The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Becker View Post
Thanks.
I'd answer that question with yes and no. The AJ is very lightly built and a very responsive guitar, I was really shocked when I first played it in the store.
I was actually shopping for a much cheaper guitar, but the store was really empty so I decided to go into the "nice room". Made the mistake of playing the AJ you see on the picture. Struck the first chord and was like WOW,so thats why they cost that much. Still have that feeling everytime I play her.

With electrics, I can't speak of Fender, I only own a Squier Classic Vibe Tele (which is still a very nice guitar), but with the Gibsons I hear a definite difference between the LP Custom and the LP Studio. They both have the same pickups (490R /498T) and the same electronics (linear 300k volume, audio taper 500k tone).

What everyone who has played or heard my custom immediately notices is how clear it sounds even under high gain. It has incredible string separation, response and is very tight sounding with lots of attack. It also has sustain for days.

Mind you, the Studio (and the Traditional as well) is still an incredible guitar and its going nowhere but the Custom is just one level or two above it.
Is it four times better than a Studio ? No. But I always wanted a sunburst Custom

I really hope the quality of the electrics of fender, Gibson and martins are better than their acoustics. I really think the qualify of those guitars are a lie. I have played many Martins and Gibsons, and I owned a sj-200, and it couldn't even compare to my other guitars. Not even a Furch D25. Don't shoot me, and don't hate me, but I think why many people like those brands is because they are from the USA.

Edit; you find golds among those brands as well, that's true.

Last edited by Znerken; 08-05-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:37 AM

Gibson has their problems, there is no denying that.
But if you get the right one, it is truly a thing of beauty.

I played a J-15 the same day I bought my AJ, and it was a great guitar as well, especially considering the price.

It probably depends on the store as well, if you have a good store, they won't put guitars on display that aren't in good condition and they will take proper care of them (humidification etc.)

I feel that has a huge impact on customers impression of a brand, if you play a guitar at a store that has them nicely set up and cared for, your impression of that brand will be totally different compared to playing one with dead strings and mile high action.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 AM

My best friend passed away from a second round of cancer. I'm helping his family sell his guitar collection. All that's left now is a pristine mint condition Taylor Builder's Reserve series 3 guitar and amp combo, a Guild Doyle Dykes 12 string, and a 1989 Fender Fullerton reissue '57 Strat in a rare orangish red color. My friend maintained his guitars in mint condition. The Strat is talking to me in a big way. It has so little use the 3 way switch is still extremely tight to slide. It would be the first electric I would have in 40 years. Still hoping to win a lottery before somebody up and buys it. Collectors salivate for the Fullertons.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Becker View Post
Gibson has their problems, there is no denying that.
But if you get the right one, it is truly a thing of beauty.

I played a J-15 the same day I bought my AJ, and it was a great guitar as well, especially considering the price.

It probably depends on the store as well, if you have a good store, they won't put guitars on display that aren't in good condition and they will take proper care of them (humidification etc.)

I feel that has a huge impact on customers impression of a brand, if you play a guitar at a store that has them nicely set up and cared for, your impression of that brand will be totally different compared to playing one with dead strings and mile high action.
That's a valid point!

However, I find that the actual build quality often is not good enough on those brands. I don't know if that's a large fabric syndrome. However, I have seen a Åstrand guitar, and even played it. Nothing compares. Ted really know quality.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Daria makes a good point for a Les Paul...

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-07-2018, 01:22 PM

I did own one, briefly, in college but it just didn’t fit with the kind of music I wanted to play. I enjoy listening to good electricians but it’s not where I want to spend my energy.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 02-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I have gotten the itch for an electric many times over the years, and have subsequently bought electrics, then turned around and sold them because I never played them. However, the last one I bought (Butterscotch Blonde black guard Tele) I vowed to keep no matter what, just to stop the craziness of getting a new one every time I got the urge. So far, it's worked perfectly!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Not now.

I bought a Japanese Fender Tele once - kept it about two months sold it back.

Got interested in western swing/rockabilly - Bought Peavey Rockingham - kinda like a Gretsch - fine guitar -wasn't me.

Decided to get into jazz rhythm guitar, bought an Eastman AR805-e (with a floating pick -up -outstanding guitar -but decided i would prefer an acoustic version. traded it ....miss it.

Anyone got an AR805 (no cut) in sunburst?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Znerken asked:

"If you are a "acoustic only guy" like me, do you often lust on buying an electric?"

You know, I get the occasional twinge to buy one, but it's rare. The reason is that I've owned a few over the years, and the electric guitar is just not my instrument. When I want different tones and textures I reach for another acoustic instrument like mandolin or mountain dulcimer, not an electric guitar.

I did trade for a Rickenbacker electric 12 string a few years ago, so I have that, but that was mainly to trade off an offbeat acoustic guitar I didn't like much. As for the Rickenbacker, I don't do much with it at all.

whm
Old 02-07-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Anyone got an AR805 (no cut) in sunburst?
he has one:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...944226-74-7964
Old 02-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Electric

Every once in a while I get the urge to cross over to the dark side.

Then I think about past forays and I get over it.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 02-07-2018, 04:35 PM

I cut my teeth on electric guitar before buying an acoustic soon after.

Love my Fender Telecaster, Stratocaster and Samick semi Royale just as much as I love my Martin.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:54 PM

Sometimes I am missing my Jackson King V USA in a gorgeous custom green color.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:21 PM

Nope. Been there, done that. Got a Tele around here somewhere. And a Strat. Haven't plugged them in in years.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:24 PM

‘Going electric’, if you’re careful about it unlike Bob Dylan in the early days and learn to fine tune, includes the land of ‘Fender Clean’ which is easily had with a traditional blackface amp with Telecaster straight no effects - provides detailed string and note articulation for fingerpicking if you are comfortable with narrow string spacing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion