The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 11:29 PM

It's simple, isn't it? She wanted to make sure you have a guitar you love. You. The D18 wasn't a personal statement by her -- it was a guess. I don't see any reason in the world why it would be anything but good to try other guitars and see if you like them more. What we recommend as far as instruments is irrelevant. Some of us like D18s, some of us -- I am one -- would prefer a good (not an ordinary) J45. But that's not the point. This kind woman wants you to have a guitar you love. What guitar do you love? And BTW, you're not being fussy at all. Matching yourself up with the right guitar is what musicians do.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:44 PM

Default some fine day

This world is lots smaller than we think. Some day OP may find himself in conversation where the generous and thoughtful gift of that guitar comes up. I think the gift is an unexpected generous gesture from someone who cares. There may be a time when cherishing the gesture of the gift of the guitar will be worth far more than the guitar. OP wasn't given a prepaid bank card, it was a guitar. Keep it and cherish it and savor the good vibes.

I think this post has more to do with honoring and respecting generosity than comparative merits of guitars.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:57 PM

Thanks for sharing your story.

Since you're new here you may not realize, but there are posts here just about daily of people (mostly guys) getting new guitars. Understandably, they're generally pretty excited and often gush on about their new acquisitions.

I've never read one that even comes close to your extraordinary tale, or involves the thoughtfulness shown my your former girlfriend. The world is full of guitars, but there's only one that's part of that amazing story and that embodies that special bond.

FWIW, when folks come around here asking what dreadnought they should buy, I'd guess the D-18 is probably THE most recommended model.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:59 PM

Great story. I’d keep the D18, only because it was the one your ex picked for you and you’ll be able to tell that story forever more when you pull it up it to play. Not exactly technical reasoning, but I’m pretty sure that’s what I’d do.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Take a play on Huss and Dalton CrossRoads DS and see if that neck doesn't make you think you're back with that vintage Gibby
Showoff!!
Old 02-25-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGraw View Post
There would be only one reason to sell the D-18........a ring....
Why? Cubic Zurconia is not that expensive............
https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#35764be7594f
Old 02-25-2018, 05:40 AM

Other than the d-18, have you played the other 3 guitars recently? I would play them all so you have a "now" reference point. You may find that the J45 is not to your ears liking now, or maybe it is? If not, the D-18 is a great all around guitar, and it is brand new. If needed, you can take it to a Luthier and have him/her set it up like you like it.

Having said all that...if she is not married, go get the girl back. If she is...definitely move on. Still a great story. Go play guitar!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:06 AM

The D18 is a very nice guitar and your ex obviously took some time to find you a good guitar even if it wasn't your first choice. What I'm thinking is in years to come that guitar could have a lot of sentimental meaning to you. I fear if you exchanged it or sold it to fund another guitar most of that meaning could be lost.

You sound like you have a lot of years ahead of you, theres still plenty of time to get that Gibby

Then....hey' I'm just a sentimental old fool, always was, always will be
Old 02-25-2018, 06:27 AM
Musical minimalist

Have a really good tech set that D-18 up to your liking and hang on to it. That's all I have to say about that.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGSanders View Post
Keep the D-18. Accept it as a gift from an old friend and enjoy it. Don't think of it as a replacement for your lost Gibson. Very likely you will grow to love it.

If you still yearn for a J-45, pinch your pennies until you have $1500-2000 saved, and buy a used one. That seems to be the going price on Reverb.

Certainly nothing wrong with having two nice guitars, is there?
+1 on this. You’d have two awesome guitars that will have different personalities. One (the J45) you know you love. And your first impression of the D18 is very positive. So it would be a win-win for you. Stash away $5 a day and in a year you’ll have the change for a J-45.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
That story has a kind of Dan Fogelberg ring to it. I would keep the D-18 for the memory, plus it is a fantastic guitar. Cool story and she sounds like a special woman.
This is the answer. Keep the D-18, write a great song about the experience, make a million dollars and buy all the J-45's you want.

Or just buy the acoustic division at the upcoming sale.

Greg Rappleye
Old 02-25-2018, 10:19 AM

I think OP should get whatever guitar he wants. I wouldnt keep the D18 for sentimental reasons, unless his ex would be offended by him exchanging it, which doesn't appear to be the case. He said she doesn't know much about guitars. Even if he exchanges it for Gibson, he will still have the same story, his ex gave it to him.
Just an analogy, I dont know anything about handbags. If I bought my wife one, it would be pretty much random, and I would want her to exchange it for a different purse she loves.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:27 AM

Personally, I'd keep the D-18, and then tell the girl that I was too broken hearted to mention it back then, but my vintage Rolls Royce Silver Cloud was also stolen at the same time.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-25-2018, 10:44 AM

If I had to guess I'd say the ex, at the very least, asked someone in the know about a quality dread or maybe she did a little research of her own. Either way it was a tremendous gesture on her part, and I would keep it, unless you are really having issues with it. For all we know she was intent of buying another J45 and was talked out of it because of issues with consistency. Certainly no worry of that with the current D18's.

Happy playin'!
scott
Old 02-25-2018, 10:53 AM

Prima facie, I'd send the guitar back. What's over is over and her attempting post-mortem redemption is wholly unneeded with sincerest assurances sent her way. Events occurred as they did. I'd pass them off as part of a history I can walk away from standing tall.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion