The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Musical minimalist

Here's another perspective for you - on my death bed, I'm guessing I won't think "I wish I'd have shaved more"

5 minutes a day times 20 or more days a month - I'll spend the time doing something else!

Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Word.

Talk about a man that ruined a look for eternity.
That, and the pledge of allegiance.

• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM

I haven't been clean shaven much in the past 15 years. I like the beard and keep it nicely trimmed.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 04-17-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline music View Post
that, and the pledge of allegiance.

yikes!!!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:57 PM

I've had a beard since the early 90s. I keep it trimmed fairly short, but not "five o'clock shadow" short. I grew a beard because I hate shaving, and I got used to it. I still have to shave because my beard grows to the base of my throat and letting it go would look like crap, but I can let it go for an extra day or two because it's mostly white and doesn't show. It's not a matter of fashion consciousness, but rather a desire to look relatively neat and clean, especially to my wife. She likes my beard (she's never seen me without it) but she doesn't like the "I forgot to shave" look, either.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 PM

I can offer a woman's perspective here. Most women want a man with good hygiene and you can get hints about that from the facial hair. I would much prefer a well-maintained beard/mush or a clean shaven face than all that stubble that looks like a man has not showered for two days. Yuck! Not to mention stubble is not great for kissing. Ouch.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
I can offer a woman's perspective here. Most women want a man with good hygiene and you can get hints about that from the facial hair. I would much prefer a well-maintained beard/mush or a clean shaven face than all that stubble that looks like a man has not showered for two days. Yuck! Not to mention stubble is not great for kissing. Ouch.
You know, I would have thought that too. But I have 2 daughters in their mid-twenties, and they love that stubble look. I think it's kinda like lots of tattoos, some women love them on a guy, and other women hate it.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:48 PM

I shave only about once a week. And even then you probably couldn't tell I need to if you didn't look close. I have a mustache and goatee. But the beard on the side of my face is sparce and grows slow.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This comment I relate to. I consider shaving to be a matter of consideration for my wife. I always shave very closely every morning and my wife appreciates it very much.

I have a nephew in his mid-twenties in the sales business for a major department store chain. He has been quite successful, but he always looks like he has 3 days of stubble on his face. He tells me that is the "cool" look of today, "the fashion." Okay... if he says so.

If that's the look people want, it's okay with me. But that look doesn't work for me. I have coarse, curly hair and having my beard grow in on my skin is unbelievably uncomfortable for me. I would rather spend 5 minutes shaving every day. And I would rather enjoy my wife's reaction to a close shave.

- Glenn
Old 04-17-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have coarse, curly hair and having my beard grow in on my skin is unbelievably uncomfortable for me. I would rather spend 5 minutes shaving every day. And I would rather enjoy my wife's reaction to a close shave.

- Glenn
This is my case too. I have curly hair and the only time I've had a beard was in my mid twenties. In the growing stages, it was as Glenn said: the hair doubled back on itself and stuck in the skin. I persevered - why, I'm not sure - until it was long enough not to do that. At this point, I developed a new habit - playing with my beard! While reading a book, watching TV, you name it, there I was, twiddling away. I shaved it off after about 6 months, and it felt like pulling off an uncomfortable garment. I also saw what my face really looked like again after a 6-month absence!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Hints? I know as many guys who don't shave every day as those who do. I don't know any who don't shower every day on average. Lots of us need to shower more frequently due to our jobs and hobbies. I just don't see a correlation between the two. My wife has never complained about the beard or stubble, she loves me for more than that regardless. Both my adult daughters have long term relationships with bearded guys. Stubble has nothing to do with shower frequency.

Imho.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker36 View Post
You know, I would have thought that too. But I have 2 daughters in their mid-twenties, and they love that stubble look. I think it's kinda like lots of tattoos, some women love them on a guy, and other women hate it.
Maybe it's a generational thing, then. I don't mind tatoos. My husband doesn't have any, but tats (good ones) can be attractive.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
Hints? I know as many guys who don't shave every day as those who do. I don't know any who don't shower every day on average. Lots of us need to shower more frequently due to our jobs and hobbies. I just don't see a correlation between the two. My wife has never complained about the beard or stubble, she loves me for more than that regardless. Both my adult daughters have long term relationships with bearded guys. Stubble has nothing to do with shower frequency.

Imho.
I think it's just a cleaner look.

If you encountered a woman with very hairy legs and pits would you be as attracted to her as a clean-shaven one? She may shower daily but it just doesn't look as clean.

Again, maybe it's a generational thing. Or maybe some women are just used to their guys having stubble. My husband shaves daily unless he's sick or something, and I appreciate it very much.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:21 PM

Well, I'm also seeing ads on TV for a product I didn't understand at first. It's a shaver designed for men's chest and body hair. Would not occur to me to shave my chest but enough do it to justify a special tool for the job.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
This comment I relate to. I consider shaving to be a matter of consideration for my wife. I always shave very closely every morning and my wife appreciates it very much.

I have a nephew in his mid-twenties in the sales business for a major department store chain. He has been quite successful, but he always looks like he has 3 days of stubble on his face. He tells me that is the "cool" look of today, "the fashion." Okay... if he says so.

If that's the look people want, it's okay with me. But that look doesn't work for me. I have coarse, curly hair and having my beard grow in on my skin is unbelievably uncomfortable for me. I would rather spend 5 minutes shaving every day. And I would rather enjoy my wife's reaction to a close shave.

- Glenn
I can tell you, a lot of places would require that a man have either well maintained facial hair or a smooth shave, but not in-between. I know that's the case where I work, in a hospital. It's all about impressions. If you were in the hospital would you like someone who looks like Dr. House walking into the room to tell you what treatment you need? Or would you rather have someone who has on clean, crisp clothes, a neat haircut, and otherwise well-groomed appearance? Nurses are also expected to have a clean, well-groomed appearance. It's part of our dress code. One co-worker was growing out his beard and actually got a talking-to about the in-between stage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic