The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 PM

Watched it. Liked it. Especially BBT's character.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Yaaay ! We've got Fargo over here now too. Watched the first one tonight.

Pretty good stuff I thought. Right up my dark alley. I am not qualified to give a valid opinion on the accents.

I really like Billy Bob T's acting, always good to watch.

I don't know how Martin F. got the gig, instead of the thousand Americans that could have played that part.

Still, I wondered that about Hugh Laurie, Idris Elba, Tim Roth, Damien Lewis, Stephen Moyer, Charlie Hunnam , Ian McShane, David Harewood etc, etc...
Guess they can act.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Yaaay ! We've got Fargo over here now too. Watched the first one tonight.

Pretty good stuff I thought. Right up my dark alley. I am not qualified to give a valid opinion on the accents.

I really like Billy Bob T's acting, always good to watch.

I don't know how Martin F. got the gig, instead of the thousand Americans that could have played that part.

Still, I wondered that about Hugh Laurie, Idris Elba, Tim Roth, Damien Lewis, Stephen Moyer, Charlie Hunnam , Ian McShane, David Harewood etc, etc...
Guess they can act.
Ian McShane was epic in the HBO series "Deadwood". Guy should go to the hall of fame for that alone.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Ian McShane was epic in the HBO series "Deadwood". Guy should go to the hall of fame for that alone.
Oh yeah, his Al Swearengen ("Swearing Al" , cussing all the time) was
an intense character

Also interesting how well I remembered most of the actors from Deadwood when they popped up in other places .

The Fargo series sure landed a boatload of high-level actors , but TV is like that now .
Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post

Guess they can act.
It's not just the acting, it's having a good ear and taking the time to do a foreign accent convincingly. Some good actors can't seem to do that--or they don't try very hard.

I expect Freeman got the Fargo role in part because he has the right look. He's also a rather hot property right now in the midst of the Hobbit films, yet he's not so big a star as to turn down a good TV role. But if Lester Nygaard was the only role I'd seen him play, I wouldn't have guessed that he's British.

Similarly, I saw L.A. Confidential before I knew that Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe are Australian, and their performances gave no clues.

Last edited by cpmusic; 04-21-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
It's not just the acting, it's having a good ear and taking the time to do a foreign accent convincingly. Some good actors can't seem to do that--or they don't try very hard.

I expect Freeman got the Fargo role in part because he has the right look. He's also a rather hot property right now in the midst of the Hobbit films, yet he's not so big a star as to turn down a good TV role. But if Lester Nygaard was the only role I'd seen him play, I wouldn't have guessed that he's British.

Similarly, I saw L.A. Confidential before I knew that Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe are Australian, and their performances gave no clues.
I thought Martin Freeman was good, I realise he got the part because he's kind of "hot" right now. He is a little typecast as a downtrodden nice guy. ('Til he gets hold of a hammer anyway! )
Like some of the other Brit actors who made it big in America, I was very used to seeing him and hearing him speak his mother tongue. I am pleased to hear that he's doing a convincing accent.

I'd watched a lot of "The Wire" before I found out that Idris Elba is from the same part of London I live.
I already knew Dominic West was about as English as it gets, public schoolboy . Terrific performances from both of them playing Baltimore guys with impenetrable accents.
(I heard that series even went out in the States with optional subtitles ).
Old 04-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Default Premier of "Fargo" TV Series

I'm liking the series. Last nights show wasn't near as exciting as the series opener last week, but it's still pretty good.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 AM

It's not screening here in Safrica but getting to see it using alternative means. Just great! I'm rating it up with Breaking Bad and interesting to see ol' Saul featuring as well.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:06 AM

We probably won't be watching this (particularly if it is on one of the cable channels....I have no idea what channel it is on, but we don't have cable TV).

Despite living in the Midwest all my life, and in Minnesota for 20 years, we had not seen the movie until recently. Though there were some good things about it (e.g. some good, amusing characters), we found the movie to be awfully dark and depressing, and we were not sure we understood why it seems to be such a classic. Though we watch other movies that have violence, there is something about Fargo that just does not sit well with me. To me the story is ugly in a way that is just too ugly.

And the accents were just over the top. OK, maybe some folks actually talk like this, especially in small towns (I did encounter an older couple on a plane once who sounded exactly like Ole and Lena), but we have not encountered such extreme accents very often (and I interact daily with a variety of people of varying age who grew up in small towns across the state). And this is most certainly not the way you hear average people talking on a day to day basis in Minneapolis.

(And in the movie all those scenes where the characters were bundled up as though it was terribly cold but the streets were wet with puddles and all were pretty amusing.... if the weather got warm enough in the winter in Minneapolis for the streets to be completely melted like that some folks would be out there in light jackets or even t-shirts!)

Sorry for being a downer! Carry on!

Last edited by wcap; 04-27-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM

It's on FX , in the time slot left behind when JUSTIFIED's season ended. The movie and series are definitely dark, and any comedy comes along with a shudder or gasp , but it is, as someone already said, right up my alley.
No wood chipper (yet!) in the series, but the ice auger has a similar impact
(no , they don't drill anyone with it; that would be very inefficient !) .
The brutality isn't meant for everyone, but I appreciate how the Coens
do their violence with a solemnity and ..... respect, perhaps, that it seems real, and we feel it ; not like so much over-the-top, gratuitous carnage on TV
every day.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
We probably won't be watching this (particularly if it is on one of the cable channels....I have no idea what channel it is on, but we don't have cable TV).

Despite living in the Midwest all my life, and in Minnesota for 20 years, we had not seen the movie until recently. Though there were some good things about it (e.g. some good, amusing characters), we found the movie to be awfully dark and depressing, and we were not sure we understood why it seems to be such a classic. Though we watch other movies that have violence, there is something about Fargo that just does not sit well with me. To me the story is ugly in a way that is just too ugly.

And the accents were just over the top. OK, maybe some folks actually talk like this, especially in small towns (I did encounter an older couple on a plane once who sounded exactly like Ole and Lena), but we have not encountered such extreme accents very often (and I interact daily with a variety of people of varying age who grew up in small towns across the state). And this is most certainly not the way you hear average people talking on a day to day basis in Minneapolis.

(And in the movie all those scenes where the characters were bundled up as though it was terribly cold but the streets were wet with puddles and all were pretty amusing.... if the weather got warm enough in the winter in Minneapolis for the streets to be completely melted like that some folks would be out there in light jackets or even t-shirts!)

Sorry for being a downer! Carry on!
About the time the movie came out, my boss was a women based in Minneapolis. She was arranging a trip to meet with me and asked me about hotels near the office. I suggested one and she immediately asked, in a perfect Marge Gunderson voice, "Is it reasonable?" I started laughing and she was baffled having not seen the movie. I imagine she thought I was nuts. She even looked a little like Marge.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
If you liked the movie, You'll like the show.
If "Fargo" isn't my favorite movie of all time. it's close. I have watched the first three episodes and I'm starting to think that it could be the next "Breaking Bad." The music, the characters, the performances, the sets and locations, and the storyline are very much in the same vein as the film.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic