The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Oh yeah, two sm's in one thread. One of us has got to go.

Anyway, the Tortex are good too, for sure. Helluva value. As I recall, I think my attraction to the Ultex may have been more about feel than tone. Can't remember. But the 1.14 mm teardrop was my go-to pick for many years. And of course a next logical step would be to try the Primetone models.

BTW, folks, if you ask Dunlop will send you a few free samples to test and keep. Awesome company.

Silly: Question. Since you have now become the resident bevel maven here, along with HHP, do you find you like the bevels on the Primetones, or do you find you prefer to RE-bevel those? Just wondering.

sm #2, out
Hi Scott, yes I tried the primetones 1.5 346s. Didn't like them at all. No, I haven't bothered to improve the bevels.

I've also got a load of Fender Extra Heavy 346s which are pretty useless ... to me anyway.

Bevel Maven Huh?

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-24-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
After my way superior BC Tad 40/50, and my Wegen TF120/140, my third favourite is the purple Dunlop 1.14 tortex 346s

see :
Thanks so much for this! Very helpful.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 02-24-2018, 07:17 PM

There is a version of the Primetones that has raised lettering on the logo in the center of the pick. Really grippy. I love them.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 02-24-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
There is a version of the Primetones that has raised lettering on the logo in the center of the pick. Really grippy. I love them.
Dunlop says the "grip" and "no grip" versions are the same material but they don't look or sound the same. Suspect that the molding process alters the properties of the material.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
I use tortex picks and find that, contrary to what you'd think, moistening your fingers actually makes the pick easier to grip. Try wetting your finger-tip as if you were turning a page and see if that makes a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Yes to this! Whatever pick I'm using, I always lick my thumb- and finger-tip - I have very dry skin and wetting definitely works.
Yes, moistening your fingers helps, but, don't wash your hands with soap just before playing. The unseen soap residue will make your fingers slippery.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Scott, yes I tried the primetones 1.5 346s. Didn't like them at all. No, I haven't bothered to improve the bevels.

I've also got a load of Fender Extra Heavy 346s which are pretty useless ... to me anyway.

Bevel Maven Huh?
We may have to come up with some sort of official nickname designations -- out of affection of course. I'll let you guys work it out hehe. Anyway, I'm enjoying your posts more and more, and I find these kinds of insights, especially with photos, is such a great service to the members here to get them thinking about how to improve their playing (and tone) through experimenting with different pick shapes and materials. It's certainly the way I got hooked.

Have a good one,
scott
Old 02-25-2018, 12:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Dunlop says the "grip" and "no grip" versions are the same material but they don't look or sound the same. Suspect that the molding process alters the properties of the material.

HHP, this may sound weird to you, but since you and I are obsessed with picks, we'll just keep it between the two of us (I'm sure no one else is reading this thread).

This is bizarre, but in casein it appears that the coloration of the material actually changes tonality. In other words, the same material in two different colors will sound slightly different. Have you ever noticed that? I'm wondering if the same might apply to the Ultem that Dunlop is using in th4e Primetone line.

Just a thought,

memmer
Old 02-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
HHP, this may sound weird to you, but since you and I are obsessed with picks, we'll just keep it between the two of us (I'm sure no one else is reading this thread).

This is bizarre, but in casein it appears that the coloration of the material actually changes tonality. In other words, the same material in two different colors will sound slightly different. Have you ever noticed that? I'm wondering if the same might apply to the Ultem that Dunlop is using in th4e Primetone line.

Just a thought,

memmer
* I find this to be my experience too, even in celluloid. I have custom made heavy celluloids made for me that I give away at my shows and the blue ones sound different then the white ones which seem more brittle.

** I started experimenting with both Primetone versions in the 1.0 and found the same thing. The gripped version is more brittle and bright then the softer molded non grip version even tho they are both made from Ultem/Ultex which is a polycarbonate. I prefer the non grip tone for sure, yet I find my self still preferring my blue celluloid picks overall, including my BC TAD-1R 60 which is still very nice for some applications.

*** BC and Delrin still glide over the strings better then the Primetone imo and last longer, but I still like celluloid's more natural tone even tho they don't last more than a few songs in a set with me, then I hand them out to audience, LOL!

Last edited by noledog; 02-25-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Just a thought,

memmer
Not so much. Your Red and Flame are both casein with different color schemes. They both sound similar, close to identical, to me. I can imagine the addition of the dyes might have some slight chemical reaction/effect, but doubt its much. The 4mm John Pearse sound similar to the 4mm EML with the differences being more bevel and shape related more than anything.

By the way, here is your Flame after I got through with beveling. Held it up to look at it and saw an almost perfect hexagon where the bevels met.

In the case of the Primetones, the difference is pretty stark. Big, big difference in feel and sound. The "grip" models I've tried would be close enough to "harsh" that I wouldn't like to use them.

Last edited by HHP; 02-25-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenman View Post
So I bought a pack of the heaviest triangular Tortex picks, and I love how they sound. But I have a hard time dripping them. They keep turning on me. Admittedly, I have no pick-altering skills. Today I tried to drill a hole in one of them and split it in two. Tried roughing another one up with a nail file and it still turns. Does anyone have a trick that might help? I've been using BCs and Wegens a long time, along with my one forty-year-old tortoise shell pick, but to me this Tortex is the closest to the real thing that I've come across. I'd appreciate any tips.
I drill holes in some of my picks with no problems.
Try the smallest bit you can find and go slow with slight pressure.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Not so much. Your Red and Flame are both casein with different color schemes. They both sound similar, close to identical, to me. I can imagine the addition of the dyes might have some slight chemical reaction/effect, but doubt its much. The 4mm John Pearse sound similar to the 4mm EML with the differences being more bevel and shape related more than anything.

By the way, here is your Flame after I got through with beveling. Held it up to look at it and saw an almost perfect hexagon where the bevels met.

In the case of the Primetones, the difference is pretty stark. Big, big difference in feel and sound. The "grip" models I've tried would be close enough to "harsh" that I wouldn't like to use them.
Cool photo, thanks for posting. That stuff looks amazing with light coming through it.

So, to make sure I understand your point: Tonally, all the JP, EML and CLP casein picks sound pretty close to one another, correct? Some folks have reported that the flame color has a slight more edginess or high frequency response. Just wondered if you noticed that or not.

Thanks. Cool post.

sm
Old 02-25-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Cool photo, thanks for posting. That stuff looks amazing with light coming through it.

So, to make sure I understand your point: Tonally, all the JP, EML and CLP casein picks sound pretty close to one another, correct? Some folks have reported that the flame color has a slight more edginess or high frequency response. Just wondered if you noticed that or not.

Thanks. Cool post.

sm
They are close. I did put more aggressive bevels on the Red and the Flame and that tends to increase treble response so hard to say since can't do a real apples to apples comparison.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I'm reading it, and I appreciate all the responses and find much of this fascinating. I have one tortoise shell pick that someone gave me ages ago. It never slips, and it produces a beautiful, crackling tone that I love, but it's just too thin. I think the Tortex picks come close, but so far I haven't been able to do anything to any of them that will help me hold onto them while playing bluegrass. I'll just keep trying.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 02-26-2018, 12:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenman View Post
I'm reading it, and I appreciate all the responses and find much of this fascinating. I have one tortoise shell pick that someone gave me ages ago. It never slips, and it produces a beautiful, crackling tone that I love, but it's just too thin. I think the Tortex picks come close, but so far I haven't been able to do anything to any of them that will help me hold onto them while playing bluegrass. I'll just keep trying.
Oxy, we all have different playing needs and styles. You didn't mention the thickness of your tortoise or the Tortex, but I'm guessing somewhere below 1.0 mm. .75 mm?

As you play, most Bluegrassers play considerably thicker picks, usually around 1.50 mm and up from there. This would probably also help improve your grip.

Of all the current manmade pick materials, the casein material, which comes in various colors from various vendors, is going to give you the closest experience to genuine TS. I've owned and played TS for more than thirty years, so this comes from experience, not hearsay.

be well,
scott
Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 AM

I haven't experimented with enough colors of casein to be certain (only 4 or 5), but with other materials, I have noticed that the dyes/pigments used to change the color can affect the material's density/hardness, so color MAY change the tone of a plastic to a small extent

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion