The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-08-2018, 06:56 PM

IMG_7471.jpgIMG_7475.jpgIMG_7476.jpgIMG_7481.jpg

Got some copper tubing in the mail this evening and had some time to cut it up and install for side dots. Tomorrow I'll fill the insides with something red. Going to try a few things. Maybe grounding red reconstituted stone, maybe mixing it with metallic flakes, maybe just dyed epoxy since the hole is so small. We'll see how it goes. I just remembered I have baby duty tomorrow while wife works. It'll wait until Saturday.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
What a fun project ... looks great so far!!!

Thanks David. I enjoy looking at your work.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDatlen View Post
I love this body shape!! Really cool man. I’m following along on this one!

Thanks! It started off as literally offsetting the two halves and then I just blended the butt.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
This is gonna be a wicked axe! Very interesting and very pretty too!

Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul! The pleasure is mine!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

You go Anthony...

Will I see you in Harrisburg?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
You go Anthony...

Will I see you in Harrisburg?

Yes sir! Planning on getting this one done for then.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyLattanze View Post
Yes sir! Planning on getting this one done for then.
I look forward to it...
Old 02-08-2018, 10:05 PM

I just love the shape of the headstock and the offset nature of the body. Just incredible.

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:47 AM

I developed a very similar offset shape for a hybrid archtop steel string classical guitar that I made last year. In my case I developed the shape from key dimensions of a classical guitar, so in the lap it feels classical (the dimension from the waist to the nut is the same as a classical guitar), offset to develop body volume yet keep the feel smaller than it's 16" lower bout, fan braced, upper bout "flame" sound holes, the bridge is in the diametric center of the lower bout, 25.6" scale length and 2.1" nut width, neck joint at 12th and 14th fret. A bit of a write up, and some pictures, on my facebook page. I don't know how to post photo's here, sorry.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Brian
Old 02-10-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
I developed a very similar offset shape for a hybrid archtop steel string classical guitar that I made last year. In my case I developed the shape from key dimensions of a classical guitar, so in the lap it feels classical (the dimension from the waist to the nut is the same as a classical guitar), offset to develop body volume yet keep the feel smaller than it's 16" lower bout, fan braced, upper bout "flame" sound holes, the bridge is in the diametric center of the lower bout, 25.6" scale length and 2.1" nut width, neck joint at 12th and 14th fret. A bit of a write up, and some pictures, on my facebook page. I don't know how to post photo's here, sorry.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Brian

Wow Brian! Very similar indeed. What can I say, I guess it's all been done before. Nice looking guitar.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Funny, I had drawn it, made the body mold, and was just getting the sides ready to bend when I randomly discovered the Pagelli guitar web site and their very similar Massari model. http://www.pagelli.com/e-guitars-arc...i-massari.html I had to stop and sit for several days before proceeding because even though I had developed my shape independently I was uncomfortable with the idea of copying someone elses work. Then I decided that nothing was new under the sun, and mine would be different anyway.

Thanks for looking at my work, I appreciate it!

Brian
Old 02-10-2018, 12:55 PM

IMG_7485.jpgIMG_7488.jpgIMG_7489.jpgIMG_7490.jpgIMG_7491.jpg

The first attempt at filling the copper dots failed. I used an aluminum powder in the dyed epoxy to try and give it a metallic look. With the dot being so small, and the aluminum not taking the red, the metallic flakes just ended up looking like dust. Since there was some damage to the binding around one of the copper dots that I would've touched up, I decided to just redo the binding and try again.
This time I cut the copper into roughly 1" sections, dyed the epoxy sans aluminum flakes, and worked it into one end of the tube until I saw it come out the other end. Now when I go to install the copper and red in one shot, it will hold shape better and shouldn't do any damage to the binding as long as it is installed straight. Until next time.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Offset rock-a-billy archtop by Anthony Lattanze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
Funny, I had drawn it, made the body mold, and was just getting the sides ready to bend when I randomly discovered the Pagelli guitar web site and their very similar Massari model. http://www.pagelli.com/e-guitars-arc...i-massari.html I had to stop and sit for several days before proceeding because even though I had developed my shape independently I was uncomfortable with the idea of copying someone elses work. Then I decided that nothing was new under the sun, and mine would be different anyway.

Thanks for looking at my work, I appreciate it!

Brian

Thanks Brian, I had seen that pagelli long ago as well. His aesthetic is beautiful and dareing. I don't know about you but my sensibilities tend to lye a little more reigned in. Maybe that's how we both landed on the similar shape, though you arrived there first. I like to give credit where credit is due but I wouldn't feel uncomfortable building anything that someone else has done already. There's only so many ways we can build these things and remain desirable. I'm glad you went ahead and built it. Looks nice.

Last edited by AnthonyLattanze; 02-11-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 PM

IMG_7515.jpgIMG_5803.jpg

The side dots were finished today.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:38 PM

IMG_7557.jpgIMG_7560.jpgIMG_7584.jpgIMG_7657.jpgIMG_7658.jpg

Some updated pictures. After installing the carbon fiber, trussrod, and fingerboard, I began shaping the neck. For a C shape neck, I used the CNC as a pin router and used one of Bills many fixtures to get the basic shape and blended the rest by hand. The mini volute is something Bill has been using and I like it. I shaped it by hand to not disrupt when playing those f7 chords. It also defines the end of the headstock and start of the barrel in a subtle way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop