The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 09:59 AM

Default Martin "Reimagined" vs Last year model

I'm thinking of investing in a Martin D28. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the new re-imagined changes vs the last model. I'm a long time Taylor user, with periods of using Martins. In the running is also a Taylor 710e, but I'm not a fan of the Taylor electronics. It sounds the the Lutz Spruce top is giving the Taylor a little bit more low end which they are known to not have. Anyway, thoughts?
Old 02-25-2018, 10:08 AM

If you're a Taylor fan, you'll probably like the new style Martins.

As for me, I sure won't be buying any. I don't care for 1 3/4" nuts and I'm definitely not a fan of the modern neck shape.

FWIW, I think Taylor acoustics fitted with a K&K Pure Mini pickup sound far superior to any with the factory pickup systems.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 AM

I am kind of the opposite of 6L6 but it's all subjective. I got a chance to try some of the new 2018 models (D28, 00-28 & M-36). The unfortunate part is the strings that Martin relies on with all of their guitars. They really need to switch to elixir to give the player a fair representation. I always pick up Matin guitars and the strings are dead.. just a small rant!

As for the guitars, I love the new neck and the 1-3/4" nut width. To me they feel a lot easier to play and closer to Taylor, which IMO have some of the best necks out there. I think the new bracing on these models makes for a far more resonant tone. There is an added brightness that I need to get used to but overall, I think they are an improvement. I actually really dug the M-36. However, I am trying to wrap my head around the decision by Martin to include an extremely white binding along the neck. It looks terrible.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:41 AM

Martin has already made the best guitars they will ever make, in my opinion. They offered a wide range of guitars in different sizes and neck shapes with the onboard Fishman Aura preamp. Both the old barn door style and the newer F1+ were amazing electronics packages that really offered excellent acoustic tone plugged in. And they were great guitars to boot. Those particular Martins were reimagined as well. So when your standard series ranges from the D 18 to the D 45, and those models have served the guitar playing public for more than a century, why would you need to reimagine them? Just introduce a new series, or a variation on the theme. Whatever… It’s not my company, and they have been making guitars for a long time. I am just really glad to have the ones I own.
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 02-25-2018, 11:57 AM

The only way for you to know how you will, or won't, like them is to play them and A/B several to see which you prefer. I've played the new ones and the only thing I can say is that they sound great.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bartus View Post
Martin has already made the best guitars they will ever make, in my opinion. They offered a wide range of guitars in different sizes and neck shapes with the onboard Fishman Aura preamp. Both the old barn door style and the newer F1+ were amazing electronics packages that really offered excellent acoustic tone plugged in. And they were great guitars to boot. Those particular Martins were reimagined as well. So when your standard series ranges from the D 18 to the D 45, and those models have served the guitar playing public for more than a century, why would you need to reimagine them? Just introduce a new series, or a variation on the theme. Whatever… It’s not my company, and they have been making guitars for a long time. I am just really glad to have the ones I own.
Here's my thinking, things change and improvements often need to be made. The majority of players have spoken and they want the performance style neck and the 1-3/4" nut width. I think too that a lot of players these days want guitars that resonate more with not as much effort. This is most likely a trend as most things are in the music world but Martin has acknowledged them and done something about it. It doesn't really make sense to introduce a new series when this is what the public has asked for. I also think that companies like Martin that are so attached to their history, need to make changes or they become a bit boring.

The other side of it is that pickup technology changes frequently. No one wants those barn door style preamps anymore. They had their time but they are fairly ugly. I am actually surprised that it is taking companies so long to acknowledge this. Yes Martin and Taylor have streamlined their pickups to a few external knobs or even internal controls (Aura Enhance). However, they all still put the battery in the endpin jack which is ugly. I am sure there are ways around this.

For me though, the improvements are enough to make me want a Martin again. What I really love though is that unlike Taylor, Martin have discontinued higher end models and have included many of the features in the new standard series. The OM-28 for example has a lot of the features that the OM-28V had but at a much better price. I no longer feel as though I have to go custom shop to get an excellent guitar.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:22 PM

For me it's a mixed bag:

Scalloped Bracing, wider neck, newer profile neck are all big pluses.

Open Gear tuners are a minus (but replaceable)

The yellow aging toner is hideous.

If I were to order one I would either pony up extra for the Amberburst or custom order one without the toner.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bartus View Post
So when your standard series ranges from the D 18 to the D 45, and those models have served the guitar playing public for more than a century, why would you need to reimagine them? Just introduce a new series, or a variation on the theme. Whatever… It’s not my company, and they have been making guitars for a long time. I am just really glad to have the ones I own.
Martin's done both, and has apparently decided that there were too many "series and themes". The GE's are all gone and just a couple of Vintage Series guitars left, for now. And as far as changing without renaming, they have a long history of that too. An original 12 fret D-28 and later 14 fret D-28 both have only "D-28" and a serial number on the neck block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I actually really dug the M-36. However, I am trying to wrap my head around the decision by Martin to include an extremely white binding along the neck. It looks terrible.
Are you sure you were looking at a 2018? The M-36 has always had white Boltaron binding, which most would describe as "extremely white". The 2018 models get Antique white binding on body an neck.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am kind of the opposite of 6L6 but it's all subjective. I got a chance to try some of the new 2018 models (D28, 00-28 & M-36). The unfortunate part is the strings that Martin relies on with all of their guitars. They really need to switch to elixir to give the player a fair representation. I always pick up Matin guitars and the strings are dead.. just a small rant!
Well, I agree that Martin strings aren't necessarily the best. But they are good middle-of-the-road strings, particularly for Martins. But I'm going to disagree with you about Elixirs. I've tried them on every guitar I've ever owned and the only one where they work well is my 2011 Taylor 614 after 200+hours of Tonerite treatment. My D35 sounds 100 times better with DR Sunbeams than with any Martin strings but when I put Elixirs on that guitar I took them off in less than a week.

As far as the OP's questions, it's one of those "have to try" situations. And even then you have to select the specific guitar as they will sound different from unit to unit.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-25-2018, 03:38 PM

I do like Elixirs. I've used .12 Polyweb for years and years. The Martin's that I've had do not sound good with Elixirs IMO. However, they sound good with Martins .13 but that's pretty hard on my hands, and I don't care for the flat sound. I'm thinking the new neck will be more comfortable to me being a Taylor player (Taylor DN3)
Old 02-25-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Well, I agree that Martin strings aren't necessarily the best. But they are good middle-of-the-road strings, particularly for Martins. But I'm going to disagree with you about Elixirs. I've tried them on every guitar I've ever owned and the only one where they work well is my 2011 Taylor 614 after 200+hours of Tonerite treatment. My D35 sounds 100 times better with DR Sunbeams than with any Martin strings but when I put Elixirs on that guitar I took them off in less than a week.

As far as the OP's questions, it's one of those "have to try" situations. And even then you have to select the specific guitar as they will sound different from unit to unit.
It's not the tone of the Martin strings that I dislike, it's the fact that they go bad very quickly and many stores just fail to replace them. At least when you pick up a Taylor, the strings feel and sound new. I can't tell you how many times I have picked up a Martin only to find that the strings were so dead that the guitar sounded terrible.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Martin's done both, and has apparently decided that there were too many "series and themes". The GE's are all gone and just a couple of Vintage Series guitars left, for now. And as far as changing without renaming, they have a long history of that too. An original 12 fret D-28 and later 14 fret D-28 both have only "D-28" and a serial number on the neck block.

Are you sure you were looking at a 2018? The M-36 has always had white Boltaron binding, which most would describe as "extremely white". The 2018 models get Antique white binding on body an neck.
Very well could have been. The tag indicated 2018 though. I could have sworn it had the performance neck as well. To be honest though, I picked that one up last and only played it for a few minutes so maybe it just had an incorrect label.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:59 PM

My eye is on the Ambertone. I guess I'd rather let a blonde age naturally.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Martin's done both, and has apparently decided that there were too many "series and themes".
Chris Martin did a video at NAMM last month, saying exactly this. He said their dealers were complaining. Too many products, couldn’t afford to stock all of them, too much buyer confusion, Martin business was eroding to other brands ... and so on. He said the “reimagine” was a deliberate response to the market.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 PM

What specs changed with this "reimagined" change ?

( The word makes me think of Disneyland, since they call the people who come up with new rides " imagineers " > )
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin d-28, new martin, taylor 710