The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM

Mine pops up a bit....kind of half way in, halfway out.

I'm surprised you aren't feeling you're getting the "air/space" though. That's definitely something the mic is supposed to accomplish. It's not a super "night and day" kind of thing...I mean it won't be all top end and reverb or anything, but it should bring you MUCH closer to what an "acoustic" guitar sounds like....it's a subtle but solid difference to me.

Right now I am amazed that, on each of my 3 guitars, I can turn the PA off and on and I feel almost as if all that happens is that the guitar is louder/quieter. I mean, the Trinity system I'm using really does a great job of bringing out the nuances of each guitar in an idividual way. My playing style doesn't change at all and this is the first system I've been able to make that claim with.

[dt]
..:: http://liontamersblues.tumblr.com/ ::..
Old 11-19-2008, 08:57 PM

mmm i think maybe i expected too much heh...

like i was waiting for like a big hall reverb kinda sound and i didn't get that... and i overlooked listening out for the nuances heh.

mmm maybe i should eq my guitar that way too huh... that it's just louder version plugged in.. i kept just tryin to make it natural soundin.. which is prob the 1st step anyhow...
Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
I can't see from that angle in the pics...

but heylo and doug,

does the mic pop up above the soundhole?
not in Dieter's gutar. I usually keep the mic a bit below the soundhole as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
mmm i think maybe i expected too much heh...

like i was waiting for like a big hall reverb kinda sound and i didn't get that... and i overlooked listening out for the nuances heh.

mmm maybe i should eq my guitar that way too huh... that it's just louder version plugged in.. i kept just tryin to make it natural soundin.. which is prob the 1st step anyhow...

Yeah, I think the thing that really worked for me was to listen carefully to the guitar, studying its nuances and THEN turn on the PA. Then, I tried to tweak towards the the acoustic sound I had heard. Obviously nothing electric sounds EXACTLY like an acoustic guitar but, with a little patience and tweaking that system, you should be able to negligably close.

Remember to go back and forth, though...and be honest with yourself about what you're hearing. It seemed to go better for me once I decided to forego building an "idealised" sound and, instead, just let my guitars sound like themselves and shine. It was quite rewarding break-through!

[dt]
..:: http://liontamersblues.tumblr.com/ ::..
Old 11-20-2008, 12:58 AM

yeah i think i went for an ideal plugged in sound rather than make it as close to my guitar as possible.. because i know in my mind in a band.. to make a guitar sound like just itself ain't gonna help much? like I know how much it's thinned out in a band to make its presence heard.

So I think subconsciously i've been trying to come to a compromise.. somewhere in the middle... which i'm beginning to realize isn't the solution.. I should plan to either EQ it the way it sounds or EQ it perfectly for a band.. but then when I'd play solo then it'd be thin-sounding. So I think I should EQ it to be great solo, and let the PA and external EQ to fix it for a band right? makes more sense to me..

I think yest it sounded like it had too much bass and too much treble...lost quite abit of the body, perhaps cut too much mids huh.. i didn't push any knobs to the + region definitely.. i tried much much to just cut and not add.. heh takes alot of self control!

looks like more visits to church soon!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification