The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 AM
do what huh?

Default What's your one that got away?

Everbody's got that one guitar that we miss dearly. Usually got sold off in a time of hardship or GAS, sometimes stolen or just disappeared.

Mine's a 76 Alvarez Yairi DY-57 Winchester. Very simple in appointments, solid spruce top, lam mahogany back and sides. Ebony fretboard and neck. It had herringbone inlay...man that guitar just brings me back.

It was sold to pay an electric bill about a year ago. I've tried tracking it down, but no luck. Found a guy out in Louisiana with the same year and model willing to sell, but you know how that goes.

So, what's yours?
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Marlboro spruce/eirw dread
Wrongbox Cigar Box Lap Steel
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 AM

During my many attempts to learn to play guitar then giving up, I purchased a nice Guild Jumbo. I think the dealer had it mislabled (and I didn't know the difference) turns out it was a pre fender JV-52, only 28 made. I ended up trading it back to him for a bass. Kind of wish I still had it.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 AM

ibanez artcore AG75. sold it to help fund my Taylor 114ce. i do miss it a lot. and my G2.1u is useless now. anyone interested?

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM

2 for me.

my first decent guitar was a 2004 taylor 214. actually built on my birth date (not the year of course). i thought because of that coincidence i was going to have it forever given that it was the guitar i actually improved and got addicted to guitar on. last year i sold it for monetary reasons and of course, wish i hadnt.

more recently, i had a martin OM-1 that i really loved. truly a face only a mother could love but boy could it sing. it was in my car when my car was stolen. yea that was a bad time, no car, no guitar, insurance didnt come through. i miss that om-1 every time i pick one up at a guitar store.

but its ok though. such is life. now im deeply in love with my Larrivee OM-09
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM

My 1967 Fender Telecaster. I sold/traded it towards my Gibson J-45 in 1968.
I now have neither; but that Tele is the one I miss the most. It was my first
good guitar.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 AM

My Guild F512. I didn't think I needed 2 12 strings, but apparently I do!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM

The only guitar I ever had any kind of real attachment to is still with me ... an early 80's Takamine EF349 (nothin' special). Others came and went over the years, but I never had any good guitars, and while I was busy with career and family, didn't need or want one. The guitars I now have are keepers, and it's a "til death do we part" kinda thing.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

At one point i was evaluating a Goodall Rosewood Standard from a friend that i probably should have bought. Sweet guitar.

Anton
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 AM

A Lowden F-35c/Maple last fall. I just couldn't come up with the money on a great deal for a wonderful sounding guitar that nailed what I was looking for. Still bums me out.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I just happened to stop in to my local shop and they had a 1 day 50% off Tippins sale (2 demos in stock). One was an OM, in cuban mahogany and adirondack. Well, I had already placed an order for a custom Goodall GC, in mahogany/sitka. I didn't buy the Tippin (still haunts me). Well, 6+ years has past, the Goodall is gone, and now I'm in the process of getting a cuban mahogany OM sized guitar (but I sure can't affort a Tippin now).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM

A '65 Fender Electric XII. It had been stripped to bare wood and (poorly) varnished so the collectibility was non-existent. It played like no other 12 string I've ever touched, and the electronics were just out of this world.

I talked myself into thinking I "needed" an acoustic 12 string instead.

tsk, tsk, tsk (shaking head)

Ed
Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM

There are two that come to mind:

1. A MIJ hardtail strat, two-tone 'burst with maple board. It had THAT sound, and sustain for days. Let it go because I thought I really didn't "need" an electric guitar.

2. A Takamine F395MS

Big, thundering 12-string sound. Sold it when I got an offer way over what I paid. Dumb move.

Tom
Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 AM

For me it was a Seagull Artist Series Studio with the L.R. Baggs iBeam Duet electronics. I couldn't really even play guitar when I bought it but I wanted to learn and figured I would start off with a nice guitar. I ended up feeling guilty for having such a nice guitar and not being able to play it, and I needed money pretty bad so I sold it. I definitely miss that guitar now. I also no longer feel guilty because I have more guitars than skill. After spending some time with a lot of other musicians and time on these forums I feel it's probably the norm I've decided everyone has a passion and something they spend their money on whether they are good at it or not. Like my cousin who spent $3000 on golf clubs and has never shot less than 120.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Musical minimalist

in '82 I sold a '78 American made B.C. Rich Mockinbird (rock maple, neck through) It was the finest electric I'd ever seen, let alone played. I sold it to buy my first good acoustic (a Yairi DY62) If I had known at the time what the value was going to do, I'd have kept it, sold it a couple years ago and bought a nice Goodall or custom Webber!!

You know what they say about hindsight....

Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 PM

Back in the early 80's, I sold a mint "The Grammer" 12 string. I'm pretty sure it had Brazilian back & sides.

But, that guitar paid for our honeymoon -- so selling it was a good move!

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion