The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Default Help With Fender Neck Profiles?

To all:

I'm hoping that someone here can provide some definitive information for me. In particular, which version / model of the Fender Strat would have the most "slim" neck profile?

Fender has made a variety of special models, specific ones related to certain years that we offered, artist models, anniversary one, custom shop ones, - you name it! But, those guitars never seem to have the same neck shape twice. They are all very unique--- which is way cool. But, here's my deal:

I want to buy a Strat, but I'm looking to get one with a nice slim, fast neck. I don't want a "Vee" neck (but I know a lot of people find then very playable). Also, I want a fretboard with a considerable radius to it (maybe like 9") or so?

Can anyone tell me which model I should be looking for? Thanks in advance.

Bill

From the above mentioned ramblings, can anyone recall a Fender (currently available) that would "fit the bill"?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:54 PM

Calling all Fender experts.... :-)
Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 PM

My Am. Dlx. Ash has a slim or thin neck compared to my Tele's C shape, and the med. jumbo frets vs. jumbo as well as same radius.

The Thin Skins have a vintage style build with the modern radius and 6105 frets, but most are described as Big C neck.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
My Am. Dlx. Ash has a slim or thin neck compared to my Tele's C shape, and the med. jumbo frets vs. jumbo as well as same radius.

The Thin Skins have a vintage style build with the modern radius and 6105 frets, but most are described as Big C neck.

Thanks - that's a good place to start from.... Folks - I do need more information, please!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post

Thanks - that's a good place to start from.... Folks - I do need more information, please!
strat-talk.com & tdpri.com, Dave's where there is expertise and sales of modern, vintage, special runs and used???

I have read Stratocasters are the biggest sellers of all time a number of times, libraries have books on them, there's a lot of info out there. I've checked out 2 nice Strat books from the library system.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure about Fender, but Warmoth has got some diagrams on their site showing neck shape,profile, fretboard radius, etc. Of course they also make compound radius necks and have diagrams showing how these are made.
Check their neck anatomy page here

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm

Specific neck diagrams here:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...=back_profiles

Warmoth is licensed by Fender and some of the Fender Custom shop guitars actually come with Warmoth necks.

Enjoy! Just hide your' wallet before you spend much time at the Warmoth site.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 PM
.tom the übergeek

Fender has two basic neck shapes on the majority of their American stuff. All are 9" radius fingerboard (unless you go vintage series which is 7.25" radius). The "modern C" and the V are the two shapes. Basically, unless specifically called out by the V in the name (like American Deluxe Stratocaster® “V” Neck), you will be getting that C shape.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the good info... That helps quite a bit~

Tp
Old 11-17-2008, 12:55 PM

I have several American strats, and one Mexican Deluxe Player. The only one with what I would consider a "clubby" neck is the Mexican. My '87 American Standard, and my '83 standard, both have a slim, "C" profile, while my Clapton strat has the modified "V." They are all comfortable to play, and if you are coming from a Taylor neck, a Fender should feel familiar to you from the get-go. Good luck in your hunt.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen View Post
Fender has two basic neck shapes on the majority of their American stuff. All are 9" radius fingerboard (unless you go vintage series which is 7.25" radius). The "modern C" and the V are the two shapes. Basically, unless specifically called out by the V in the name (like American Deluxe Stratocaster® “V” Neck), you will be getting that C shape.
I think there are variations within. My Am. Dlx. and Hwy. 1 are both "C", and the Am. Dlx. is thinner with the back (not fretboard) side more flat. It is a minor difference, but it is there.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:11 AM

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply... I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for now.

best'
Taylorplayer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification