The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-15-2000, 08:13 PM
jaeckstein

Post Pickup for Taylor 555

I recently purchased a used 555. It is a wonderful guitar. I already have had a 512 since 1992, which came with the then standard Fishman under saddle piezo pickup build in. I would like to have the capacity
to play the new guitar, which has no pickup, plugged in. Mostly I have put the 512 through a Baggs para acoustic DI into whatever PA is around. I am not really in love with the sound, and wonder what would be better without a huge cost. The local music store reccomended the Baggs ribbon rather than Fishman. What have others here used, particularly with a 12 string.
By the way, I really like the idea of this Forum...
John

Old 09-20-2000, 12:32 AM

I have a B-band undersaddle pickup and mic in my Leo Kottke 12 string and it sounds great. I even installed it myself ... beginner's luck! With a stereo cord, you can go to a pocket blender or equivalent, a two channel amp, or two channels in a PA and mix the pickup and mic to get the exact tone you want.
Old 09-20-2000, 11:12 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking

Hey! This would work great with the RANE AP-13 preamp, as it has two separate channels - one for mic and one for piezo.

J.R.
Old 09-20-2000, 11:03 PM

I have a Raven PMB-1 on the way. This is apparently a hot new preamp from the designer of the California Blonde (I think). Lawrence Juber and Martin Simpson are among it's endorsers. I'll post a review when I get it.

John
Old 09-21-2000, 12:40 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Great! Please do. I've heard good things about Raven Labs products, but I've never used them personally. Do you know their website URL?

J.R.
Old 09-22-2000, 09:22 AM

It's www.Raven-Labs.com. That dash throws a monkey wrench into the works. I should receive mine in the next day or two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification