The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2009, 04:55 PM

Default Yamaha Saddles - Perfect Fit

There have been some recent posts on the Yamaha FG series guitars, FG730S in particular. I, too, have one and am quite pleased, although I am no expert.

Several forum members have written about changing their saddle to bone. Unfortunately most replacement saddles aren't quite long enough to completely fill the slot on the bridge. Some have added some shims to fill the gaps.

Here is a better solution:

Yamaha has a website, Yamaha24x7.com where you can buy spare parts. It isn't easy to navigate, but here are the part numbers, they are perfect fits, too. They are 75x3x10 mm genuine Yamaha parts.

regular resin saddle: QA079000 $3.06
compensated saddle: QC458900 $6.28 (exact same as FG730S original)
bone saddle: U9337909 $8.84

You will have to sand them to the desired height, but that isn't any big deal and there is plenty of info on how to do that on this forum and other guitar sites.

Hope this helps.

https://www.yamaha24x7.com/yamahaoms/Default.aspx
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxden View Post
There have been some recent posts on the Yamaha FG series guitars, FG730S in particular. I, too, have one and am quite pleased, although I am no expert.

Several forum members have written about changing their saddle to bone. Unfortunately most replacement saddles aren't quite long enough to completely fill the slot on the bridge. Some have added some shims to fill the gaps.

Yamaha has a website, Yamaha24x7.com where you can buy spare parts. It isn't easy to navigate, but here are the part numbers, they are perfect fits, too. They are 75x3x10 mm genuine Yamaha parts.

You will have to sand them to the desired height, but that isn't any big deal and there is plenty of info on how to do that on this forum and other guitar sites.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Are these saddles as high quality as Colosi's?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 PM

-Or if you want a sense of accomplishment, do what I did and get a piece of cow bone and make your own. After processing the bone for a couple weeks as shown on a website to remove the oils from the bone, it really only took a few hours from rough cut stage to fully compensated and fit to the bridge slot. That was over a year ago and it still functions perfectly. Just one of those things where it's like, "Yeah, I made that myself."

L8R,
Matt
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM

I just plugged in the item numbers and nothing comes up?
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 PM

You need to use their quick order option, but it is probably easier just to call them. I have been surprised at how difficult it was to navigate their site.

Try this page:

https://www.yamaha24x7.com/yamahaoms/QuickOrder.aspx

Don't know how these compare to the Colosi. I believe they are used on Yamaha's L series guitars.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Forgive my ignorance on the subject of saddles. Since the stock saddle on the 730S is a compensated saddle, what all will I need to do if I order one of the bone saddles from Yamaha? I understand about sanding the bottom of the saddle to reduce height but anything else?
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM

I used mine and when the guitar is tuned, the tuner shows that the open and 12th fret are right in tune, just as it was with the compensated saddle. I found it to work perfectly. If one wanted to, I am sure you could file the top to match your original's shape.

I am not a luthier so maybe someone else will jump in.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Default and another bone yamaha option.

I just replaced a plastic saddle on a Yamaha DWX7C (looks like a 'cowboy' guitar and likely only available in the UK at this point), with a cheap bone unshaped saddle. It only took about 45 minutes, and worked out very well.

I ordered two just in case. They say they are for Martin guitars and probably are, but the dimensions were perfect. I have to say that I enjoyed being able to shape the tops and intonate them myself, since the original never felt quite right. One was unbleached, one bleached, and personally I couldn't see much difference.

So far, this is the first bone saddle I've found to make any sonic difference that was a positive experience.

---- from my order at LMII ----

Your Order
Quantity SKU Availability Price Total
1 S2 In Stock $3.55 $3.55
saddle, bone, steel string / older Martins 3.18mm x 7.94mm x 82.5
1 S2U In Stock $3.55 $3.55
Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan View Post
-Or if you want a sense of accomplishment, do what I did and get a piece of cow bone and make your own. After processing the bone for a couple weeks as shown on a website to remove the oils from the bone, it really only took a few hours from rough cut stage to fully compensated and fit to the bridge slot. That was over a year ago and it still functions perfectly. Just one of those things where it's like, "Yeah, I made that myself."

L8R,
Matt
I've been using deer antler. (I kill them myself) It makes great bridge and nut material. Takes a little skill with a table saw but it's not too difficult. Nice change in tone.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrrwr View Post
I've been using deer antler. (I kill them myself) It makes great bridge and nut material. Takes a little skill with a table saw but it's not too difficult. Nice change in tone.
I was wondering about deer bones and antlers. Pennsylvania deer got hit with a Bacteria 2 years ago. There are bones everywhere and I have found a few racks that have been knocked off in the spring also. Gotta find the antlers quick. Animals love chewing on them.

Note to the above on "do your own" It is a sense of pride you share with everyone in the house. The stench of sanded bone is intense.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Thanks for the link. Its a shame it is such a bugger tonavigate and they have so few parts. I can't wait till Yamaha does it right. Less frustraiting killing a cow and drying the bone!
I was hopeful of finding replacement pickguards for the old 300 series. I know there has got to be a pile of them out there with dust all over them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxden View Post

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM

I can't speak for the FG730S, because I don't own one, but the saddle you posted won't fit on my LL16 or my FG335II.

I just measured my stock saddles with my caliper tool and they are 75x3.5x10 mm

So, if you look at the compensated bone saddles in that exact size (which you can get by using the LL26 or LL36 as your model number) the price jumps up quite a bit to $36.17 + shipping. The part number is QC780200. Are you sure that the $8 bone saddle you posted is compensated? What model number did you get that from? Bob Colosi charges $31 (shipped) for the 75x3.5x10 mm compensated bone saddle that fits in the two Yamaha acoustics I have, which is significantly cheaper than buying them from Yamaha Parts. A saddle that's only 3mm thick might be too loose. I think it would be wise for folks to measure their saddles with a caliper and do the metric conversion before jumping the gun and ordering that $8 bone saddle.

Last edited by Buck62; 04-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Hi Buck,

Your calipers may need adjusting because your figures don't tally with the ones I normally work to.

You'll actually find saddles for both L and FG series measure in at 73.5mm x 3mm x 8mm. My measurements are taken from a number of spare Yamaha saddles from both the L & FG series and all share the same degree of compensation.

It doesn't take much work to produce accurate bone duplicates of existing saddles and - unless you prefer to buy off the shelf - I'd highly recommend making your own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion