The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 06:38 PM

Don’t you need a band behind you to play electric? An acoustic is a one man band.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:44 PM

Default electrified

Never played an electric, never wanted to, never even liked the sound very much. Plenty of electric players to admire, though. But the electric sound never rang my bell. Some of it is awful and doesn't even sound musical. Most does sound musical of course, but just isn't my cuppa tea.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave JH View Post
Don’t you need a band behind you to play electric? An acoustic is a one man band.
That seems to work much the way it would with an acoustic. I was an acoustic player who got into electrics in middle age. I love them both.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:14 PM

I lived in a designated "quiet dorm" during college, where you couldn't play any music after 10:00. I beat the system by purchasing a used Fender Musicmaster for $10, and would play it with my door closed during quiet time. No amp, of course. Ever since then, playing an electric guitar seems like I'm trying to get away with something sneaky.

Never bothered to change the strings on the Musicmaster, and sold it for $10 at the end of the school year. The following year I moved to a dorm where I could play my Guild D-25 whenever a wanted.

Haven't looked back.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znerken View Post
What's the reason you stayed on acoustic?

I feel that buying an electric would steal precious time from my fingerstyle practicing, so I try so stay away. However, I want often want one.
Yes. After a Strat, Tele, Rick 360-12 (jetglo) and the sparking stuff to properly voice them I concluded that gear does not the guitarist make. Actually, the Rick was to get The Byrds outa my system so that was a basic need in Maslow's world of guitardom.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 PM

I played in electric bands from 1964 to 1969 and then an acoustic duo for a short while. I then only had an acoustic for about 40 years which I only played occasionally.
When I retired a few years ago, I bought a couple of electric guitars, a bass and an amp which allows me to gig with others producing a certain type of music.
I still play my acoustic just as much both flatpick and finger style. I like the versatility of playing different types of music with different people. I find they augment each other.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
I have both acoustic and electric guitars, and spend about an equal amount of time with each.
Same here.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:18 PM

I just realized I haven’t played any of my electrics in nearly a year.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

As much as I enjoy listening to electric guitars, I’ve never really had much of a desire to play them, and I don’t think I’ve ever seriously considered buying one for myself.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Electric playing has been somewhat dormant for me for the past 10 years, though it was my passion for 15 years prior. I still love electric and wish I had more time to play. My time is so limited with kids and work, I don’t have time to do both. If you’re finding a lot of time for music, an electric guitar would be incredibly rewarding. If you’re squeezed for time, it might just become a distraction.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I just realized I haven’t played any of my electrics in nearly a year.
That was me as well. I had a Les Paul Trad Pro and a Deluxe Reverb amp. They mostly sat unused, so I sold both to someone that would use them.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:21 PM

After returning to the states I got bitten by the electric bug... But one day I stumbled onto that elusive Martin that I'd always wanted and it was all over. Yeah, even though I have a bunch of Strats , two LP's a Tele and Dot it's rare that I play electric. I had no idea I was an acoustic guy until I was.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-09-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
That was me as well. I had a Les Paul Trad Pro and a Deluxe Reverb amp. They mostly sat unused, so I sold both to someone that would use them.

I was primarily an electric player then got the acoustic and played them quite evenly. I think the wider nut spacing and flatter fretboard won me over besides of the easiness of just picking it up and playing.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:12 AM

Default I'm surprised...

...that so many here mention the Telecaster. Why would that be the acoustic guitarists' favorite electric? Maybe it's their common association with flattops in country music? Or the traditionalism that says, "If I'm gonna try the newfangled instrument, I want the oldest one I can get." Certainly it's not the similarities in playing one. The Fender guitars I've seen have such a long, skinny neck with a tight fretboard radius. Like holding a tree branch instead of a plank. It's as different as a neck could be from a traditional Martin neck, isn't it?

My first guitars were Gibsons, a Melody Maker and an LG-O. Both had short scale and medium-wide necks that resembled one another. And it's the same now with my Godin guitars- the acoustic Fifth Avenue, the Kingpin with its P-90, and my Icon II Convertible have essentially the same neck dimensions and feel. So did my Seagull Mini Jumbo, now passed down to my daughter. Four different guitars with entirely different sounds, but I can switch between them with almost left-hand adjustments.

So I'd think an acoustic guitarist might seek out an electric with a matching neck, yes?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 02-09-2018, 04:49 PM

No 100% acoustic now the electrics safely stored away for the grandchildren ( hope they like Burns Marvins )
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion