The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-12-2008, 01:32 PM

Default Difference

Between a Fender Strat and a Tele?
Looking to get into the electric scene, and was wondering about the differences between the two. Thanks!

5 Love Languages?
Mines Music.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:27 PM

Besides the obvious - shape and number of pickups - here are the main differences:

Tele - more plinky, better country tones, better squawk. Hard tail, and sits on the body keeping the upper frets in a better position (for some).

Strat - more versatile, a little smoother sounding than the tele, has a whammy bar / bridge, and balances better on the body (no neck dive).

Both of these guitars do a great clean. But, depending on the type of music you like, you may prefer one over the other. Also, some like the looks of one more than the other.

But, either way, you can't really go wrong.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 PM

and of course, there are plenty of other brands that use those body shapes, but mix up the other features.

The best thing to do is try as many electrics as possible. If you need a starting point, try whatever your favorite artist uses. Piped mentioned clean sounds, but don't over look effects and amps... especially amps, since that will contribute as much to the sound as the guitar itself.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 11-13-2008, 04:27 AM

Get a Webster Dictionary and look up 'electric guitar' and see the picture beside the defintion. This doesn't explain the difference between the two, but it defines what I call the true 'electric guitar'.

vtg
Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM

Instead of Webster's Dictionary, I have the American Oxford Dictionary and the American Heritage Dictionary so I can't see the illustration you like. That you would bring up that illustration in a thread where the opening post asks the difference between a Telecaster and a Stratocaster makes me if your definition of a true electric guitar is more restrictive than what most of us regard as an electric guitar.

Be that as it may, what are the differences between an SG and a Les Paul, irrespective of visual ones? Is there more difference in tone between a Telecaster and a Stratocaster than an SG and a Les Paul? Since the Strat has more pickups than a Telecaster, it is more versatile, can it be said that one of the mentioned Gibsons is more versatile than the other given that they share the same number of pickups? Surely, there is more to versatility than pickup complement.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 11-13-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Cocobologist

The SG and Les Paul are two completely different guitars tonally and, IMHO, it has to do with the Maple cap on the body of the LP. It provides a crispness, a "Snap", to the tone that the all Mahogany SG doesn't offer.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM

thanks for the responses. someone was saying that "don't over look effects and amps... especially amps, since that will contribute as much to the sound as the guitar itself." would it be better to invest in a better amp than pedals... or the other way around? trying to be smart about the money i invest in the electric scene.

5 Love Languages?
Mines Music.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedwho View Post
Besides the obvious - shape and number of pickups - here are the main differences:

Tele - more plinky, better country tones, better squawk. Hard tail, and sits on the body keeping the upper frets in a better position (for some).

Strat - more versatile, a little smoother sounding than the tele, has a whammy bar / bridge, and balances better on the body (no neck dive).

Both of these guitars do a great clean. But, depending on the type of music you like, you may prefer one over the other. Also, some like the looks of one more than the other.

But, either way, you can't really go wrong.
Some agreement and disagreement here. I have both. The Strat would get some versatility points for having the tremolo bridge (whammy bar) and the 2 and 4 position quack tone but the Telecaster has warmer neck position tone so my Tele can do warm jazz and blues tone my Strat cannot make.

The amp makes more difference than you might think when it comes to an electric.

I suggest trying all sorts and trying them with the same amp and amp settings. Most stores will have a Hot Rod Deluxe amp if you want to keep that in mind for consistent testing of guitars. For you own amp consider an inexpensive battery powered practice amp that takes headphones and a music player and amps like a Princeton where you can play at bedroom volumes as well as band volumes.

You might need to go to music stores to try all the stuff and know what you want, but look at your area craigslist and used inventory because I see lots of great stuff as bargains right now.

Have fun.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 PM

I think the amp is actually more important than the guitar (up to a point) and, though I'd rather own a the Blues Deluxe, I agree that the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is a good amp to use as a standard for assessing various guitars.

Since I believe that the real thing is always better than a simulation thereof, I not a fan of pedals whose function is to emulate.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:16 PM

that was me who mentioned the amp. I agree with Herb, the real thing is always better than a simulation. If I had to start from scratch with my equipment, my buying order would be:
1. good tube amp
2. intermediate electric guitar
3. good individual pedals.

unfortunately, the first time around, I did it all wrong. I bought a good guitar (still have that), then a cheap amp and cheap multi-pedal. After trying to sell off the cheap stuff (and not getting much for it), I probably could have saved myself a few hundred dollars by going in the order above.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I think the amp is actually more important than the guitar (up to a point) and, though I'd rather own a the Blues Deluxe, I agree that the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is a good amp to use as a standard for assessing various guitars.

Since I believe that the real thing is always better than a simulation thereof, I not a fan of pedals whose function is to emulate.
What I meant or was thinking of is the high chance of any store having the Hot Rod Deluxe and/or a Blues Junior. I like 6_6 tube tone more than EL-84 which is why I mentioned the Deluxe and same for used shops and departments always having them.

It would be sweet if each place one was testing guitars at had a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb, but oh well he he he....
Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyee View Post
that was me who mentioned the amp. I agree with Herb, the real thing is always better than a simulation. If I had to start from scratch with my equipment, my buying order would be:
1. good tube amp
2. intermediate electric guitar
3. good individual pedals.

unfortunately, the first time around, I did it all wrong. I bought a good guitar (still have that), then a cheap amp and cheap multi-pedal. After trying to sell off the cheap stuff (and not getting much for it), I probably could have saved myself a few hundred dollars by going in the order above.
+1 to that. My Micro Cube as first amp was smart. My Frontman, G-DEC, Blues Jr., and HRD were all throwing money in the toilet compared to my black faced amps and I'd suggest a Princeton Reverb as one that can do home volumes and also play loud - that and the Princeton just sounds SO nice whether old or a PRRI.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
What I meant or was thinking of is the high chance of any store having the Hot Rod Deluxe and/or a Blues Junior. I like 6_6 tube tone more than EL-84 which is why I mentioned the Deluxe and same for used shops and departments always having them.

It would be sweet if each place one was testing guitars at had a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb, but oh well he he he....
I thought your other post made it clear that the Hot Rod was a good choice since most stores stock it and it would thus likely be a constant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification