The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post

Don't shoot the messager..........

The Z-28 did have the best lap times, go figure. I am not a muscle car guy so I don't care one way or the other, just commenting on the article.
No worries bud. You know where I stand on cars too man. ;-)

It is interesting that it got the best lap time. I'm thinking that outcome was predetermined ;-)
Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
The May Motor Trend did a Z-28, Nissan GT-R and Porsche 911 Turbo S shootout and they gave it to the Z-28 ??.
Thanks. I have the digital subscription but hadn't read that article yet. Just read it on my phone and the outcome was not what I expected.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:13 PM

I would pick the Mustang. On top of everything else, CR gave it high marks and said even though it's a sports car (pony car) it also makes a very good daily driver.

I've driven the new Mustangs and they're extremely comfortable and fun to drive.

Of course, I've loved Mustangs since the 1964 1/2 came out...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
Haha. Thanks XYRN. Which M3 though? I have three lol.
I have a red E30 track car, a black E46 that's finishing up a track car conversion and the white E90 daily driver summer car. I don't know if I've posted pics of the track cars or not so probably the E90.
The track cars are great, but the E90 is by far my fav with the unstoppable S65 engine. That thing just makes my soul smile!
This one.

I can see why she's your fav!
Old 04-22-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepoet View Post
Most any year, I'd have said Camaro, but 2014 it's the Mustang, no question. For some reason, they screwed around with the taillights on the Camaro, so it just doesn't have the "attitude" so much.

Although I am loathe to recommend any Ford product, the Mustang is exceptional looking now.

What about Dodge Challenger? Now that would be a nice choice, even over the Mustang, IMHO...
There only making 1,964 special edition Mustangs for 2015

Both the Ford and the Camaro are way bugger than one might think.

The Mustang is way sexier, imo. The Shelby GT 500

It will set you back 60 grand
Old 04-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYRN View Post

This one.

I can see why she's your fav!
Ya. That's the E90. Definitely an amazing car. Gorgeous to look at too.
Thanks for the compliment!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Come on boys, it's got to be the mustang. I'm afraid I've been a muscle car guy since the sixties and have always had one. I have a Bullitt, which has just been an awesome car for many years now. It's very quite inside but my neighbor says that he can hear me coming from about 1/2 a mile away! Nothing else "sounds" like a mustang.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
Come on boys, it's got to be the mustang. I'm afraid I've been a muscle car guy since the sixties and have always had one. I have a Bullitt, which has just been an awesome car for many years now. It's very quite inside but my neighbor says that he can hear me coming from about 1/2 a mile away! Nothing else "sounds" like a mustang.

aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, and in black too.

I usually buy black cars. Many folks hate black cars cause they can be difficult to maintain. My philosophy is when I pick up my new car from the dealership I want it to shine like no other. Black cars are extra sexy.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo O View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post

aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, and in black too.

I usually buy black cars. Many folks hate black cars cause they can be difficult to maintain. My philosophy is when I pick up my new car from the dealership I want it to shine like no other. Black cars are extra sexy.
+1!
Very sexy car!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM

Thanks guys, it really is a sweet car. My favorite mustang body style is the 1965 Fastback 2+2 and this car has a lot of similar lines.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr

Last edited by williejohnson; 04-22-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I was wondering this too. If you mean the new Vette, then absolutely, but a camaro.... I'd be surprised to say the least.
First of all I am a life long Ford guy. I own two of the most collectable 1960's Performance Mustangs. A 69 Boss 302 and a 65 GT350 Shelby Mustang. But no matter my allegiance; the new Z28 is an amazing car.

The new Z28 is a no expense spared, streetable track day car. The 305/30R19 102Y Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tires fitted to all four corners are the largest tires ever fitted to a production car.

Prepare to be surprised!

Read the reviews. Here is one from Motor Trend.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...28_first_ride/

Here is the Motor Trend on track comparison of the Z28; the Porsche 911 Turbo and the Nissan GT-R Track Edition.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_totd_...ssan_gt_r.html

Read it and weep o'doubter.

Lap times at Barber Motorsports Park

Chevrolet Z28 1:36.17
Porsche 911 Turbo 1:36.34
Nissan GT-R Track Edition 1:36.45

Bang for the buck (price as Tested)

Chevrolet $76,150.00
Porsche 911 Turbo $199,065.00
Nissan GT-R Track Edition $117,590

That is running with the big dogs.

Or this article from Road & Track which includes an in car video of lapping the Nurburgring Ring as fasr as Porsche GT2 or a Nissan GT-R spec V.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...?click=main_sr

To quote the article

GM says their telemetry indicates there's another six seconds in the car, and I think that's conservative. But a 7:31 would be on a Porsche 911 GT2 time, and faster than a GT-R Spec-V (or at least until recently ).
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
Quote:
I was wondering this too. If you mean the new Vette, then absolutely, but a camaro.... I'd be surprised to say the least.
First of all I am a life long Ford guy. I own two of the most collectable 1960's Performance Mustangs. A 69 Boss 302 and a 65 GT350 Shelby Mustang. But no matter my allegiance; the new Z28 is an amazing car.

The new Z28 is a no expense spared, streetable track day car. The 305/30R19 102Y Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tires fitted to all four corners are the largest tires ever fitted to a production car.

Prepare to be surprised!

Read the reviews. Here is one from Motor Trend.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...28_first_ride/

Here is the Motor Trend on track comparison of the Z28; the Porsche 911 Turbo and the Nissan GT-R Track Edition.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_totd_...ssan_gt_r.html

Read it and weep o'doubter.

Lap times at Barber Motorsports Park

Chevrolet Z28 1:36.17
Porsche 911 Turbo 1:36.34
Nissan GT-R Track Edition 1:36.45

Bang for the buck (price as Tested)

Chevrolet $76,150.00
Porsche 911 Turbo $199,065.00
Nissan GT-R Track Edition $117,590

That is running with the big dogs.

Or this article from Road & Track which includes an in car video of lapping the Nurburgring Ring as fasr as Porsche GT2 or a Nissan GT-R spec V.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...?click=main_sr

To quote the article

GM says their telemetry indicates there's another six seconds in the car, and I think that's conservative. But a 7:31 would be on a Porsche 911 GT2 time, and faster than a GT-R Spec-V (or at least until recently ).
Well. I am definitely surprised. Those are absolutely some impressive numbers
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 AM

These are real 'personality' cars. Mustang isn't a car, it's a cult. It's a lifestyle. People who drive Mustangs tend to stay with them for a long time and can tell you engine sizes back to 1965. The Camaro never quite achieved the same cult status, but it has it's ardent followers. Personally, I think you have to get in these cars and drive them before you really get what they're all about. Numbers on paper help, but they're only a small part of the story. You have to try them on the same way you'd try on a suit.

I have recently driven a bunch of cars in this class. The V6 Mustang is a respectable choice if you like to drive straight ahead, but it suffers on corners. It's geared in a way that makes it fast but not quick. If you want one loaded with modern electronics and performance features, it will quickly get expensive. The V8 is a real-deal Detroit muscle car. It has has as much head-snapping power as I've ever driven, and it sounds terrific. It doesn't corner particularly well either, but it's so strong straight ahead that you don't care.

Someone earlier compared the Mustang to Ford Focus ST. Sitting in a Focus ST, I had the same feeling. But the driving experience is as different as night and day. The Focus ST is a FWD turbo-4 and has that turbo/rocket feel. The Mustang is all power. Honestly, if you're into that hyper-quick, inexpensive pocket-rocket kind of car, the Fiesta ST is the pick of the litter.

It's unfair to compare these cars a BMW, because almost any BMW is much more expensive and a much different driving experience. I say that as someone who drives a BMW. But the day will come when I have to switch, because I've gotten priced out of most of their lineup.

New car buyers should be aware that rear-view cameras will soon be required on all cars. If the car you buy today doesn't have one, you'll surely be gigged when you go to sell it. Many performance cars don't have them.

Finally, a warning to the first time car buyer: Beware of internet prices. They are advertising fiction. The final price of a car with everything included could be 15-20% higher than the internet price.

Last edited by AX17609; 04-23-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepoet View Post
Most any year, I'd have said Camaro, but 2014 it's the Mustang, no question. For some reason, they screwed around with the taillights on the Camaro, so it just doesn't have the "attitude" so much.
Yeah, they changed the tail lights on the Camaro because too many Corvette people were complaining about how the C7 looked like a Camaro in the rear. LOL.

Quote:
For the Camaro Z28, I believe they used a lot of trickle down technology from the Corvette including the 427 LS7 motor that produces 505 HP and 470 lbs. ft. of torque. They might also have the revised suspension, some weight shaving and the carbon ceramic brakes.

Personally, I think one would be insane to spend $70k on a Camaro. IMO, they'd be better off getting a slightly used C6 Z06 or even a C6 427 convertible for less than $70k and not have depreciation kick them in the teeth and have a better overall performing vehicle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic