well-maintained beard/mush or a clean shaven face than all that stubble
So, would I get a date with you, or not? (Ignoring the fact that we're both married )

Old 04-20-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
So, would I get a date with you, or not? (Ignoring the fact that we're both married )

It looks like you have more than stubble there.

I must be old fashioned. Here is what I am talking about that is not the greatest look.

This one is fine. It's just a short beard.

I realize that in order to go from shaved to a beard there are in between stages, but it (in my humble opinion) should not be part of a look on purpose, especially in jobs where people traditionally need to be well-groomed.

But then I am also getting used to the residents at work answering their calls with "This is Joe" instead of "This is Dr. Smith." and they expect me to call them Joe. So maybe I am just out of date with the times.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
This one is fine. It's just a short beard.
I'll take that as a "yes", then.

The primary (possibly only?) reason I wouldn't go for the complete "stubble" look is that it would require just as much work as shaving daily. That sorta defeats my purpose.

Quote:
But then I am also getting used to the residents at work answering their calls with "This is Joe" instead of "This is Dr. Smith." and they expect me to call them Joe. So maybe I am just out of date with the times.
Pretty sure I'm older than you (I'll be fifty in two weeks). I'm not sure what I'd prefer if I were a medical doctor, but I prefer being called by my first name at work. I'd say that's been the standard for at least 30 years (the length of time I've been working). It's pretty clear, though, that from reading well files, studies, etc. that people USED to be referred to as Mr. (insert last name here).

We sometimes refer to somebody just as (insert last name here) . . no Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, etc . . . primarily when there might be two people with the same first name that could be confused for each other were we to use the first name.

There's a consultant I work with who has a PhD, and we often call him Dr. Fred. That's become even more common now that his son (same last name) is my opthomologist.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:23 AM

As long as this never becomes too popular, I think we are okay

My ancestor William Harrison Stevens (1914), was a strong Democrat. He posed for a photo in 1905 that shows him in a very long beard. The story is that he refused to shave his whiskers until another Democratic president was elected. He died in 1908, still with a beard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic