The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Warm/hot water- lightly dampened - clean, soft, 100% thick cotton to clean the grime. Not the thin 2018 tshirt variety. Followed by a couple of clean, thick, soft cotton rubs to make it shine. If you get the dreaded arm pit against soft laquer ring then Naptha and a soft cloth. Luckily I don't mind finger tip smudges as long as the music is favorable. Many pro's do not keep up with the smudge removal. Many young pros play guitar for 4 to 10 hours a day. That's a lot of handling.

Enjoy your Ambertone that's a pretty amazing guitar to take care of.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:38 PM

I use Ronsonol lighter fluid. It cuts through grease or smudges and won't harm the finish on your guitar. I've used it on all my guitars, polyurethane, nitro, polyester, whatever UV cured finish Taylor uses and it works just great. It smells for just a few seconds, but evaporates and the smell goes away. Doesn't leave a residue on the guitar. I think this stuff is naptha, but I'm not sure. I just stick with the brand name I know and never have a problem. One bottle of this stuff lasts a couple years. Coincidentally I have a new bottle of it coming today.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 PM

The best thing I’ve found is a microfiber cloth -spritzed with just a few drops of water. Costco sells a huge bundle of nice thick ones in the auto/garage supply area. They’re sold as car polishing cloths, but are great for dusting, wood floor cleaning, glass, etc.
Martin SPD-16R (2000)
Wechter Traditional Custom (2003)
Yamaha LL16 (2000)
Yamaha FG 460 S-12 (1986)

www.youtube.com/mmcs1222

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion