The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Cool Cables for Acoustic Guitar Recommendations

Just curious what others are using by way of cables for your acoustic rigs. I'm currently using my trusty ole' Planet Waves cable that I've had for several years. It's developing a short and I'm gonna repair it and also buy another cable or two as backup. Is there any need in buying 'acoustic cables' like the Monster acoustic cable; or should I just stay with the less expensive stuff.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

vtg
Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM

If you're handy with a soldering iron, rolling your own is is quite beneficial.

I buy my supplies from redco.com and roll my own typically. I find I can get the best of quality for the lowest price by cutting out the middle man. Gotham cable is amazing, as is Redco's own stuff.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't even mess around with Monster. I know some folks are going to get all up in arms about this, but Monster is not what it is cracked up to be...particularly for their prices. Just MY thoughts on it....

Good luck in your cable search!

[dt]
..:: http://liontamersblues.tumblr.com/ ::..
Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageToneGuy View Post
Just curious what others are using by way of cables for your acoustic rigs. I'm currently using my trusty ole' Planet Waves cable that I've had for several years. It's developing a short and I'm gonna repair it and also buy another cable or two as backup. Is there any need in buying 'acoustic cables' like the Monster acoustic cable; or should I just stay with the less expensive stuff.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

vtg
I don't see a need for a boutique cable ... not sonically, anyway. Some cables stand up longer to mechanical breakage issues, though, so going with a branded cable of known quality makes sense. I make sure I always have a NEW backup cable in my gig kit. (I never did understand those who use old stuff for backup ... kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?)
Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I don't see a need for a boutique cable ... not sonically, anyway. Some cables stand up longer to mechanical breakage issues, though, so going with a branded cable of known quality makes sense...
+1 ... I do just fine with a standard guitar store cable.

mud

"Do ya want it to be interesting, or do ya want it to be true?"

"So far, it's neither."
Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 PM

Quantum oxygen free cable for my '02 514ce with the Baggs Element Onboard and a standard Taylor ES Cble for my 414ce. I also have a Kordex stereo cable but don't use it much. It's a top quality cable but I just don't have need for it anymore.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM

A good, low capacitance cable is a very good thing IMHO... It can make an impact on harmonic content in the upper registers, that really give things a feeling of natural "air". YMMV....
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 PM

yeah DIY is the way to go...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 PM

I haven't tried the "Acoustic" Monster cables and such... but I do have one Monster cable of sorts, and a Road Hogs cable by Rapco that is actually quite a nice cable. I am mostly playing at my church right now which is horrible for radio noise and such - built near lots of radio and cell towers, a few corners cut in the installation of the sound system as well I imagine. I have found that some of my standard cables that worked perfectly well all over the US started picking up noise and radio stations once I plugged in at my church. So, step one: I went and bought some better shielded cables. I still use my standard cables at home with no problems. So, all of that to say, for most venues I think just a good quality cable will do, but for some venues you may need to shell out for better shielding and such.

It is funny though, that we spend so much care and money getting just the right guitar, pickups, pedals, amps... and if we have one bad or cheap cable, it can mess with the whole sound - or attract a whole lot of radio stations and noise

I am curious as to how much difference the "acoustic cable" by Monster actually makes in the tone though.

Primary acoustic gear:
Guild JF30 with Fishman Matrix Infinity
Takamine Santa Fe
Yamaha AG Stomp
LR Baggs PADI
Kyser capo and cut capo (much fun!)
Boss CE-5

www.wide-eyedworship.com

Last edited by southpaw pete; 11-11-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM

i make my own, usually i buy from www.effectsconnection.com. prior to that, i bought from butch at www.bayoucables.com... he makes good cables from quality stuff.

A lot of people like George L's make your own solderless cables. it's easy, but i've seen too many of them go bad... it's easy to fix (recut the end, and put the connector back on), but that's a pain to do repeatedly. soldered cables just last longer.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM

VTG, you might consider Lava Cable (www.lavacable.com). They have a lot of variety and quality cable. Not saying whether one is better than another but it is still informative to check out th FAQ there. I did buy some George L there and have been pleased.

Ken
Old 11-14-2008, 06:33 AM

Standard monster cables are a good staple. The new ones are thicker, coil better and feel sturdier than the old ones, which I have always used. i recently A/B'd a bunch of cables and for my T5 chose a Monster Jazz cable. If you just sit and A/B each cable with the same guitar/amp settings you will see subtle differences in tone. However, in a practical world when you are not sitting and doing the comparison, it is just what sounds right to you. Premier Guitar has done really good comparisons as well as Guitar Player magazine. You can get them online. Right now though, I have gone to LAVA cables and had them custom make a LAVA cable with a Neutrik silent plug on the guitar end that allows me to switch guitars noiselessly. A very good cable and excellent product. You can find them at lavacable.com
Great folks with excellent customer service.
davidc
Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Eric Skye

I use a Mogami mic cable for my gigs. When I was using pickups I liked George L's... But I'm not entirely convinced there's much difference. There's the famous Monster Cable vs coat hangers test... http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coa...monster-cables
Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
There's the famous Monster Cable vs coat hangers test... http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coa...monster-cables
I think that test actually might show that large gauge wire is a good for the quality of sound. I think coat hangers might be a little harder to use than Monster cables.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250
Old 11-14-2008, 09:07 AM

Ive been using my George L for a long time w/ no problems. frank
Old 11-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Hi vtg...
For mono I've been using GeorgeL cables for several years, and they are great. We buy the cable bulk and build our own.

There is no solder involved (they are assembled with a screwdriver) and they are the quietest cables I've ever owned, and have the strongest signal pass-through of any I've heard or used...wish they built a TRS version.

For stereo cables (TRS) I've had some Whirlwind cables for years and they are well built and quiet and reliable.

The Geo. L are extremely thin and light. I can roll up a 15 foot long cable and stick two of them in the pick drawer of the case and they don't even take up 15% of the space in there. They are really small, and quiet. Best mono cables I've ever used.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification