The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Anti-Smudge/Fingerprint Polish?

I’ll be getting my hot little hands on the Martin OM-21 I ordered from Nazareth in the next week...since I got a little extra cash. I ordered it with an Ambertone top finish, and it’s a beauty if I do say so myself, but...

I saw two videos yesterday of Molly Tuttle playing two different Huss & Dalton OM’s...one a sunburst & the other a darker Amber burst, and they were COVERED with fingerprints & smudges! They looked terrible.

Is there a particular polish that will clean those off & ward against them in the future?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 PM

For less fingerprint smudges use less to no polish.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I’ll be getting my hot little hands on the Martin OM-21 I ordered from Nazareth in the next week...since I got a little extra cash. I ordered it with an Ambertone top finish, and it’s a beauty if I do say so myself, but...

I saw two videos yesterday of Molly Tuttle playing two different Huss & Dalton OM’s...one a sunburst & the other a darker Amber burst, and they were COVERED with fingerprints & smudges! They looked terrible.

Is there a particular polish that will clean those off & ward against them in the future?
Is this a serious question?

If it is, then I believe 'depths of minutiae' has actually become a viable topic in this forum.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-24-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:

The single best way to avoid fingerprints on the top is to not touch it with grubby mitts

I saw the video you're referring to, and actually thought the same thing - I was surprised she/the shop didn't at least wipe it down before making the video. But really there's no need for fingerprints to be on the top (except on the pickguard where some people will anchor their pinky, etc.).
Old 02-24-2018, 08:01 PM

Just use a microfiber cloth and use water. Make sure you remove the label if it has one.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-24-2018, 11:29 PM

I just use Dunlop 65 spray to wipe down when finished or when I want to clean a guitar up.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

A warm, damp cloth, followed by a soft, dry cloth.
If you really must use a 'polish' (although I don't know why you should), Music Nomad Guitar Detailer or Lizard Spit. A light spritz only.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Is this a serious question?

If it is, then I believe 'depths of minutiae' has actually become a viable topic in this forum.
At 2,500+ posts, surely you’ve seen this topic come up regularly. What’s wrong with being proud of a nice instrument and wanting it to look its best? If you can’t play like a master, at least you can look good.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
At 2,500+ posts, surely you’ve seen this topic come up regularly. What’s wrong with being proud of a nice instrument and wanting it to look its best? If you can’t play like a master, at least you can look good.
Oh, I don't disagree. It was the concept of applying something to the guitar to prevent the occurrence of fingerprints that I found amusing.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-25-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgeek View Post
None is the amount I use and haven't since my first guitar in 74. I wonder if the lack of polish use has sonic implications.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:20 AM

As a guitarist (of sorts), I cringe when I see an artist with a smeary instrument.
On the other hand, I also cringe when I see an artist who uses a guitar as a prop and it's all shiny and perfect because it's not really being played.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:

A few drops of washing up liquid and warm water on a soft cloth and well wrung will get them off just fine. Any polish you put on will smear eventually, especially when mixed with skin oil as well. Been there and worn the t-shirt.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgeek View Post
Here's your answer. I've never polished a guitar in 50+ years. And all my guitars are clean as a whistle. If they get a little grungy a quick wipe with a damp cloth followed by a little rub with a microfiber (terry) cloth. Most times the dry cloth alone is all that's needed.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Quite a few fortunate people here haven’t had to deal with or worry about smudges, fingerprints, haze, etc., and I was one of those people until I bought my Martin. The finish easily becomes smudged, hazed, etc, and I have to constantly wipe it down. It hazes up easily and the neck gets smudged easily, which is annoying as heck! A simple wipe down would not get rid of the haze, so I bought a bottle of Gibson Pump Polish, in the orange pump spray bottle, which helps control the problem a lot. None of my Taylor guitars have ever had this problem. I have HAD to use this product to remove the haze, which no amount of cleaning or wiping would cure. It also reduced the amount of fingerprints. So, maybe some of you who have not had to deal with this finish problem (congratulations) should be aware that some guitar finishes seem to be very prone to problems. I can also tell you Taylor’s finish is awesome and I rarely ever have to do more than a simple wipe down.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 02-25-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 AM

I find hot breath and a wipe takes care of most, lightly damped cloth at worst. I am very anti cleaners and polish and for me thats worked for over 50 years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion